• Advertisement

Taking Break

Whatever you want to discuss

Taking Break

Postby terry08 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:59 am

And watching the rain. Saturday, I ground 40 lbs of pork and made whole hog sausage.
Then Sunday, morning I went to the shack before daylight. At 6:30 a.m. the shooting began around me. At 6:40 a large buck with small rack walks out. I was going to let him walk, he went straight to a scent canister that I had hung and was hitting it with his nose. He looked towards me and I realized he was the same five point from last year and maybe the year before. I decided to take him. The 130 grain core lok did the trick, he hit the ground and never moved. I came to get the troy bilt deer hauler, only to find the starter was gone out.
After a cup of coffee and conversation with Sherrie, I remembered the 2 wheel deer cart I had bought several years ago.
Just my luck, the solid rubber tires had split in several places and heading to the back. Both came off in pieces. Oh well, I was out of options. I loaded him on it and strapped him down. After pulling him out of the water and down the gas line. I headed to the house to get rid of the rifle. Another cup of coffee and talking to Sherrie, about possible heart attack, I headed back. Made it half way down the fire break. Then repeated the previous sentence. After another coffee I headed back determined to complete the pull. I can assure you that those rims don't pull well in soft wet ground. Finally got to the skinning tree, another break taken. Got him skinned and quartered and on ice. Sliced the back straps up tenderized & vac sealed all but enough for traditional supper of fried back strap and French fries. I will have this issue solved before taking another one.
By the way, he was legal after measurement was taken. 80 lbs of dressed meat. So I guessed he was around 140 to 150 pounds on the hoof.
Although by the time the ordeal was over, I would have swore he weighed 800 lbs at the very least.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: Taking Break

Postby glenn » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:13 pm

Congratulations, both on killing him and surviving it too. There was a time I could grab a 200 lb buck by the horns, swing him up on my back and pack a mile or more out of the woods. Now I struggle to get an 80 pound doe up on the back of a 4-wheeler. So yeah, I know exactly where you are coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:29 pm

glenn wrote:Congratulations, both on killing him and surviving it too. There was a time I could grab a 200 lb buck by the horns, swing him up on my back and pack a mile or more out of the woods. Now I struggle to get an 80 pound doe up on the back of a 4-wheeler. So yeah, I know exactly where you are coming from.

Glenn, I am paying for it today. The lower back has severe pain at the right hip. And was up half the night, with neck pain. Sherrie, said just four years ago I would have done just what you said. Time ain't our friend. If I killed one like yours or chad's. I would have to build a fire and eat what I could on the site and leave the rest for the buzzards. Got to get a starter for the deer hauler. That dump trailer, is a life saver. Even if I had a Ranger, or four wheeler. I would have the trailer hooked behind it. Just let it down and pull the deer in, his weight will tilt it back down and it locks. Best 99.00 purchase I ever made.

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:37 pm

I hope you get over it soon so you get back after them.

Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:24 pm

I hear both of you, it would probably do me in to gave to drag one out these days.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:33 am

Old man's best friendImage

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby terry08 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:21 am

bigsteve wrote:Old man's best friendImage

Steve, is that one home made. Haven't seen it anywhere.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:07 pm

Yep it's home made cabellas use to sell one like it a kid can pull a grown buck with ease it's small and compact the frame is 38" X 17" X 9" sides it has 20" tires they are set 1" forward of center the tires are tilted in at the top to eliminate tiping made out of 3/4" tubing 1" X 1/8" flat bar and a small piece of expanded metal have used many carts this one is the best I have ever used

bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby stickers » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:13 am

bigsteve wrote:Old man's best friendImage

I like that cart. Where did you get the tires? Did you just weld the spindles on tilted downwards to make tires tilt?
stickers
10 Point

Postby bigsteve » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:45 am

Slotted the forks the outside one is about 3/8" higher than the inside got the bike at goodwill $10 18" wheels will work but 20" is better

bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Return to General Forum