• Advertisement

Interesting Read on Guns and yalls favorite.

Whatever you want to discuss

Interesting Read on Guns and yalls favorite.

Postby kevin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:28 pm

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... more-20006

interesting b/c ads like these, and talking heads on TV flat out say that obama has said he will take your guns, when in reality thats just not the truth.

Anywho, what do you guys think about implementing the assault weapons ban again? i dont use these guns or have them or ever try and buy ammo for them, so i have no idea how effective the ban was. Opinions??
kevin
4 Point

Re: Interesting Read on Guns and yalls favorite.

Postby hungryhuntergirl » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:02 pm

I personally dont like cnn...if I am going to follow something I will follow fox news...
There is room for all gods creatures right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!!
hungryhuntergirl
Long-Nosed Nanny

Postby gtk » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:03 pm

The last line says
The Verdict: Misleading. While Obama has supported some measures to limit gun rights, he has backed nothing on the scale suggested in the ad.

I do not support limiting ANY gun rights for law abiding citizens, including assault rifles. I really believe, depending on the political climate at the time, if you allow one ban, more will follow.

We should NOT let the government dictate what guns should/shouldn't be banend, because the government has proven beyond all reasonable doubt that it is mostly incompetent at making wise decisions..

my .02
gtk
Admin

Postby jbullard1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:07 pm

gtk wrote:The last line says
The Verdict: Misleading. While Obama has supported some measures to limit gun rights, he has backed nothing on the scale suggested in the ad.

I do not support limiting ANY gun rights for law abiding citizens, including assault rifles. I really believe, depending on the political climate at the time, if you allow one ban, more will follow.

We should NOT let the government dictate what guns should/shouldn't be banend, because the government has proven beyond all reasonable doubt that it is mostly incompetent at making wise decisions..

my .02

:2TU: :admin: :2TU:
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby hungryhuntergirl » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:14 pm

:rotflol:
There is room for all gods creatures right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!!
hungryhuntergirl
Long-Nosed Nanny

Postby Taproot » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:50 pm

gtk wrote:
I do not support limiting ANY gun rights for law abiding citizens, including assault rifles. I really believe, depending on the political climate at the time, if you allow one ban, more will follow.......

I have to agree 100%. Although an "assault rifle" ban would have very little effect on myself, hunters or anyone else, it will not stop there. Kind of like the "temporary" 3% income tax from the 1860s.
Taproot
10 Point

Postby 3spop » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:51 pm

Taproot wrote:
gtk wrote:
I do not support limiting ANY gun rights for law abiding citizens, including assault rifles. I really believe, depending on the political climate at the time, if you allow one ban, more will follow.......

I have to agree 100%. Although an "assault rifle" ban would have very little effect on myself, hunters or anyone else, it will not stop there. Kind of like the "temporary" 3% income tax from the 1860s.

Taproot, I hope I am taking this the wrong way when I read where you think an assault rifle BAN would have very little effect on yourself, hunters, or anyone else. :cry: I assure you there are a lot of people who would be affected by such a ban.

Kevin,It seems that most Obama supporters all say, "Ya'll think Obama is coming for your guns, and that just is not true!. I have seen his voting record. He DID vote to ban ALL semiautomatic weapons. He supported the dc gun ban. Banning will not keep guns out of criminals hands. Kevin, do you honestly think the guns used in crimes in Clarksdale in the past 15 years were bought from Bruce, or George or at Wal-mart? :nono: Come on man. Obama probably doesn't care about gun ownership either way, but I think he will vote with the folks who want them banned. He always has. He has said that assault weapons have no purpose other than to kill people. I disagree, but that is not the point. A democratically controlled congress with Obama as President will at the very least put the assault weapons back into high gear, and who knows what else. No false statements here.
3spop
Spike

Postby leepurvis » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:35 pm

kevin wrote:....
Anywho, what do you guys think about implementing the assault weapons ban again? i dont use these guns or have them or ever try and buy ammo for them, so i have no idea how effective the ban was. Opinions??

