• Advertisement

Onions?

Whatever you want to discuss

Onions?

Postby RoadRanger » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:30 am

So my wife has been dog sick for four full days with a stomach flu. Nothing helps and it's been hard around here watching her suffer. So Saturday afternoon my mother in law called and suggested we get two white onions and cut them down the middle, place them in a bowl around the house and to also put a slice in each one of Jennifer's socks on the bottom of her feet.

This was the dumbest crap I've ever heard honestly but apparently it's a thing that's been done for centuries. The theory is the cut onion absorbs the toxins and sickness in the air and the ones on your feet can affect many different things and illnesses in the body.

I am not a full on believer in this BUT I swear to y'all that literally within an hour she started looking better. It's now been several hours and although she isn't great she is laughing at jokes, telling stories etc like normal. Her symptoms are subsiding greatly. Is this really working and if not what are the odds that after 4 full sick days she made the turn for the better right when the onions were set out?
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Re: Onions?

Postby glenn » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:41 am

The logical side of me would say it's been 4 days, it was time to get better.

The somewhat educated side would say that most medicine is made from plants, so it's very possible. However, if it's that common, you would think a research scientist would have looked into it by now.

Finally, the believer in me says if you believe in something strong enough, anything is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:19 am

As a child, our mother would rub a product on our chest whenever we got sick. It resembled vicks vapor rub. But the name was oniontene, my lord it stunk, but I must say it seemed to cure anything. I have searched for it over the years but to no avail. Also I can't find any history or info on the Web pertaining to it.
Sherrie, is still not convinced such a product ever existed.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:26 am

Just found a couple of blogs stating that I am so old, that I remember oniontene, an ointment used for burns and other illnesses. Now I have proof to show Sherrie.

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:37 pm

Just an update, we stayed up till 1 or so watching the new year stuff on tv. She woke me up at ten this morning and said she feels amazing!! So what are the odds nothing worked and the moment onions were used she made a 180 degree turn and feels great.
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:31 pm

Seems like it is a 4 or 5 day stomach bug. Smacko, and myself, seem to have it now.
May just be coincidence on the onions. Or maybe they worked. As long as she is better, that's all that matters.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:58 pm

I have a cold. I wonder if it would help me..... Oh, heck, I'm out of onions.
So glad she is feeling better. I have no idea if it was the onions that helped her or if it was just time for her to get over it, but I don't doubt anything, and I am a nurse.
2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:35 pm

Flipper, get some onions. I'm a believer now and what harm would it do? From the reading I've done there it's something to it. Having them on your feet while you're sleeping and cut in bowls around the house just does something
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:20 am

Ranger, you are a gift to future generations, when it comes to keeping old wife's tales from being lost forever. Every now and then someone like you has great success with such remedies or thinks they do. Either way without even knowing it they have given new life to a much forgotten old wife tale.
Thanks to you, many will read and pass along your success to others.
Thank you for resurrecting a very valuable OLD WIFE'S TALE.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:18 am

Since I just bought a sack which will most likely go bad, before we use them all. I am about to stink up the house and see what happens.
http://healthybliss.net/healing-power-o ... s-and-flu/

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:41 am

i may not believe 100% in that stuff, but I have learned to never ever discount the old folks remedies
gtk
Admin

Return to General Forum