• Advertisement

Game retrieval

Whatever you want to discuss

Game retrieval

Postby missed mallards » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:07 pm

At home with the young one fighting the ole stomach virus. I got time to think lol.

Does the act of retrieving game influence how you hunt?

In short, does the retrieval influence on where you hunt? Does it affect what weapon you choose to hunt with?

I know people have different thoughts on it and figured I’d ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
missed mallards
4 Point

Re: Game retrieval

Postby gtk » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:15 am

The older I get, the more it influences me :) Also the type game I am hunting.. If hunting elk, i am going to take whatever chance I have...

hunting deer? Well, I have let MANY a deer walk because I didn't want to fool with cleaning or dragging them out.. Several times at our club,I woudl be thinking about "if I shot that deer, it would interfere with breakfast" , so I didn't :W:
gtk
Admin

Postby LadyHunter » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:37 am

I agree there are times when I watch deer and think, it's late, its cold, its trying to rain, etc...and know I will let them walk because I don't want to drag it out and clean it.

True story..I shot a bobcat this week, Doug said when he heard me shoot all he could think was, well dang now I have to clean a deer! Ha

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby missed mallards » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:09 am

I hadn’t ever thought much on it until the other evening. I’ve let several walk just because. But most wouldn’t have been wall approved deer.

Had an opportunity at a great deer by any standards and couldn’t bring myself to shoot him. On public land to boot. Weighed in the effort it’d be to find him (coyotes prevent leaving him), the distance to the truck, the water obstacles, and other excuses and I went home without releasing the arrow.

Laziness I guess. Just couldn’t do it. If he lets me get in there with a rifle where I can anchor him I may try it again. Long hike for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
missed mallards
4 Point

Postby triple_duece » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:07 pm

On public the further I go back the bigger the deer have to be. I’ve passed more than I want to admit.

On private very rarely will I kill in the evening, has to be something special. I have 8 good deer mounted, some are euro’s. Two out of the 8 was killed in the evening.

In the big picture, it always depends where your at in life w the 5 stages of deer hunting, age has a big influence on both stage and drive. Always, hunt how you want and not how others want you to hunt. We don’t have trophy seasons, we have deer seasons. And remember to bend your ways so kids can go through their own progression

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
triple_duece
Non-Typical

Postby Curlyjack » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:05 pm

The older I get the more I watch and just enjoy being in the woods. Not quite as apt to shoot a young deer or a small buck as I once was. But yes retrieval has a lot to do with it also. It also decides which stand I may go to depending on the weather.
"TEAM 8 Antler Addicts"

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday. " John Wayne
Curlyjack
Non-Typical

Return to General Forum