• Advertisement

Another project question

Whatever you want to discuss

Another project question

Postby flipper » Wed May 22, 2019 10:05 pm

My husband needs a sturdy bridge to cross a creek on our place to access some good hay ground. We estimated 20 feet across and 10 feet wide. It needs to support a tractor along the lines of a Case IH 120. Do any of you have any suggestions about what we need to construct it or any designs, etc., or any advice about how to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018-19 Team #1 BLADES and BULLETS
flipper
Pope&Young

Re: Another project question

Postby chadbragg » Thu May 23, 2019 9:11 am

flipper wrote:My husband needs a sturdy bridge to cross a creek on our place to access some good hay ground. We estimated 20 feet across and 10 feet wide. It needs to support a tractor along the lines of a Case IH 120. Do any of you have any suggestions about what we need to construct it or any designs, etc., or any advice about how to do this?

Local farmers are using railroad box car frames. No idea on the cost.

TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Thu May 23, 2019 9:37 pm

chadbragg wrote:
flipper wrote:My husband needs a sturdy bridge to cross a creek on our place to access some good hay ground. We estimated 20 feet across and 10 feet wide. It needs to support a tractor along the lines of a Case IH 120. Do any of you have any suggestions about what we need to construct it or any designs, etc., or any advice about how to do this?

Local farmers are using railroad box car frames. No idea on the cost.

If you run across someone who knows, I would appreciate that information.

flipper
Pope&Young

Postby Nogocyclist » Fri May 24, 2019 12:09 am

I have never looked into buying a rail car, but doing a search, I found this company. Will give you a starting point anyway. http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds/Listings.php?type=Flat%20Car%20Bridges&fsw=FS
Nogocyclist
10 Point

Postby glenn » Sat May 25, 2019 12:39 am

I don’t know anything about rail cars, but I do know trucking. Permit loads can get extremely expensive. Anything over 8’6” wide will be a permit, but 10 wide is normally not much added trucking cost. When you get over 55’ long or about 45,000 lbs (rule of thumb, it goes by total truck length and/or weight), the money goes up quickly.

You will also be responsible for having a crane, track hoe, 18 wheeler wrecker, or something capable of lifting the weight, on site to offload it upon delivery. A few hundred miles under these guidelines should stay in the hundreds, or close. Beyond the mileage and guidelines, you can quickly get into many thousands of dollars.

The point of all of this is to be sure you ask a lot of questions covering the freight costs and expectations upfront before you make a deal and then find out it will cost you more for freight than the rail car. If at all possible get one all inclusive price white them delivering it and covering the delivery costs in the price of the car. Sorry I get so long winded.

Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Sat May 25, 2019 10:24 am

Have you looked into an old steel frame flatbed semi trailer? Cut the undercarriage out from under it and use it as a bridge. Check truck salvage yards.
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby flipper » Sun May 26, 2019 3:00 pm

glenn wrote:I don’t know anything about rail cars, but I do know trucking. Permit loads can get extremely expensive. Anything over 8’6” wide will be a permit, but 10 wide is normally not much added trucking cost. When you get over 55’ long or about 45,000 lbs (rule of thumb, it goes by total truck length and/or weight), the money goes up quickly.

You will also be responsible for having a crane, track hoe, 18 wheeler wrecker, or something capable of lifting the weight, on site to offload it upon delivery. A few hundred miles under these guidelines should stay in the hundreds, or close. Beyond the mileage and guidelines, you can quickly get into many thousands of dollars.

The point of all of this is to be sure you ask a lot of questions covering the freight costs and expectations upfront before you make a deal and then find out it will cost you more for freight than the rail car. If at all possible get one all inclusive price white them delivering it and covering the delivery costs in the price of the car. Sorry I get so long winded.

Yeah, we decided we’re way too poor for that.

flipper
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Sun May 26, 2019 3:02 pm

jbullard1 wrote:Have you looked into an old steel frame flatbed semi trailer? Cut the undercarriage out from under it and use it as a bridge. Check truck salvage yards.

That’s a good thought! Thanks JB!

flipper
Pope&Young

Postby brewer03 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:45 am

what JB said we have done 2 bridges at our camp out of old flatbed trailers and they work great
Triple Threat 2015- 2016

Serious Six 2014-2015

Rajun Sardis Bucks
2013-2014 deer hunting champs

life is great the oppurtunity to hunt and fish make it even better
brewer03
Pope&Young

Return to General Forum