• Advertisement

Would soil testing now benefit for spring/summer crops?

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Would soil testing now benefit for spring/summer crops?

Postby buckcrazy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:15 am

I want to get a soil test for planting this spring, should i wait until im ready to plant it or get it now so i can start to make the adjusments for my spring/summer plantings?
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Re: Would soil testing now benefit for spring/summer crops?

Postby Yellow Lab » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:45 am

I would go ahead and take my samples now. It will take a couple of weeks to get your results back from MSU.

If you need lime, you could go ahead and put it out now and disk it into the soil. It is going to take a few months to fully work.
Yellow Lab
Spike

Postby buckcrazy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks , I took some soil yesterday from my big plot just in case. I took enough to send in to a couple places just to see if there are differences in what they call for. I mailed one a while ago to Biologic and will send the other to MSU. Does anyone know if you can send it to MSU in a ziploc bag? Biologic said to send it in a ziploc. Would it make a diffrence ?
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby Yellow Lab » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Go by your local MSU Extension Office and pick up a soil sample box and data sheet. They will also mail it for you at no charge.
Yellow Lab
Spike

Postby gtk » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:17 am

most definitely
gtk
Admin

Return to Wildlife Habitat