• Advertisement

Shed antlers

Whatever you want to discuss

Shed antlers

Postby Surveyorshawn » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:06 am

Have any of you done much shed antler hunting here in MS? What kind of luck have you had. Anyone use any dogs to help hunt antlers? I've read a few articles and seen some videos in which people were shed hunting with dogs and finding a good many of them. It's tough to find shed antlers down here in South MS as thick as it is, and it seems like it would be pretty fun with a trained dog.
Truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself. - St. Augustine
Surveyorshawn
Spike

Re: Shed antlers

Postby missed mallards » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:15 pm

I've picked up a few chasing turkeys. Went with a guy who had a dog and he was awesome. Need to startem young from my understanding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
missed mallards
button buck

Postby LadyHunter » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:38 pm

I have never had much luck just hunting for them. Found a few during turkey season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:24 am

I have found a few singles and a couple of sets. They are hard to find. One of my dogs did find one once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 pm

i've picked up several, but rarely from actively "looking" for them. I picked up several while in colorado..

when actively looking for them, i search fields, and deer trails along edges of fields.
gtk
Admin

Postby Bloodhound » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:21 pm

Surveyorshawn wrote:Have any of you done much shed antler hunting here in MS? What kind of luck have you had. Anyone use any dogs to help hunt antlers? I've read a few articles and seen some videos in which people were shed hunting with dogs and finding a good many of them. It's tough to find shed antlers down here in South MS as thick as it is, and it seems like it would be pretty fun with a trained dog.
I found all of these in late Feb this year on my place in Alabama. All in about 3 hours time. None were fresh, I don't think they had started dropping yet.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Don't sweat the petty stuff.....
And don't pet the sweaty stuff.
Bloodhound
8 Point

Shed antlers

Postby triple_duece » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:16 pm

Found most of mine scouting for deer during the hunting season. Our deer don't start dropping till late march and most in April. The floor is thick with greenery by that time. Unless you can find them in food plots or trails, it's just pure luck.

Where I have had success was transition areas, creeks, logs crossing trails and where trail lead to fences that they jump. Other than that it's pot luck w me.
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby Surveyorshawn » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:15 pm

Yeah, I've found most of my Mississippi sheds along fencelines while surveying or painting land lines, and a few while walking deer trails. I found one in a previous season's scrape while scouting, of all places! I found a bunch in Iowa around the edges of cornfields and in Wisconsin in what they thought were thickets (they need to come down here, lol).
Truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself. - St. Augustine
Surveyorshawn
Spike

Return to General Forum