• Advertisement

clover question

Whatever you want to discuss

clover question

Postby saddaddykiller » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:25 pm

i forgot wut kinda of clover it was...but we got some other day and the guy at coop said it had to be inoculated...i thought that was old time stuff, i thought they did that before they sell it now so the buyer didnt have to??? can anyone enlighten me on this?? and exactly what does inoculate mean when it comes to seeds? i heard from someone its so the turkeys/other birds will not eat the seeds, and i heard it was for enhancement of the growth from someone else....also i know sweet corn has to be inoculated, but why?? would appreciate some answers, thAnks
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Re: clover question

Postby Limb Hangers » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:38 pm

Usually your commercial type clovers are the ones that will come pre-inoculated (Biologic, Pennington, etc). Inoculant is a bacteria that helps the clover fix its on nitrogen. Your waisting your money if you plant clover without inoculant.
Limb Hangers
Spike

Postby Scott » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:41 pm

saddaddykiller wrote:i forgot wut kinda of clover it was...but we got some other day and the guy at coop said it had to be inoculated...i thought that was old time stuff, i thought they did that before they sell it now so the buyer didnt have to??? can anyone enlighten me on this?? and exactly what does inoculate mean when it comes to seeds? i heard from someone its so the turkeys/other birds will not eat the seeds, and i heard it was for enhancement of the growth from someone else....also i know sweet corn has to be inoculated, but why?? would appreciate some answers, thAnks

Saddaddy,
Innoculant is a live bacteria that you mix with your clover seed. It doesn't deter birds or anything like that. Basically the bacteria forms a symbiotic relationship with the clover roots. when I say symbiotic I mean it provides a need for the clover and the clover provides a need for the bacteria. From what I understand the innoculant bacteria is what helps the clover take in nitrogen from the environment or the air for plant utilization.

The innoculant will come in a little bag from the same place you bought your seed. The folks there should give you an innoculant for your specific type (or general type) of clover seed. It's like dirt or a powder that's usually black. Put your seed in a pan or bowl then sprinkle the innoculant on the seed and then sprinkle some sugar water in there and just mix real well. It shouldn't take much sugar water. Just enough to make it stick to the seed. Then you are ready to plant.

Some clover seed like Whitetail Institute or Biologic or Durana come pre-innoculated from the seed plant.
Scott
Spike

Postby saddaddykiller » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:49 pm

thankyou both ....we DID inoculate before planting clover, .....now i have a understanding .
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Return to General Forum