• Advertisement

Planting Corn and Soybeans Question?

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Planting Corn and Soybeans Question?

Postby buckcrazy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:07 pm

I am looking to plant a couple strips of corn on the outer edges of my 3 acre field. When do you plant corn and do you leave it stand during the winter?
As far as Soybeans, If i were to plant the remainder of the plot in soybean, would you leave it for winter or cut it up and replant for next deer season? I have never planted either before and Im looking to plant something that would benefit the deer in the summer. I know the corn doesnt give the deer any nutrition but i want to create a screen so to speak for the edge of the field.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Re: Planting Corn and Soybeans Question?

Postby saddaddykiller » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:30 pm

weve tried soybeans and the deer eat the plants up when they germinate so it didnt work out ......but deer dont like the corn plants much when they germinate so weve had success with the corn maturing.....the deer go crazy and live in the corn but its always all eaten by september and then the deer leave......we leave some old corn stalks and then plant strips of foodplots in the corn.....if your gonna plant corn you need to plant at least 2 acres of it
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:38 pm

Plant the corn in may. Just watch your local farmers and plant a week or so after them. Roundup ready corn is expensive, but it's nice to be able to spray roundup over the top.

Beans are a lost cause unless your deer population is not too overcrowded, and even then you will have to plant them thick.

Winter wheat is always a good choice.
gtk
Admin

Postby buckcrazy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Never planted winter wheat in the summer months before, do the eat it pretty good ?
The reason I was thinking soybeans was to up the protein and digestibility for the summertime.
With an average deer population , how many acres would I need to plant in soybean to have a shot at it making it without it being decimated before the plants mature ?
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby lugnutzz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:41 pm

Plant corn late April for deer. Its more expensive, but get a RRCB or RRCBRW variety. The CB will give above ground insect protection, while RW protects roots. Your pkants qull live longer. I'd split my planter and do three rows corn and one row beans or peas or two to one. Fertilize your corn good also. Call me. I got some older corn that doesnt fit our farmers well but do good in food pkots. Its mostly triple stacked 115 day corn.

One way to figure your figure plant date is decide when you want mature corn and subtract 145 days. 115 day is to physological matutity which is about 30% moisture corn, 30 days to dry for harvest.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

~LugNutzZ

2012-13 Team 5
2013-14 Team 6 - "IronWood"
2014-15 Team 1 - The Mafia" - winner
2015-16 Team 3 - Triple Threat
lugnutzz
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:43 pm

Sorry, misses the summer part. Don't plant wheat in the summer.
gtk
Admin

Postby buckcrazy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:48 pm

I was thinking I've been missing out on something with the winter wheat in the summer! Glad I didn't go and give out the latest secret to everybody.I would've sounded like a fool.
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby FireCloud » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:15 pm

Check out these food plot guides which provide a lot of choices of excellent deer food plot plantings.

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p2111.htm

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonlyres/8DE6AC74-17EF-4C49-A74A-9B1393E65495/51139/pub2843DeerPlantingsHIGHRES1.pdf

Corn and soybeans are not the only options for deer food plots; some of the other options provide more nutrition value, generate more forage volume, and and are longer lasting deer attractants. Several are FAR less attractive to raccoons, crows, possums, and other undesirable "corn thieves" that can strip your crop before it does the deer much good.

Good luck with your food plot!
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby Yellow Lab » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:27 pm

I would plant half the field in roundup ready corn and the other half in roundup ready soybeans. You would then be able to rotate your crops every year. The deer love both crops. It is a winning combination.

You could plant both crops in late April to early May. I broadcast my seed since I do not have a planter and have had good luck with my crops.

I would leave both crops in the field all year.

Here are some pictures of my plots from this past summer.

Yellow Lab
Spike

Postby gtk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:58 am

good looking food plots Yellow Lab !

were those soybeans the variety they developed for food plot? (larger leaves, grows taller) ?
gtk
Admin

Postby buckcrazy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:32 am

Dont judge me by the feeder :W: I havent put feed in that feeder since November, i know some wont believe me but its true....

Anyway, this is the field I want to plant this spring/summer. There are cutovers all around it except to the west, which is to left in the picture. To the right there is an oak ridge that runs up about 100 yards and then borders a cutover as well. This is a new food plot, I shouldnt say new I should say "newly expanded" food plot. This plot was a 1/4 acre before this past offseason. We had some dozer work and this was the result. We didnt get it finished until mid October so I put the feeder in just to get them coming. I am planning on feeding this offseason with protein and the rocks I just bought. I really like the RR corn and RR soybean pics and would love to give it a try. I need to check the soil pH and get it right. I guess I could see how well it grows and then make up my mind to replant for the fall or leave it stand. I dont know of anyone personally who lets their field stand here in MS (besides Yellow Lab now) but its worth a shot.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby Yellow Lab » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:46 pm

gtk - I have been planting the Large Lad soybeans by Eagle Seeds for the last 3 years. They are a forage variety. This soybean variety will resprout new leaves when the deer are broswing on the plants.
Yellow Lab
Spike

Postby Yellow Lab » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:50 pm

buckcrazy wrote:Image

Dont judge me by the feeder :W: I havent put feed in that feeder since November, i know some wont believe me but its true....

