• Advertisement

Hogs?

Whatever you want to discuss

Hogs?

Postby missed mallards » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:44 pm

For those that hunt around heavy hog populations, how do u go about setting up for deer?

They seemingly are pushing the deer around where I’m hunting. Getting quiet old as I don’t have anything for them. They cause a lot of headache for me during the spring summer so I don’t have any love for them.

Never have hunted with a lot of hogs and am playing a non stop game of catch up. To the point, the deer have literally up and left.

Just curious how y’all adapt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
missed mallards
4 Point

Re: Hogs?

Postby chadbragg » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:51 pm

missed mallards wrote:For those that hunt around heavy hog populations, how do u go about setting up for deer?

They seemingly are pushing the deer around where I’m hunting. Getting quiet old as I don’t have anything for them. They cause a lot of headache for me during the spring summer so I don’t have any love for them.

Never have hunted with a lot of hogs and am playing a non stop game of catch up. To the point, the deer have literally up and left.

Just curious how y’all adapt

We have them on a couple places I hunt. Once we shoot them they seem to relocate. I've killed 2 this year with my bow. Keep expecting to see them away. This is why I use an ar15.

TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby Kev1 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:22 am

Shoot everyone you get a chance at! They will push all your deer out and eat up all the turkey eggs, chicks, and adult birds if they catchem. I was in a lease several years back, were hogs dang near destroyed it, food plots and wild life.

Kev1
button buck

Postby LadyHunter » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:45 pm

I use to have a large hog population on my lease, but all the surrounding leases joined with us in declaring war on them. We killed a lot, and I mean a lot! And I enjoyed hunting them. But we no longer see any, the more pressure you put on them, the faster they move on,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby missed mallards » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:10 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Public ground so pressure is prevalent. It seems as though as soon as the acorns drop the race is on! Between the other hunters and hogs it’s been a crazy game trying to figure out the deer. One I’m loosing to boot. Almost as though I need a magical ball to know what tree is next so that maybe I can be there first rather than meeting up with the hogs as they devour the mast crop.

I wish I could hunt with an ar but can’t. Lead poisoning does do wonders. If I knew I wouldn’t get wrote up for wanton waste I’d lay them down. Don’t know how that’d be looked upon, but sure it wouldn’t be in my favor. Just a big rat in my book, but they do affect me differently than most as their destruction causes a Heap of paperwork lol.

missed mallards
4 Point

Postby triple_duece » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:17 pm

missed mallards wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Public ground so pressure is prevalent. It seems as though as soon as the acorns drop the race is on! Between the other hunters and hogs it’s been a crazy game trying to figure out the deer. One I’m loosing to boot. Almost as though I need a magical ball to know what tree is next so that maybe I can be there first rather than meeting up with the hogs as they devour the mast crop.

I wish I could hunt with an ar but can’t. Lead poisoning does do wonders. If I knew I wouldn’t get wrote up for wanton waste I’d lay them down. Don’t know how that’d be looked upon, but sure it wouldn’t be in my favor. Just a big rat in my book, but they do affect me differently than most as their destruction causes a Heap of paperwork lol.

Every green jeans and federal warden has told me to shoot them all whether you bring them out or not.

As for hunting public it’s just what it is. Scouted today and there is hog and deer tracks on the same beaten down trail. Find a heavily used trail and deer use it. Generally if your hunting wet areas your chances improve on hog sightings. Hopefully this weekend we kill both. I will bring more than 4 rounds lol.

triple_duece
Non-Typical

Postby chadbragg » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:26 pm

missed mallards wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Pigs are considered a nuisance as far as I know. And I hunt with an ar all the time.

TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:54 pm

Hogs are a nuisance, they can be hunted without limit, using whatever weapon is legally in season. I shot several with my 44 mag. Dead pig every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:55 am

We like most in our area(the delta) have a heavy hog population and just about all our members kill them every chance we get. We have a couple that would rather kill a hog then a deer any day. We also have a couple that have hog dogs and after deer season they hunt them almost daily.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Return to General Forum