• Advertisement

Your favorite town to visit

Whatever you want to discuss

Your favorite town to visit

Postby Muleskinner » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:56 am

I will always live in Ms. but as me and the wife and two daughters were on our way up to Branson Mo. a while back we got tired before we got there and decided to find a RV park to rest for the night. My wife looked in our campground listings book and found one in Mountain view Arkansas. I had never even heard of this town but what the heck. We pulled into the campground and set up the camper and decided to go into town for supper. So we just parked by a curb and just walked to stretch our legs some. Listen this was a very relaxing walk. The people in this small ozark town was so polite. The we kept hearing banjos and fiddles playing. We followed the sound and out in the courthouse lawn was some big ole live oak trees and underneath each one of them was a little group of locals playing their banjos and stuff and singing. I asked was their a special even going on or something and was told no. This is just something they all do almost every evening. I was very amazed at the talent there. Then my youngest daughter spotted a candy store A HOMEADE candy store. She had to go well I didn't fuss at all I could smell it all over the area. Anyhow we went in there and this older gentleman owned and operated the shop. He was as friendly as everyone else. Anyhow I asked what the crime rate was in his town and he replied they little petty thieves on a small occasion. That was about it. He pointed out to his old 1976 Buick Skylark car setting beside his store. He said I purchased that car brand new and have never removed the keys out of it here or at my house. He also said if he came to his house and found the door locked that he would have to contact a locksmith to get in that he don't have any idea where the keys are to his house. By talking to the people in the town I have no reason not to believe him either. So if your ever up around that area you should stop in and visit your sure to enjoy.
Muleskinner
Spike

Re: Your favorite town to visit

Postby BigRic » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:23 am

no way you could do that it here. the only music you hear around here is a car going down the street going boommmm ba boom 1/2 mile away.
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby Bootlegger » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:08 am

I loved the Helicopter tour of Table Rock Lake in Branson. I didnt get to see any of the shows due to lack of time. Spent a whole day touring the Bass Pro Shop in Springfield, MO. Cant wait to get the oppertunity to go back and see it again. Hopefully next time i'll get to take in a show or 2 in Branson even. Somewhere outside of Springfield I ate at a Outback that served raw oysters. I nearly made myself sick I ate so much steak and raw oysters chased with ice cold mug beer. Yum!!!!
Bootlegger
6 Point

Postby Taproot » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:19 am

We're way over due for a trip to Mountain View. I used to spend a couple of weekends a year there, fishing the White River.
Taproot
10 Point

Postby BigRic » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:02 am

Bootlegger wrote:I loved the Helicopter tour of Table Rock Lake in Branson. I didn't get to see any of the shows due to lack of time. Spent a whole day touring the Bass Pro Shop in Springfield, MO. Cant wait to get the opportunity to go back and see it again. Hopefully next time i'll get to take in a show or 2 in Branson even. Somewhere outside of Springfield I ate at a Outback that served raw oysters. I nearly made myself sick I ate so much steak and raw oysters chased with ice cold mug beer. Yum!!!!

been on the helo ride my self. it cool. 1 whole day in springfield at bass pro myself also. lots of shows and silver dollar city. We stayed on Table Rock in cabins. to get to them we had to go through the parking lot at silver dollar city. man the shows are alsome. also Shepard's of the hills a must see. One whole week and didn't see it all.
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby Muleskinner » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:14 am

Yes they do put on some great shows. We took a ride on the showboat Branson Belle and went to see Mickey Gilley. We really enjoyed ourselves. I enjoyed what they call riding the ducks. This is an amphibious vehicle that went around Branson and then dove off into tablerock and rode around. But my favorite part is where we stayed at www.coopercreekcampground.com man I tore up them rainbow trout we pulled our camper right up on the bank of lake Taneycomo man that was great.

BigRic wrote:
Bootlegger wrote:I loved the Helicopter tour of Table Rock Lake in Branson. I didn't get to see any of the shows due to lack of time. Spent a whole day touring the Bass Pro Shop in Springfield, MO. Cant wait to get the opportunity to go back and see it again. Hopefully next time i'll get to take in a show or 2 in Branson even. Somewhere outside of Springfield I ate at a Outback that served raw oysters. I nearly made myself sick I ate so much steak and raw oysters chased with ice cold mug beer. Yum!!!!

been on the helo ride my self. it cool. 1 whole day in springfield at bass pro myself also. lots of shows and silver dollar city. We stayed on Table Rock in cabins. to get to them we had to go through the parking lot at silver dollar city. man the shows are alsome. also Shepard's of the hills a must see. One whole week and didn't see it all.
Muleskinner
Spike

Postby BigRic » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:46 am

yeah I for got about the ducks. like when the driver hauled butt down the trail and splashed into the water.
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby SnakeSkinner56 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:41 pm

Been there Muleskinner, maybe the crime rate is so low because there is no alcohol allowed in town, and the county is dry. Great bunch of people and some fine music. I have hunted a buddy`s ranch just south of there. Looking forward to getting back up that way soon.
SnakeSkinner56
Spike

Postby Muleskinner » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:53 pm

Yea if did have to move anywhere beside Jasper county Ms. like I said earlier it would have to be there. man they do not get in no hurry for nothing. They have a little country store called Melons country store. Well we went in there just to pick up soething the wife could cook to eat that night. We were going to run in and right back out NOT. We went in there got what we wanted and standing in a 2 maybe 3 people line to the only cash register. Then the old fello running the store which he is the owner and also has a band called The River Rats. Well he stopped ringing people up and reached under his cash register and pulled out his fiddle and commenced to playing some of the best bluegrass music and singing that I had ever heard. We all that was at the register all just took a seat and got us a cup of coffee. I bet you that we set there for an hour. Then he said are you now ready to checkout we all started getting up and he said hangon one more then you can go. He said for you that are not from Mt. View Arkansas I would like to let you know we don't get in a hurry here. I have to tell you I sure enjoyed that visit. They also have a creek called Sylamore creek we went swimming in boy that water was cold now but it felt good.
Muleskinner
Spike

Postby WGbuckfever » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:58 pm

My In-Laws go there alot to camp out. They love it up there. Me and the family are planning to go on the next trip. If ya'll like staying in RV Parks,
my In-Laws own Easy Daze RV Park in Southaven. 55 and Church rd behind Southaven RV Sales.
WGbuckfever
Boone&Crockett

Postby Part Time Hunter » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:07 am

I haven't been to Mt. View since I was a kid, I might have to go there the next time I take a long weekend.
help preserve our national blast time.
Part Time Hunter
Non-Typical

Postby outdoorswoman » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:19 pm

SnakeSkinner56 wrote:because there is no alcohol allowed in town, and the county is dry. .

learned that the hard way :W: :W: :W: :W:
outdoorswoman
10 Point

Postby jv » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:30 pm

There are a bunch of small towns like that up there.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby razrback » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:41 am

Mountain View is the nicest town in Arkansas, heck any town up in that area is great. I used to turkey hunt in the Ozark National Forest and fish in the White River there at Sylamore Creek. I have also went horse back riding up there in Calico Rock just north of Mountain View it was amazing. Every Saturday night they close down the town square and everyone comes out and picks and sings. It is like the town that time forgot. I love it, its been too long since the last time I was there. Another great place to fish and camp is Bull Shoals. Beautiful land scape up there, nice fishin too.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."
- Ted Nugent
razrback
6 Point

Return to General Forum