• Advertisement

Crabapples for deer

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Crabapples for deer

Postby huntall » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:46 pm

What kind of crabapples have you tried or have seen that does good? I found some that I think I am going to get called TRANSCENDENT CRABAPPLE. Do you know anything about these for a wildlife planting? I am thinking on getting 4 trees to go with all the other trees I have planted or that I will be planting next week.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Re: Crabapples for deer

Postby Yellow Lab » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:55 pm

I have been growing fruit trees since 1990. I have found that pears are a Mississippi deers favorite fruit. Pear trees are easy to grow and produce lots of fruit. The deer will eat every one that hits the ground.

Here are some pictures from my farm this summer.

Yellow Lab
Spike

Postby huntall » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:06 pm

yellow lab, what kind of pears are those? I planted 8 pear trees last weekend and they are kiffer, oriant, sugar pears, and barlet pears. I agree with you that the deer really love them. I just thought crabapples would add a little something different. Any other advice on fruit trees? Just looking to have a year long food source.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby Yellow Lab » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:41 pm

huntall wrote:yellow lab, what kind of pears are those? I planted 8 pear trees last weekend and they are kiffer, oriant, sugar pears, and barlet pears. I agree with you that the deer really love them. I just thought crabapples would add a little something different. Any other advice on fruit trees? Just looking to have a year long food source.

Those are keiffer pears in the photo. I also have orient and pineapple pears.

I would plant Japanese persimmons over crabapples. Jap. persimmons are the size of a baseball and they do not drop until November - December. They are the lastest fruit in MS.

Yellow Lab
Spike

Return to Wildlife Habitat