• Advertisement

So close!

Whatever you want to discuss

So close!

Postby missed mallards » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:24 pm

Today was just one of them days.
It all started when my pc decided I didn’t need to work anymore. That wouldn’t have been too bad except the evenings meetings had to be postponed. Then for giggles I loaded up the new browning or new to me I should say and headed to the range. A half a box later I finally hit the target. Not the bullseye. The Target! I haven’t a clue what that was about but have now got to break the screws on my scope mount as whomever put them on some 20 years ago did a fantastic job. Scope is canted and driving me crazy! Anyway. After 16 rounds I have them stacking. Surprising to be honest.

Anyway. I was close to our farm and being it was already late evening I went in for a scouting/observational sit. I wasn’t to excited as pictures this summer didn’t show much promise. But, the rut changes this place. You may go a month without seeing a living creature and spend the next week in aw. I consider the bucks on it nomadic. They come for the rut and leave when it ends. Or stroll through at 8 pm and leave at 3 am lol. Every year I may see a handful of deer and some years a decent buck or two.

This evening at 4:15 I watched 4 does exit a small patch of brush. To some, that’s nothing, but in 10 years I’ve never seen 4 deer together on this place. Ever! Anyway. 4:20 and big makes his first appearance. I’m 430 yards away, know my hold over, know my wind, and am settled in. One small obstacle and I’m sending it on one of the best deer I’ve ever laid my eyes on. Clean 10, 18” plus wide with the length to match. His g2’s where just beautiful. He makes my 140 on the wall look little. Anyway. Just an all around fine animal.

Then, his body language changes and he posters in a way I had no shot. Low and behold 4 coyotes come down the long turn row and chase all 5 deer to the next county!

I’m sick. Devastated maybe. Going to try and go back in the morning and give it another try.

I could not believe my luck. My fil has been on me about wanting to coyote hunt. I sent his invite as I watched ole big bound across the field. Maybe tomorrow! I was so close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
missed mallards
4 Point

Re: So close!

Postby jv » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:34 pm

Man that’s a bummer but it happens....better luck next time
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:25 am

I have similar problems...

TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:27 am

Kill them yotes. I know that made you sick.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby missed mallards » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:56 am

Got some varmint bullets ordered! Fil is excited so I’m hoping we can thin them out pretty good. Or kill at least 1. My daughter has requested a tanned hide. Hate to disappoint.

On the upside. Hunted the place for the second time this morning and saw 2 more bucks. 3 year old 8 pt that I hope sees 4/5.

And a 4.5 year old 10 pt. I had him at 50 yards for 30 minutes. Probably 17” wide. 20” main beams. Tall. Great deer. Not a whole lot of mass but overall a shooter. He couldn’t smell me and was doing everything in his power to make me move. He stomped. Grunted. Snorted. It was fun to say the least.

And then, i just let him walk. No clue as to why, just didn’t see the need to kill him this morning. Cool deal though, I shot a busted up 7 point some 6 years ago. This deer had his matching acorn looking character on his g2. Still not sure why I let him walk. Really no clue.

I guess I’m hoping my daughter gets a crack at him. Neither of which was the deer from the other evening. Still holding out for him!

missed mallards
4 Point

Postby jv » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:40 am

Hopefully missed mallards your daughter will get a shot at him, sounds like a good deer for her to take ......good luck.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:04 am

He will show back up ...

my first ever bow kill, did NOT happen because of a coyote !
gtk
Admin

Postby LadyHunter » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:23 pm

Sometimes the hunt is not about the kill. Sometimes it is simply about the hunt, the thrill, the excitement, the fun. Letting him walk makes you a hunter, and as long as you are happy it doesn't matter why.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:41 pm

Reminds me of a buck I let walk about 3 years ago. I had seen him on camera and told my husband I wanted to see him in person. I got the chance, but it just didn't seem right. Crosshairs were on his chest and safety off at 40 yards, but I dropped the gun down and waved my hand, telling him "Get out of here." I saw him from a distance last year but couldn't get a good shot. He made it through last season, but I haven't gotten him on camera this year. I wonder about him................ I sure hope your daughter scores with that one you let walk. Hunting is more fun when you think about what you're about to shoot.
2018-19 Team #1 BLADES and BULLETS
flipper
Pope&Young

Return to General Forum