• Advertisement

Tree planting(bareroot)

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Tree planting(bareroot)

Postby huntall » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:22 pm

Today and yesterday my brother and I did some more tractor work boxbladeing and a little bushhogging on the hills that I had not had ready to plant my bareroot trees. I will take a few days off of work and plant next week. I have my sawtooth spaceing of 25 by 25 marked out already.I think I will plant my other oak seedlings on 15 by 15 spaceing. I am planting nuttal, live oak, water oak, chinkapin, dwarf chinkapin, sawtooth, and swamp chestnut. This should be a good mix! I already have almost 100 trees that was 6 feet tall in pots that that I bought and planted in early fall. The ones in pots was shumard, cherry bark, willow oak, scarlet oak, swamp chestnut and northern red oak. I will also be getting 10 hybrid comton oaks( a cross between live oak and overcup oak ) that will be 6 feet tall in pots that I will also be planting next week. Yes I know what you are thinking that you did not know that it was this many types of oaks. That was what I was thinking too when I started learning all the types I would plant in order to get a good mix. The chinkapin makes acorns in as little as 5 years and produces more heavy as it grows, The dwarf chinkapin makes acorns in as little as three years but the tree only gets the size of a large plumb tree. I am going to plant a group of about 40 of these dwarf trees and keep them clean around like I will my sawtooth. I am leaving 3 1/2 acres in middle for a plot. . I think my 3 young boys will appreciate this one day since the two older boys already love to hunt. Does it sound like I have put a lot of thougt into this project? How does this sound to yall?
Last edited by huntall on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Re: Tree planting(bareroot)

Postby FireCloud » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:03 am

It should be an awesome spot! .

Just remember to install protection tubes around your trees or the deer will destroy most of them. And for best growth, keep the area free of grass or weeds around each tree until they get larger.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby sonora redneck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:54 am

Not tryin to ruffle any feathers here but last semester i helped with alot of research for the Forestry department at Mississippi State and a couple of their projects delt with how much the shelter tubes affected tree growth. In every site we went to there was consistently slower growth rates and higher mortality rates for the shelter tube trees. Thats my 2 cents take it for what its worth.
sonora redneck
8 Point

Postby huntall » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:38 pm

I like the idea of tree tubes but the only thing is they cost a bunch unless you are only going to put them on just a few special trees. I dont know about mortality rate but I know a lot of people that really believe in them. I think I will have to get about 50 or 100 and put them on the trees that will be in the main areas that I will keep clean. Some people put the black plastic corragated gutter pipe that they cut to size to protect from deer rubbing. I am going to work real hard the first couple of years to keep weeds and unwanted trees down. I also got 5 pear trees at a good price so I will be planting them around the plot also. It looks like my trees will be here next week instead of this weekend. I would love to get about 6 Japanese persimon trees, but I think they will have to wait till next year.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby huntall » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:37 pm

My bareroot trees just got to my house today. Now all I need is Lazyghost and 2 other volunteers to help plant this weekend!!! :rotflol: :lol:
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby LazyGhost » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:13 pm

huntall wrote:My bareroot trees just got to my house today. Now all I need is Lazyghost and 2 other volunteers to help plant this weekend!!! :rotflol: :lol:

I rented an auger to do my fruit trees. Best money I ever spent. :D

I do plan to go with you one weekend after deer season and check out your place. Hopefully you'll have all those trees planted by then. :2TU:
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:58 pm

NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...LIKE THE SAYING GOES, THE BEST TIME TO PLANT A TREE WAS YESTERDAY.......I HAVE PLANTED THOUSANDS OF LOBLOLLYS AT MY GRANDPAS FARM/AND SAWTOOTH TREES ETC AND IT IS NICE TO WATCH EM GROW....GOOD WORKOUT TOO
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:24 am

huntall wrote:My bareroot trees just got to my house today. Now all I need is Lazyghost and 2 other volunteers to help plant this weekend!!! :rotflol: :lol:

Good luck getting anyone whose name starts with "Lazy" to help! :rotflol:

If you don't get them all planted this weekend, I can possibly help you next weekend, but unfortunately I have to work this weekend or if I happen to get any time to do so, I am going to try my best to hunt for the last time this year.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby huntall » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:27 pm

FireCloud wrote:

If you don't get them all planted this weekend, I can possibly help you next weekend, but unfortunately I have to work this weekend or if I happen to get any time to do so, I am going to try my best to hunt for the last time this year.

I guess I should have tricked Lazy by telling him I had seen a big buck and I needed him to shoot it Sat. :D Thanks for the offer Firecloud, but I took off mon and tue so I will have 4 days to finish so I should be fine.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby LazyGhost » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:01 pm

huntall wrote:
FireCloud wrote:

I guess I should have tricked Lazy by telling him I had seen a big buck and I needed him to shoot it Sat. :D Thanks for the offer Firecloud, but I took off mon and tue so I will have 4 days to finish so I should be fine.

Ya know, I dont know what you guys were thinking when yall chose your names but I put a lot of thought into mine and chose it carefully. :)
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby huntall » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:01 pm

LazyGhost wrote:
huntall wrote:
FireCloud wrote:

Ya know, I dont know what you guys were thinking when yall chose your names but I put a lot of thought into mine and chose it carefully. :)

I figured that part out by myself :D
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Habitat