• Advertisement

The farm

Whatever you want to discuss

The farm

Postby chadbragg » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:56 am

After my dad passed away I made the decision to get some pony's and a few cows to maintain the pasture. It started out rough as the 1st 2 cows I bought got out of the barn and went through the fence the 1st day I brought them home. I had to hire a guy with a catch horse and we finally got them rounded up the next day a few miles away. The stress from chasing and handling them caused early stillborn then the mother cow died a few days later.
It is finally coming together and I now have 7 cows and 2 pony's. ImageImage
Here is my 1st successful calf. I have decided to keep him as a bull for breeding. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Re: The farm

Postby flipper » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:17 pm

Enjoy your slow climb in cattle numbers. There will always be headaches with them, but rewards as well. I've been having to feed our 50 something (or more) head while my husband has been recovering from surgery. It has been a fun struggle. I love feeding, driving his tractor, and all that goes with it, but with my full time job and my commute and having my 91 year old mother to tend to an hour from my home, it has worn on me a bit.
2018-19 Team #1 BLADES and BULLETS
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:48 am

Our cows used to get out all the time.. They would usually weight until about 2:00 AM on the worst weather night too.
gtk
Admin

Postby chadbragg » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:36 am

gtk wrote:Our cows used to get out all the time.. They would usually weight until about 2:00 AM on the worst weather night too.

Luckily I have good 6 strand barbed wire fences. Since that 1st day I haven't had to deal with them getting out (knock on wood). I enjoy the interaction with them.

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby stickers » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:07 am

gtk wrote:Our cows used to get out all the time.. They would usually weight until about 2:00 AM on the worst weather night too.

I dont ever recall any of ours ever getting out except for a Gomer Steer/ Gomer Bull we had could walk a cattle gap if he chose to sometimes. He never wandered far and most of the time came back on his own. Now we had a bunch of calves in awful weather at night when it used to be cold in January. All 300 of our momma cows were bred to have calves in Jan or early Feb. Still one of the greatest days of my life is when we had a dispersal sale and sold every last one of them.
stickers
Non-Typical

Postby chadbragg » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:37 pm

stickers wrote:

I dont ever recall any of ours ever getting out except for a Gomer Steer/ Gomer Bull we had could walk a cattle gap if he chose to sometimes. He never wandered far and most of the time came back on his own. Now we had a bunch of calves in awful weather at night when it used to be cold in January. All 300 of our momma cows were bred to have calves in Jan or early Feb. Still one of the greatest days of my life is when we had a dispersal sale and sold every last one of them.

I couldn't imagine 300. My plan is to have 9 cows and a bull once they start dropping sell 7-8 and eat 1. Probably be 2-3yrs before a penny starts coming back.

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby stickers » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:14 am

chadbragg wrote:
stickers wrote:

I couldn't imagine 300. My plan is to have 9 cows and a bull once they start dropping sell 7-8 and eat 1. Probably be 2-3yrs before a penny starts coming back.

Yep, I try not to think about it, ha. We had a total of about 400-450 and then would sell steers off every year.
stickers
Non-Typical

Postby LadyHunter » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:13 pm

I like to look at cows.... In someone else's pasture. One of my best days as a farmer was the day we sold the last of our herd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby dustygoodson » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:42 pm

spring time when ours start getting out when all the green grass start coming up
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Return to General Forum