Kevin,
You really need to research the assault weapons ban. It banned more than "assault" weapons. A brief quote:

By former U.S. law the legal term assault weapon included certain specific semi-automatic firearm models by name (e.g., Colt AR-15, H&K G36E, TEC-9, all AK-47s, and Uzis) and other semi-automatic firearms because they possess a minimum set of features from the following list of features:

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

* Folding stock
* Conspicuous pistol grip
* Bayonet mount
* Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
* Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device which enables the launching or firing of rifle grenades)

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

* Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
* Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or silencer
* Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
* Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
* A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:

* Folding or telescoping stock
* Pistol grip
* Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
* Detachable magazine

Although a Ruger 10-22 doesn't fit the above description of an "assault" rifle, if you put an aftermarket stock with a pistol grip and a folding stock, it qualifies as a banned rifle. As you can tell I bolded the "Semi-Automatic" because most of the gun control fanatics in Congress that want to re-intitute the gun ban, want to increase the banned list to include most semi-automatic rifles.

The ban also limited the size of the magazines you could purchase, so if you liked to plink with your 10-22, you had to do it 10 shots at a time or buy a pre-ban magazine.

As a law abiding US Citizen, I feel I should be able to own any firearm I want. In the Army I had a chance to fire the M2 .50cal machine gun. If I had a place to shoot it, the money to buy it, and could afford the ammo, I'd have one in a heartbeat. A 400 hp V-8's got nothing on the power of that thing!
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby kevin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:20 pm

good stuff guys, i wasnt saying i would say "yeah ban assault rifles!!!" just b/c i dont use them.

and i realize that people who dont use guns everyday dont know how slippery a slope is, as indicated by those less than clear cut guidelines, making a ruger 10-22 illegal doesnt take much.

And you are right Pop, i doubt guns used in crimes are purchased legally. And i suppose that with the surplus of weapons we already have in criminals hands just outlawing the maunfacture of them wouldnt help much either.

I grew up in a hunting store, and can recall a few times when seedy people would come in and ask about what i would consider "assault weapons", this particular place didnt sell them, they didnt want that kind of business i guess. But like you said, this place sold a TON of guns and i can only remember a hand full of times that machine gun type guns were ever discussed/sold.

Ok, so say we do away with banning certain types, what do you guys think about tighter control of who can buy them? I def. dont like the ability of buying certain guns at gunshows to circumvent background checks. One idea i have read about (and is quite silly) is requiring you to register all your guns, THEN have the re-registered each year somehow as a way to keep track of them. This is BS and inplausible IMO, can you imagine, rednecks showing up with 50 guns!! i dont know a good solution, but i know these types of assault weapons in the wrong hands are bad news.

How to prevent guns (of any type) from getting into the hands of criminals? Is it impossible? All somebody has to do is get their cousin, aunt, mom, brother, whatever to go buy the gun and give it to them. So are we just spinning our wheels? :bash:
kevin
4 Point

Postby fullstrut12 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:29 pm

The reality is that a gun ban/control, or higher stipulations pertaining to purchasing guns will only effect the law abiding citizens that purchase guns legally. You already have to apply for a permit to own an automatic weapon. The previous criteria concerning simi-auto shotguns would make certain turkey guns illegal, or it would make the use of some replacement stocks on an 1100 illegal. All gun control would do is make the law abiding citizens more susceptible to violent crimes by the thugs that are better armed. It would also stand to reason that it would incriminate some people who had no ill intentions because it may be easier to purchase guns illegally than to go to the local sporting goods store.
fullstrut12
8 Point

Postby Woodwalker » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:01 pm

Obama's voting record states that he is against firearms whether he and his supporters say so or not. Any ban on guns will keep honest people from being armed; thugs are going to have them regardless of how the gov't feels. Most armed robbers don't shop at Wal-mart anyway.I'm against any law that limits "gun rights" to law abiding citizens.
In the woods or at the lake. Please leave message.
Woodwalker
8 Point

Postby razrback » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:34 am

These laws don't make any sense.

