• Advertisement

How good is a deer's nose?

Whatever you want to discuss

How good is a deer's nose?

Postby Bullie » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:57 pm

Back in the day (I love that phrase) it seemed like there was quite a bit more deer movement during daylight hours. It was common to see deer searching for food just before dark and for awhile after sunrise. But, that was before we thought it was ok to dump feed out on the ground or plant food plots specifically to feed them. Deer had to search for their food. They had to find the trees that were dropping acorns, and were often seen wandering from one to the next.

Is is easier for them to find an acorn with their eyes or nose? I really don't know for sure. But, I do know that feed piles don't move around and corn in a trough is easy to find in the dark. Food plots are usually in the same place every night too. And, where do the hunters all hang out now? We used to hunt creek and fence crossings and other funnels. We used to hunt acorns in the afternoon and between feeding in bedding areas in the mornings. Now people head to the box stands next to feeders and food plots and then sit there and wonder why they don't see many deer in the daylight.
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Re: How good is a deer's nose?

Postby terry08 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:31 pm

Bullie wrote:Back in the day (I love that phrase) it seemed like there was quite a bit more deer movement during daylight hours. It was common to see deer searching for food just before dark and for awhile after sunrise. But, that was before we thought it was ok to dump feed out on the ground or plant food plots specifically to feed them. Deer had to search for their food. They had to find the trees that were dropping acorns, and were often seen wandering from one to the next.

Is is easier for them to find an acorn with their eyes or nose? I really don't know for sure. But, I do know that feed piles don't move around and corn in a trough is easy to find in the dark. Food plots are usually in the same place every night too. And, where do the hunters all hang out now? We used to hunt creek and fence crossings and other funnels. We used to hunt acorns in the afternoon and between feeding in bedding areas in the mornings. Now people head to the box stands next to feeders and food plots and then sit there and wonder why they don't see many deer in the daylight.

So very true.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:44 pm

So true I talk to people all the time that says how lucky I am about harvesting deer most hunters are too lazy to put forth the effort to be successful harvesting mature bucks it takes foot on the ground effort scouting finding fresh sign deer don't always do the same thing especially on years of heavy mast I won't say you can't harvest a big buck on a feeder or food plot it does happen occasions but if you go to his house your chances of seeing him in daylight are so much better I hunt food Knowing what food to target at different times in the season is the key deer are animals of darkness most movement is at night the best time to encounter a buck is during the rut when they are with does or late season after the rut on secluded food sources they will feed mid day find these and you can be successful the only time I hunt food plots is with youth hunters and my wife I don't cary a weapon there's nothing wrong with hunting feeders and food plots but if you want a big boy you need to change your hunting style I scout every day when I am hunting sometimes an hour and sometimes 3 hours I find fresh sign I hunt it pay attention to the wind try to figure where he sleeps and where he eats when the wind is. Right hunt if you aren't successful tomorrow is another day I never sit a stand more than 2 sits in consession this method may not be the best but it works for me

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby jv » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:57 pm

For once Bullie I agree with what you just said. :roll:
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby Bullie » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:13 pm

jv wrote:For once Bullie I agree with what you just said. :roll:

Glad you are finally right about something jv. ;)

Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby Bullie » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:23 pm

Saw lots and lots of pictures on the facebook this morning. Most of the folks were sitting on a food plot. In the morning. Right after it got done being night. LOL :? Am I the only one that figures that deer run off when a hunter shuffles across a food plot at first light and climbs into a shooting house?

Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby jbullard1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:34 pm

As my luck goes I was under a CHX 613 Mack truck getting it ready to hit the highway :W: :bash: :bash:
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby Bullie » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:38 pm

jbullard1 wrote:As my luck goes I was under a CHX 613 Mack truck getting it ready to hit the highway :W: :bash: :bash:

Well, I am too dumb to work on something that big but I have been into a fellow's 9.8 Nissan 4 Stroke most of the day. Laying those things down on the wrong side causes issues.

Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby chadbragg » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:44 pm

Bullie wrote:Saw lots and lots of pictures on the facebook this morning. Most of the folks were sitting on a food plot. In the morning. Right after it got done being night. LOL :? Am I the only one that figures that deer run off when a hunter shuffles across a food plot at first light and climbs into a shooting house?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby stickers » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Back in the day it used to be cold ;) . I attribute this to most of the lack of deer movement during daylight. At least before the rut.
stickers
10 Point

Postby LadyHunter » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:04 pm

I seldom hunt food plots, and if I do, it's afternoon. I hunt hardwoods, funnels off the food plots etc. I get bored sitting looking at food plots.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:06 am

I hunt the creek and it is traveled regularly. Funnels, yes, those I hunt too. Over the years I've learned how the local deer travel and how they change their patterns. I change stands according to the wind and if it's morning or evening. Like Steve I don't hunt the same stand twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Return to General Forum