• Advertisement

going back through pics

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

going back through pics

Postby buckcrazy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:44 am

I was going back over pictures from last year and this year and i was thinking about all the work we did on the land this year and WOW!
This picture is my plot last year, it was 50 yards long and 30 yards wide. There were nothing but trash trees here and we decided to open up the plot a bit.

here is the plot from years past:

It sometimes would hold water :bash:

After sitting on this plot for two long years and counting a grand total of 5 deer that came to this field we decided to open this up a bit:
and the end result looked like this:

needless to say the saying " if you build it they will come" is true, this season i have only made 2 hunts and not seen anything off of this plot. We killed 1 doe and 3 bucks off of this field. One being my sons second deer, a spike with 7 inch horns.
I have sat in this stand and seen 16 deer in this field at one time. I was amazed at the way the deer came to the field. I planted it with wheat,oats,clover and winter rye. This field will be planted in spring with Eagle Beans and Corn. I cant wait to see the results.

I had the trough feeder filled with protein pellets in the early part of the season and although it took a while for them to warm up to the bucks seemed to really like it. I had more pics of bucks eating out of it than does this year.
Although I didnt kill or see the big boys these bucks stayed around all year and we took two nice bucks off of the field. We quit putting protein pellets out around the first of Oct. We mainly just put it there to get them use to coming to the field.

Another project we took on was the skinning shed. Never had one before , we would just hang them from the front end loader of the tractor, opened up two more plots , raised all the box stands up off the ground, cutting trees down and creating more desireable habitat for all the animals. Its good to see all the hard work ( and money) pay off. The land is slowly becoming what we want and what the animals want it to be. I never wouldve thought that this property would do as well as we wanted but in the end we will make it better for us and the animals.

This year we are planting some fruit trees,oaks and pines. Im planting some persimmon and crab appple trees around the big plot that i hope do well. I am thinking of doing some prescribed burns and some hack and squirt to create cover. Hopefully in the next 2-3 years it will be just about where we want it, except for routine maintenance. It really is good to see the plan coming together. Just have to be patient. :2TU:
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Re: going back through pics

Postby gtk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:54 am

Good post..
gtk
Admin

Postby Yellow Lab » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:16 pm

" Clear and plant it and they will come " may be a better saying!

Your work is going to continue to pay off in the long run. Looks Great!
Yellow Lab
Spike

Postby buckcrazy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:24 pm

Thanks
Looking back at those pics of that area just makes me realize that I was totally wrong. When my dad bought the property there was now way did I think that the property would become what it has so far. The land isn't in big buck country or have a dense deer population but with cuttings and plantings we have made it a more attractable area for deer. The land all around the property is all cutover. We are literally surrounded by 8,000 acres of pine thickets with small oaks and cutover. The only thing lacking on our land is thickets, which we will be working on this year and have started working on already. I cant wait to get started now that deer season is almost closed. We have been shooting every bobcat and coyote we see. In the past 3 years we have taken 4 large bobcats and 3 coyotes. I just found out that the club around us had a trapper come in and he caught 72 coyotes. Hard to believe but they said he did so I'm just going by their words. I think it really helped out. We have seen alot more deer and turkeys this year than in past years. In the previous years we had never seen 1 single rabbit , this year alone we have seen rabbits in several different spots throughout the property. We are starting to see wood ducks in the creeks too.
It's been tough with all the work and money that w put out but in the end its all worth it. We tried several times to talk my dad out of doing some of the work because of the money it would cost but he said he didn't care. He said just knowing that his kids and grandkids can enjoy the property is worth all of it and more.
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby huntall » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:35 pm

buckcrazy, I can tell you have put a lot of work on the place.It is great to look back at what you have done. I am in the process of makeing my land what I would like it to be. I have been working on mine since I bought it in September. I have put in one plot and working on another for next year. I have planted many oaks and fruit trees, and will plant my bareroot oak trees this weekend. It will take me about one more year to get my place like I would like it.

buckcrazy, how big is the plot the dozer pushed out? It looks great!
The plot im haveing for next year is 3 1/2 acres.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby dustygoodson » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:57 pm

nice
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:32 pm

Huntall, the original plot was about 1/3 of acre and after the dozer work if my calculations are even close it's a little over 3 acres. I'm hoping to get some RR soybeans and RR corn in there this spring.

We have a total of 5 plots. The one above is my "baby". I claimed as mine when we first picked out our spots. We have one that is about 1 acre in long lanes which my dad hunts , two that are small 1/3 acre plots and another that is my brother in laws that is about 1 1/2 acres.
I am not a patient person but realize it does sometimes take time and patience for a plan to come together. When I go up this weekend I'm going to take some more pics and when I get a chance I'll put them on here to maybe get and maybe give someone ideas.
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby FireCloud » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:07 pm

You have done an excellent job of management of your land to achieve the potential it has. I am a firm believer that you can greatly boost the amount and type of wildlife you want to attract by investing the time, labor, and money as you have done to improve the habitat. Your efforts will pay off over and over each year from this point forward and your enjoyment of the place will be greatly enhanced.

Good job!!
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Habitat