• Advertisement

Browning auto 5

Classifieds for whatever shoots.

Browning auto 5

Postby chadbragg » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:29 pm

I am on the hunt for a browning auto 5 magnum. If anyone has one, knows someone with one, or a pawn/gun store with one let me know. The rougher the condition the better for my needs as i will completely refinish it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Re: Browning auto 5

Postby huntall » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:36 pm

I never had one, but I have always wanted one since I was a young kid. Classic gun
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:54 pm

huntall wrote:I never had one, but I have always wanted one since I was a young kid. Classic gun

Same here. Actually put one in layaway back in 1994 but didn't have the funds to get it out. Ended up using the $$ i had paid towards a marlin 22mag.

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby stickers » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:06 am

Wish I had known this a few weeks ago. I have one that I sent off to get the barrel cut down to 26" and threaded for chokes. Now I got to see what it will do. If it is decent then I will get a good Cerakote finish put on that cheap worthless Belgium steel that Browning used and replace wood with synthetic. Here is something to remember. The one's made in Miroku, Japan are much better A5s than Belgium. The steel is the best that Browning ever used.
stickers
Non-Typical

Postby stickers » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:26 am

Also meant to tell you to check on GunBroker.com . They always have quite a few on there it seems. Some pretty good deals sometimes
stickers
Non-Typical

Postby gtk » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:42 am

What's up with the older brownings ? I saw two other requests this morning on other sites, requesting the same thing.. all say "condition doesn't matter"
gtk
Admin

Postby chadbragg » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:07 am

GTK this is what most people are doing.

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:10 am

stickers wrote:Wish I had known this a few weeks ago. I have one that I sent off to get the barrel cut down to 26" and threaded for chokes. Now I got to see what it will do. If it is decent then I will get a good Cerakote finish put on that cheap worthless Belgium steel that Browning used and replace wood with synthetic. Here is something to remember. The one's made in Miroku, Japan are much better A5s than Belgium. The steel is the best that Browning ever used.

Ive been watching. And bidding just havent found one that dont go above my limit. I am wanting to find one around 500 but would go up to 600. I already have a factory synthetic stock sitting in my safe. Just need the gun. Image

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby stickers » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:24 am

chadbragg wrote:Image

I had no idea people were doing that to them. So much for my "original" idea, ha. But my idea was more out of necessity cause I cant lug that 32" barrel around anymore. Looks good.
stickers
Non-Typical

Postby chadbragg » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:06 am

stickers wrote:
chadbragg wrote:Image

I had no idea people were doing that to them. So much for my "original" idea, ha. But my idea was more out of necessity cause I cant lug that 32" barrel around anymore. Looks good.

I had the same idea and also thought it was "my" idea. Messaged a buddy that does coating and dipping and he said its what everyone is doing. Older Remingtons, brownings, and stevens. I think they look awesome. Image

Ive always wanted a hump back as thats what i started huntin with. My grand daddy had a sweet 16. My cousin got it when he passed.

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby stickers » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:35 am

Who is doing the Cerakote on that gun? Anything looks better with Cerakote .
stickers
Non-Typical

Postby gtk » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:42 pm

have you thought about getting one of those old Remington "humpbacks" and doing that to it ?
gtk
Admin

Postby chadbragg » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:44 pm

stickers wrote:Who is doing the Cerakote on that gun? Anything looks better with Cerakote .

Jeremy thrasher here locally. He owns thrashers taxidermy.

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:13 pm

gtk wrote:have you thought about getting one of those old Remington "humpbacks" and doing that to it ?