It is like one of these politicians in Jackson wanted to passed a law or ordinance so that pawn shops couldn't sell firearms. Makes no freakin sense! A criminal would not go to a store or pawn shop to buy a gun. I know that there are some dumb criminals out there, but if the store is doing the background checks as they should be then a felon is not going to be able to buy. Besides they can get a gun a lot cheaper off of the street than they can from any store.

All of it just :bash: :bash: :livid: ticks me off.

Now I don't think the background checks are a bad idea. After all you don't want any Joe Blow to be able to go into a store and buy a gun.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."
- Ted Nugent
razrback
6 Point

Postby Taproot » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:38 am

3spop wrote:Taproot, I hope I am taking this the wrong way when I read where you think an assault rifle BAN would have very little effect on yourself, hunters, or anyone else. :cry: I assure you there are a lot of people who would be affected by such a ban.

First of all, I am completely and 100% against such a ban, but I stand by my statement. It's hard to explain my reasoning, but here goes: I still don't think (although opposed) that it would dramatically affect gun owners, except for collectors and dealers. Certainly not criminals. In the grand scope of things, it wouldn't be noticable by the general population. That being said, gun-opponents would say, "Hey, that wasn't that bad for the gun enthusiasts. Let's expand this to include xxx, since crimes are still occurring involving these weapons." And the snowball starts rolling down the hill at a blinding speed.

Once again, I do not support this type of ban. It's the finger in the dam of gun control.
Taproot
10 Point

Postby kevin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:50 am

That being said, gun-opponents would say, "Hey, that wasn't that bad for the gun enthusiasts. Let's expand this to include xxx, since crimes are still occurring involving these weapons."

thats my fear. i dont think obama personally gives too much thought to gun control, its his demographic, whatever. just like i dont think john mccain gives too much thought to abortion issues, he knows those who feel strongly about it will vote for him, period.

its these interest groups, people AGAINST guns, that worry me. Politicians see them as potential votes so they court them and give legs to their issues. Their numbers are growing all the time as they try and find places to place the blame other than the people themselves, and guns are an easy target b/c they cant exactly argue back. Then they try and paint anybody who stands up for gun owners rights as a crazy NRA person who lives in the woods and shoots 1000 rounds a day.

i think in the end one of the best ways to try and curve some of the problem is EXTREMELY HARSH penelties for felons being caught with weapons, as of now its a slap on the wrist. You hear about NFL players all the time getting caught with huge stashes of weaponry, i am talking years behind bars if you are a felon and you are caught with a gun.
kevin
4 Point

Postby Part Time Hunter » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:04 am

I don't think that any type of "gun control" will help anything under any circumstances. Guns don't need control, people need control. Figure out a way to change it from gun control to criminal control and the problem is solved.
help preserve our national blast time.
Part Time Hunter
Non-Typical

Postby hungryhuntergirl » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:20 am

Have you guys seen the new NRA ads against obama? Apparently they think he is all about taking our guns away from us...
hungryhuntergirl
Long-Nosed Nanny

Postby brewer03 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:53 am

criminal control would be great. I would vote for public hangings to be brought back, as well as an eye for an eye
Triple Threat 2015- 2016

Serious Six 2014-2015

Rajun Sardis Bucks
2013-2014 deer hunting champs

life is great the oppurtunity to hunt and fish make it even better
brewer03
Pope&Young

Postby dublelung » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:47 am

I'm with ya on that Brewer!
I still hate Commies, even after they changed their name to Liberals.
dublelung
Non-Typical

Postby leepurvis » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:50 pm

kevin wrote:

i think in the end one of the best ways to try and curve some of the problem is EXTREMELY HARSH penelties for felons being caught with weapons, as of now its a slap on the wrist. You hear about NFL players all the time getting caught with huge stashes of weaponry, i am talking years behind bars if you are a felon and you are caught with a gun.

I'd agree with you that one, Kevin. Committing a crime with a gun should be an automatic 10 year sentence on top of any other penalty imposed for a crime and no time off for good behavior or bargaining it down for either penalty.
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Return to General Forum