• Advertisement

Raised Bed Update

Whatever you want to discuss

Raised Bed Update

Postby terry08 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:25 am

Other than the mulch, and more marigolds and herbs, I think I am finished. 12 tomatoes, 6 squash, 12 cucumbers, bell pepper and banana pepper. The front boxes are bush snap beans. First time at raised beds. Hope for a good outcome, this cost a lot more than I anticipated.
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: Raised Bed Update

Postby terry08 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:30 am

terry08 wrote:Other than the mulch, and more marigolds and herbs, I think I am finished. 12 tomatoes, 6 squash, 12 cucumbers, bell pepper and banana pepper. The front boxes are bush snap beans. First time at raised beds. Hope for a good outcome, this cost a lot more than I anticipated.
ImageImageImageImage

Got to remove the stump in the first picture.

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:15 am

i saw a small raised bed in the neighborhood the other day.. had metal sides. supposedly it lets the sun heat up the soil quicker? Also, they had a bunch of milk jugs with water in the beds.. the sun heats the water during the day and helps keep the soil warmer in the cold nights. It's still getting below freezing here at night sometimes.
gtk
Admin

Postby terry08 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:06 pm

gtk wrote:i saw a small raised bed in the neighborhood the other day.. had metal sides. supposedly it lets the sun heat up the soil quicker? Also, they had a bunch of milk jugs with water in the beds.. the sun heats the water during the day and helps keep the soil warmer in the cold nights. It's still getting below freezing here at night sometimes.
Guess it's done differently, in every region. The work is over and just waiting for the harvest. The deer enjoyed my garden last year and the neighbors. This one is right out side the kitchen window. So I can watch closely.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:54 pm

Looks great Terry
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:40 am

Yeah, that’s really pretty Terry. I think you will enjoy the raised beds. You will have to weed at some point, but it’s easier. Looks like you can add to that as time goes on (if needed).Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018-19 Team #1 BLADES and BULLETS
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:49 am

flipper wrote:Yeah, that’s really pretty Terry. I think you will enjoy the raised beds. You will have to weed at some point, but it’s easier. Looks like you can add to that as time goes on (if needed).Image

Flipper, what are the small arches for?

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:53 pm

I lay my frost covers over them if frost is possible. I’ve taken the arches up since the picture. You can put two together for taller plants, like big tomato plants, but mine are usually small enough that single arches are good.

2018-19 Team #1 BLADES and BULLETS
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:49 am

flipper wrote:I lay my frost covers over them if frost is possible. I’ve taken the arches up since the picture. You can put two together for taller plants, like big tomato plants, but mine are usually small enough that single arches are good.

Great idea.

terry08
Pope&Young

Return to General Forum