Anyway, this is the field I want to plant this spring/summer. There are cutovers all around it except to the west, which is to left in the picture. To the right there is an oak ridge that runs up about 100 yards and then borders a cutover as well. This is a new food plot, I shouldnt say new I should say "newly expanded" food plot. This plot was a 1/4 acre before this past offseason. We had some dozer work and this was the result. We didnt get it finished until mid October so I put the feeder in just to get them coming. I am planning on feeding this offseason with protein and the rocks I just bought. I really like the RR corn and RR soybean pics and would love to give it a try. I need to check the soil pH and get it right. I guess I could see how well it grows and then make up my mind to replant for the fall or leave it stand. I dont know of anyone personally who lets their field stand here in MS (besides Yellow Lab now) but its worth a shot.

buckcrazy - the deer have just now finished eating all my corn and the beans were finished up a month ago. I do not see why someone would disk under crops that have not been fully utilized.
Yellow Lab
Spike

Postby gtk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:03 pm

Yellow Lab wrote:gtk - I have been planting the Large Lad soybeans by Eagle Seeds for the last 3 years. They are a forage variety. This soybean variety will resprout new leaves when the deer are broswing on the plants.

thats the kind I was thinking about.. i tried them this year & planted them along side my corn. I must not have planted them thick enough, because the deer never let them get over a few inches tall..
gtk
Admin

Postby buckcrazy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:53 pm

Yellow lab , how many acres do you plant with the corn and soybeans? Do you plant this in rotation each year? How much soybean seed would you suggest based on you broadcasting the seed per acre? I think it called for 75 lbs per acre of seed broadcasting and 50 lbs if drilling or row planting.
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Re:

Postby Yellow Lab » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:31 pm

buckcrazy wrote:Yellow lab , how many acres do you plant with the corn and soybeans? Do you plant this in rotation each year? How much soybean seed would you suggest based on you broadcasting the seed per acre? I think it called for 75 lbs per acre of seed broadcasting and 50 lbs if drilling or row planting.

I plant 5 acres a year. I rotate the fields between corn - 2.5 acres and soybeans - 2.5 acres each year. I broadcast 75 lbs of soybean seed an acre. I think you could get by with 50 lbs an acre using the forage variety.
Yellow Lab
Spike

Postby buckcrazy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:24 pm

I just got in touch with Eagle Seeds, they said I need an e-license number (grower number)from Monsanto to be able to purchase the RR soybeans. Has anyone heard of this before? Said the only way you can buy them is to get the grower number.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby Yellow Lab » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 am

buckcrazy wrote:I just got in touch with Eagle Seeds, they said I need an e-license number (grower number)from Monsanto to be able to purchase the RR soybeans. Has anyone heard of this before? Said the only way you can buy them is to get the grower number.

I have always bought mine from my local co-op. Are you trying to buy them direct from Eagle Seeds?
Yellow Lab
Spike

Postby buckcrazy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:29 am

yeah, i couldnt find any locally. The nearest place that had them was 2 1/2 hours away from my place. Anybody know of a place around Lawrence county?
It wasnt a big deal to get the grower number, the main reason I want to find someone locally is the shipping cost from Eagle Seeds themselves. 5 bags would cost me about $100 to have delivered....thats just crazy!

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby Yellow Lab » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:21 am

buckcrazy wrote:yeah, i couldnt find any locally. The nearest place that had them was 2 1/2 hours away from my place. Anybody know of a place around Lawrence county?
It wasnt a big deal to get the grower number, the main reason I want to find someone locally is the shipping cost from Eagle Seeds themselves. 5 bags would cost me about $100 to have delivered....thats just crazy!

A and R Farm Supply in Hattiesburg is where I buy mine. That is only an hour away from you.
Yellow Lab
Spike

Postby glenn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:29 pm

I bought mine last year from a hardware store in Summit, but can't remember the name of it. I had the same problem gtk did, nothing got over a few inches high. I had about 2 acres planted.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:47 pm

Dont know if this works or not but a local chicken farmer said when he plants corn and soybeans he puts out chicken manure about two weeks earlier than he intends on planting. He said the deer won't go in the plot for weeks or at least until a couple of good rains. He claims this gives the soybeans time enough to get established and he says his do just fine. I for one am not taking a chance with it. Im sure the nitrogen is crazy high in chicken manure and that it might work better establishing clover. Anyone heard of doing this before?

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby lugnutzz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:52 am

anyone who plants Monsanto trait-ed seed has to sign a grower/stewardship agreement, regardless of where you buy the seed.

~LugNutzZ

2012-13 Team 5
lugnutzz
Boone&Crockett

Postby buckcrazy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:26 am

thats what i heard as well lugnutzz, I was told that you could be in a lot of trouble if you are caught buying them without it. A guy i talked to about it said a club had a lawsuit against them from Monsanto for not having it, of course i dont know all the details about it but thats what i ws told. For the 15 minutes it took me to fill out the on-line form , i figured id just cover my rear end

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby lugnutzz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:47 pm

basically the agreement says Monsanto owns the genetics of the seed, and that a farmer will not save and replant his seed from the bin.

we as a seed company have to document where everything goes from harvest to the sell. when we clean seed, that means documenting how much and where the clean out goes, screenings, splits, spills, ect. and the seed goes. if you start with 5,000 bushel and have 10% clean out, then you better have wight tickets showing where that 10% went, and where 4500 units of seed is.

~LugNutzZ

2012-13 Team 5
lugnutzz
Boone&Crockett

Next

Return to Wildlife Habitat