Deer Killing Machine

Re: Pecans

Postby gtk » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:04 am

yeah, i'd say you have a few :)
gtk
Admin

Postby gtk » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:22 am

A co-workers wife made this pie and he brought into work, adn I have to say it was THE best pecan pie i've ever eaten..

Chocolate Pecan Pie

Crust:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 Tbsp. granulated sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 cup cold salted butter, cubed

1/4 cup cold shortening, cubed

4 to 5 Tbsp. ice-water

Chocolate filling:

1 (4-oz) German sweet chocolate baking bar, coarsely chopped

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3 Tbsp. all purpose flour

1/8 tsp. salt

2 large eggs

1 (5oz) can evaporated milk

1 tsp. vanilla extract

Coconut Pecan filling:

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

1/2 cup dark corn syrup

1/4 cup salted butter, melted

2 large eggs

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 cups pecan halves and pieces

2/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut

Prepare the Crust: Stir together flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
Using a pastry blender, cut butter and shortening cubes into flour mixture until mixture resembles small peas. Using a fork, gradually stir in iced water, stirring until ingredients are moistened and dough begins to form a ball and pulls away from sides of bowl, add up to 1 more Tbsp of iced water if necessary. Turn dough out on work surface and shape and flattened into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour, but can chill up to 24 hours

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Unwrap chilled dough disk and place on a lightly floured surface. Let dough stand at room temperature until slightly softened, about 5 mins. Sprinkle dough with flour and roll into a 13-inch circle. Fit dough into a 9-inch glass pie plate. Trim dough, leaving 1/2-inch overhang, fold edges under and crimp. Prick bottom and sides 8 to 10 times with a fork. Freeze about 20 minutes. Line crust with parchment paper, and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake in preheated oven 14 minutes. Remove weights and parchment paper and bake until crust looses its raw dough sheen, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely, about 30 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.

Prepare chocolate filling: Microwave German sweet chocolate and butter in microwave-safe bowl on HIGH until melted and smooth, 1-1 1/2 minutes, stirring at 30-second intervals. Whisk in 3/4 cup sugar, , 3 tablespoons flour and 1/8 teas salt. Add 2 eggs, 1 at a time, whisking just until blended after each addition. Whisk in evaporated milk and vanilla. Pour into prepared pie crust. Shield edges of crust with aluminum foil to avoid over browning. Place on rimmed baking sheet and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. (Pie will be partially baked.)

Prepare Coconut-Pecan filling: Whisk together brown sugar, corn syrup,
1/4 cup melted butter, 2 eggs and teaspoon vanilla until well blended.
Stir in pecans and coconut. Beginning at outer edge of partially baked chocolate filling, carefully spoon coconut pecan filling over chocolate filling, return immediately to oven until crust is golden and center is set, approximately 35 to 40 minutes. Shield crust with foil to avoid over browning. Cool pie completely on a wire rack about 3 hours before cutting. Can serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.
gtk
Admin

Postby Double Gobble » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:31 am

Big Steve I have four pecan trees in my yard. I've lived here for six years and have never saw a pecan on any of these trees. Yo have any idea what the problem could be?
If you keep God first in your life everything else will fall into place.
Double Gobble
4 Point

Postby bigsteve » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:07 pm

Man I don't know some trees don't bare nuts Oaks are the same way

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby triple_duece » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:20 pm

Double Gobble wrote:Big Steve I have four pecan trees in my yard. I've lived here for six years and have never saw a pecan on any of these trees. Yo have any idea what the problem could be?

How old are your trees? Are they planted trees like store bought or came up naturally? I say this because you will never get the big pecans from a tree unless it's a grafted tree. If it's a natural grown tree it may take longer to produce and will make nickel to quarter size nuts. You can google about the trees and learn anything you need to know.

I was once picking up pecans from a giant tree. 3/4 of the ground had big pecans under it. The other 1/4 was small ones. The limb that was yielding the smaller ones had to be growing underneath the graft. The tree was old so I couldn't tell where the graft was.
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby terry08 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:50 pm

gtk wrote:A co-workers wife made this pie and he brought into work, adn I have to say it was THE best pecan pie i've ever eaten..

Chocolate Pecan Pie

Crust:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 Tbsp. granulated sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 cup cold salted butter, cubed

1/4 cup cold shortening, cubed

4 to 5 Tbsp. ice-water

Chocolate filling:

1 (4-oz) German sweet chocolate baking bar, coarsely chopped

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3 Tbsp. all purpose flour

1/8 tsp. salt

2 large eggs

1 (5oz) can evaporated milk

1 tsp. vanilla extract

Coconut Pecan filling:

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

1/2 cup dark corn syrup

1/4 cup salted butter, melted

2 large eggs

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 cups pecan halves and pieces

2/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut

Prepare the Crust: Stir together flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
Using a pastry blender, cut butter and shortening cubes into flour mixture until mixture resembles small peas. Using a fork, gradually stir in iced water, stirring until ingredients are moistened and dough begins to form a ball and pulls away from sides of bowl, add up to 1 more Tbsp of iced water if necessary. Turn dough out on work surface and shape and flattened into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour, but can chill up to 24 hours

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Unwrap chilled dough disk and place on a lightly floured surface. Let dough stand at room temperature until slightly softened, about 5 mins. Sprinkle dough with flour and roll into a 13-inch circle. Fit dough into a 9-inch glass pie plate. Trim dough, leaving 1/2-inch overhang, fold edges under and crimp. Prick bottom and sides 8 to 10 times with a fork. Freeze about 20 minutes. Line crust with parchment paper, and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake in preheated oven 14 minutes. Remove weights and parchment paper and bake until crust looses its raw dough sheen, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely, about 30 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.

Prepare chocolate filling: Microwave German sweet chocolate and butter in microwave-safe bowl on HIGH until melted and smooth, 1-1 1/2 minutes, stirring at 30-second intervals. Whisk in 3/4 cup sugar, , 3 tablespoons flour and 1/8 teas salt. Add 2 eggs, 1 at a time, whisking just until blended after each addition. Whisk in evaporated milk and vanilla. Pour into prepared pie crust. Shield edges of crust with aluminum foil to avoid over browning. Place on rimmed baking sheet and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. (Pie will be partially baked.)

Prepare Coconut-Pecan filling: Whisk together brown sugar, corn syrup,
1/4 cup melted butter, 2 eggs and teaspoon vanilla until well blended.
Stir in pecans and coconut. Beginning at outer edge of partially baked chocolate filling, carefully spoon coconut pecan filling over chocolate filling, return immediately to oven until crust is golden and center is set, approximately 35 to 40 minutes. Shield crust with foil to avoid over browning. Cool pie completely on a wire rack about 3 hours before cutting. Can serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.

Man I would have to take a week off to make that pie. It sounds fabulous.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:53 am

Gonna try this! Yum!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Return to General Forum