• Advertisement

Request From A Dear Friend

Whatever you want to discuss

Request From A Dear Friend

Postby jbullard1 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:35 am

One of my dear friends has asked me and my bride to travel into the "Show Me State" this weekend for a Memorial service for her late father. He was an avid outdoors man and cast iron lover. It seems his collection of iron has disappeared and she ask me to bring some of mine and help with the cooking. We are carrying these pieces and the menu will be Venison Chili, Beef Stew, Rabbit Pie, Spaghetti with venison sauce, Venison Breakfast Burritos, assorted side dishes,dips and cheese balls in the smaller skillets. I will post pics once we get the meal prepared. This is some of the more modern iron I have restored.
Attachments
DSC_0302 (Medium).JPG
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Re: Request From A Dear Friend

Postby jv » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:03 am

That’s awesome Jerry y’all have a safe trip
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:17 am

wish i lived closer.. I have a piece from my grandmother that really needs reasoning.
gtk
Admin

Postby terry08 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:57 pm

gtk wrote:wish i lived closer.. I have a piece from my grandmother that really needs reasoning.
Very simple to do Greg.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby dustygoodson » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:16 pm

going be some good eatting
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby Curlyjack » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Be careful on the trip, and I love cooking out of iron skillets and dutch ovens.
"TEAM 8 Antler Addicts"

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday. " John Wayne
Curlyjack
Non-Typical

Postby flipper » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:55 am

I just recently brought home a big dutch oven that my late father used on Boy Scout camping trips. It was in a storage building exposed to roaches and mice, and I know you're not supposed to use soap on them, but this thing needs serious cleaning. What should I do? Use it for a decoration?
I want to see the other pics of all the food! I bet that was some kind of good!
2018-19 Team #1 BLADES and BULLETS
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:17 am

flipper wrote:I just recently brought home a big dutch oven that my late father used on Boy Scout camping trips. It was in a storage building exposed to roaches and mice, and I know you're not supposed to use soap on them, but this thing needs serious cleaning. What should I do? Use it for a decoration?
I want to see the other pics of all the food! I bet that was some kind of good!

Flipper, strip it and season it. Don't know how big it is. If it won't fit in the oven. You can season it in a gas grill, if it will fit.
Get yourself a couple of cans of easy off oven cleaner, not the off brands, the yellow can that contains lye. Wear rubber gloves and spray that pot down real good. Place in a heavy black plastic bag and tie it. Leave it in the bag for a week. Then remove it and scrub it down good with brillo pads. Use a plastic tub large enough to hold it. Fill the tub with a 50 /50 mix of vinegar and water and submerge the pot. Leave it in a few days stirring daily. It will come out looking like new iron. Then season it using crisco shortening. I use the crisbee, from Amazon. I season three times raising the temperature each time.

It's more wait time than work time.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:58 am

Terry, this is basically the same way I do mine
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:26 pm

jv wrote:Terry, this is basically the same way I do mine

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:01 pm

Oh yea! Thanks! I will do that. It is a big one, but I think it will fit in the oven fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Follow Terry's directions, I have a lye tank I soak in but for a few pieces his way is good. Spray liberally and wrap in a black garbage bag put in a sunny spot. If it has rust on it you may have to soak it in a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water for the rust. Terry uses crisco for seasoning I use canola oil. I bake at 550° until the iron stops smoking or own a hot grill. You do not want an oily sticky surface.
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby flipper » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:49 am

I ordered the Crisbee stick yesterday and picked up the Easy Off with lye and steel wool. Brillo has soap in it, so I figured I better hunt down plain steel wool. Looking forward to getting this done. Don’t know when the sun is going to shine again, so putting the bagged pot in a sunny location may be a challenge.

flipper
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:27 am

flipper wrote:I ordered the Crisbee stick yesterday and picked up the Easy Off with lye and steel wool. Brillo has soap in it, so I figured I better hunt down plain steel wool. Looking forward to getting this done. Don’t know when the sun is going to shine again, so putting the bagged pot in a sunny location may be a challenge.

The soap won't hurt it. The vinegar bath will remove all residue. If the sun is not an option, let it work indoors. Just be sure to protect the area where the bag is sitting. Also you will need to season it as soon as it comes out of the vinegar. As surface rust will form very rapidly. When you take it out of the vinegar wash it well, and place in the oven to dry. Then start to season it. You will be very pleased with the results.

terry08
Pope&Young

Return to General Forum