Durango 2018

Postby triple_duece » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:10 am

Sorry just had to post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
triple_duece
Non-Typical

Re: Durango 2018

Postby stickers » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:22 pm

gtk wrote:Except for the subdivision, i'm happy right now :)

i've seen the next door neighbors kid, complete with his weird haircut and "bun" on the top.. Probably 14 yrs old. I didn't think much of him, figured typical colorado kid.. then yest, i saw him outside salting down two elk hides :P

i started talking too him and he and his dad just got back from their hunt and killed two bulls.. He was going to tan the hides

I have always wanted to tan an elk hide but I dont have the patience to flesh one. I know where we hunt up there they have containers in town where you can throw your elk hide and they go to the boy scouts flesh and tan them. I guess they use them to learn and raise money. That may have changed since they let girls into the boy scouts now :shock: Not to mention that most of the kids are so stoned I doubt they have the inclination nor desire to do such things
stickers
Non-Typical

Postby gtk » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:15 pm

stickers, i have done deer hides, and it was a good bit of work. Elk, I imagine, will be a ton of work. However, i figure with the winters out here, i will have nothing else to do but tinker in the garage on something like tanning an elk hide.

currently the hide is at a taxidermist that lives nearby. He said I could store it at his place and once i flesh it out, he would salt it for me. after I flesh and salt it, he can send it off and they will tan it for me, but it will cost about 350.

btw, we are expecting several days of snow next week, with 1-3 inches accumulation each day
gtk
Admin

Postby stickers » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:48 pm

gtk wrote:stickers, i have done deer hides, and it was a good bit of work. Elk, I imagine, will be a ton of work. However, i figure with the winters out here, i will have nothing else to do but tinker in the garage on something like tanning an elk hide.

currently the hide is at a taxidermist that lives nearby. He said I could store it at his place and once i flesh it out, he would salt it for me. after I flesh and salt it, he can send it off and they will tan it for me, but it will cost about 350.

btw, we are expecting several days of snow next week, with 1-3 inches accumulation each day

I hope they get snow where we hunt by the fourth season. So far it has been hot and dry. I had heard tanning has gone up a lot. I used to get a lot of beavers that I trapped tanned and then sent them off to have the hides made into a blanket. Problem was is that it never gets cold enough in MS for me to even think about using the beaver blanket, ha.
stickers
Non-Typical

Previous

Return to General Forum