• Advertisement

Does anyone hinge cut trees?

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Does anyone hinge cut trees?

Postby buckcrazy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:13 am

I was reading an article on QDMA Forums about hinge cutting and it seems alot of those northern guys hinge cut for gaining thick areas for bedding and travel routes. I actually have a spot I wouldnt mind "making thicker" but all around me is cutovers and dont know if it would really help a whole lot as there are thick areas everywhere for them to bed down. I think hinge cutting is more for the northern more open woods than down here in the south where thick really isnt as much as an issue.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Re: Does anyone hinge cut trees?

Postby Yellow Lab » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:27 am

I have been hunting in Pike County Illinois the last nine years. Creating more bedding and thickets is needed in many places up north.

IMO - I don't think we have that problem in Mississippi.
Yellow Lab
Spike

Postby FireCloud » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:14 pm

On my land, enough storms create "blow downs" that serve as great wildlife cover so that I don't have to cut any trees for that purpose. Unless they are in a bad location, I just leave them. The deer and other wildlife are attracted to them.

I also pile up brush and tree tops and just leave them in a good spot when I do clear a trail or small open area. Those things are magnets for all sorts of wildlife, particularly birds, chipmunks, snakes, and other small animals. Once those type critters become prevalent, they attract other animals higher up the food chain who also visit the area, such as fox, hawks, and similar predators.

I personally believe when you have a woodland with a diversity of animals in sufficient numbers, ALL species will choose to live there. For whatever reason, deer seem to not like to live in an area devoid of other wildlife.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby lugnutzz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:48 am

hinge cutting is just how you cut the tree down, correct? do it by cutting a v notch in tree and then plunging into the tree and cutting out, so the hinge guides the tree down and doesnt splinter up the side as bad.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

~LugNutzZ

2012-13 Team 5
2013-14 Team 6 - "IronWood"
2014-15 Team 1 - The Mafia" - winner
2015-16 Team 3 - Triple Threat
lugnutzz
Boone&Crockett

Postby buckcrazy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:36 am

From what I've learned its a form of creating cover that deer will use as travel and bedding areas. You straight cut or angle cut (some say dont angle, its too dangerous) and cut through until the tree falls or is pushed over. You dont cut all the way through the tree because if their is enough left connecting the tree to the stump the tree will still sprout and grow new leaves and branches which in turns creates more cover. Some biologist and habitat gurus frown upon it though from what i hear. You cant just run out with a chainsaw and start wacking trees right and left. Their has to be a purpose or a strategy. Most of the guys I hear doing it have had a forester or a biolgist help them determine where to go about doing it.
But thats just what i hear.....
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Return to Wildlife Habitat