I dont think they were 3" guns

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:37 pm

Can I ask, Why do you want to change a perfectly good firearm to look like a new one? I have 2 Browning's a 12 and a 20. I will never change the way they look just to fit the modern world. But that is just me. I also dislike people taking Fine Antique pieces and doing the so called distressing on them.
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby stickers » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:00 pm

For the most part I agree Jbull. I never could do that to one in good condition such as this one. Problem is there are not many around in good condition that people are willing to part with especially the magnums. At least I know I cant part with my magnums even though I dont think I am brave enough to shoot them much anymore with heavy loads. :smash: :smash: :smash:

stickers
Non-Typical

Postby chadbragg » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:02 pm

jbullard1 wrote:Can I ask, Why do you want to change a perfectly good firearm to look like a new one? I have 2 Browning's a 12 and a 20. I will never change the way they look just to fit the modern world. But that is just me. I also dislike people taking Fine Antique pieces and doing the so called distressing on them.

Mainly because its what i want.....

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:40 pm

stickers wrote:For the most part I agree Jbull. I never could do that to one in good condition such as this one. Problem is there are not many around in good condition that people are willing to part with especially the magnums. At least I know I cant part with my magnums even though I dont think I am brave enough to shoot them much anymore with heavy loads. :smash: :smash: :smash:

Yes stickers is spot on, most magnums that are out there available are rough! Busted stocks, worn finish, pitted barrels and such. I plan to use it in mainly adverse conditions so coating it makes sense. Im not looking for a safe queen.

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby stickers » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:41 am

chadbragg wrote:
stickers wrote:For the most part I agree Jbull. I never could do that to one in good condition such as this one. Problem is there are not many around in good condition that people are willing to part with especially the magnums. At least I know I cant part with my magnums even though I dont think I am brave enough to shoot them much anymore with heavy loads. :smash: :smash: :smash:

Yes stickers is spot on, most magnums that are out there available are rough! Busted stocks, worn finish, pitted barrels and such. I plan to use it in mainly adverse conditions so coating it makes sense. Im not looking for a safe queen.

You might look into getting the new A5 if you definitely want a magnum and you are going to use it a lot. They are much much better guns and hold up 1000x better. Most of all they dont kick like a mule with a magnum load. The feel of the new ones is exactly the same if not better because they are lighter. My Dad could have funded my college education with what we spent on those magnums. The recoil and the free floating barrel just beats both you and them to death. I would never recommend them for daily shooter.
stickers
Non-Typical

Postby chadbragg » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:16 am

stickers wrote:
chadbragg wrote:

You might look into getting the new A5 if you definitely want a magnum and you are going to use it a lot. They are much much better guns and hold up 1000x better. Most of all they dont kick like a mule with a magnum load. The feel of the new ones is exactly the same if not better because they are lighter. My Dad could have funded my college education with what we spent on those magnums. The recoil and the free floating barrel just beats both you and them to death. I would never recommend them for daily shooter.

Yeah i love the feel of the new ones. I have a sx3 i absolutely love just wanting a humpback.

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby stickers » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:53 am

The new ones are humbacked just as much as the old ones. I put my old one side by side with new one to see if any difference. Only difference is the internal workings on new ones are much better(same as Benelli) and they dont kick near as much as the old ones.
stickers
Non-Typical

Postby chadbragg » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:54 pm

stickers wrote:The new ones are humbacked just as much as the old ones. I put my old one side by side with new one to see if any difference. Only difference is the internal workings on new ones are much better(same as Benelli) and they dont kick near as much as the old ones.

I really like the looks of the wicked wing. Just dont like the price tag!

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:20 am

Chad, My father and I each had one but they both sat under Katrina water for almost a month before getting back to them. Needless to say they were rusted beyond repair. I brought them to a gunsmith and he told me he couldn't do anything with them. One of my favorite guns I have owned over the years. In all I lost 7 guns during Katrina due to rusting. It was amazing to see how the barrel was actually peeling on the inside. I couldn't take all my guns due to the fact I didn't have room for them with all the other things we had packed when we evacuated.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby stickers » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:48 am

That is aweful. Hate that for you. I think this guy is about the best there is at restoring Brownings.

www.artsgunshop.com/
stickers
Non-Typical

Return to Guns & Bows