• Advertisement

applying lime

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

applying lime

Postby huntall » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:29 pm

How do yall apply lime? Do yall rent the pull behind buggy from the co-op? If not how do yall do it? I am going to get a soil test but I have 2 places that I cant get a buggy to the location. How would you lime the hard to get to places with ag lime? I can get a tractor to it but I think it is to rough to get a buggy there. I have used the pelletized lime but Im looking to fix the soil not a temporary fix.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Re: applying lime

Postby BigRic » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:31 pm

3 point hitch spreader on a tractor will do the trick in the places you can't get a buggy to...
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby reesguide » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Yeah, but the volume of lime he most likely will need would take forever. Can they not get a spreader truck in there?
"Team Tenth Legion"

RIP my freind, this seasons for you!!
reesguide
Boone&Crockett

Postby huntall » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:08 pm

ITs 1 and a 1/2 acre plots with narrow downhill uneven road. This is why in the past I just used the pelletized lime. Like I said I have not done soil test yet so dont know how much will be needed on 1 1/2 acer plot. Just trying to figure out a way to use ag lime or have to go back with the pelletized.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby reesguide » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Got ya, hate to see what my soil sample is gonna say but it will be a plus in the long run. No more than what you are doing, a decent size tractor and a buggy ought to do the job.
"Team Tenth Legion"

RIP my freind, this seasons for you!!
reesguide
Boone&Crockett

Postby saddaddykiller » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:23 pm

yeah we rent a buggy from co op....one of our neighbors in a high fence used his truck one time on steep hills to pull a buggy and i had to go help pull him out...was a mess....so dont attempt it with a small tractor.....if you cant do that youll have to use the peletized lime
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:07 pm

Gonna have to figure this one out too. Did you see the soil test on my post? Got some figuring out to do big time. If I gotta use pelletized bag line I'm in trouble. Gonna have to figure something out for sure. If my new neighbor would let me use one of his roads it would be great but I haven't met him yet. Might be a good way to meet the neighbors by begging I guess. So much for first impressions.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby Yellow Lab » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:37 pm

buckcrazy wrote:Gonna have to figure this one out too. Did you see the soil test on my post? Got some figuring out to do big time. If I gotta use pelletized bag line I'm in trouble. Gonna have to figure something out for sure. If my new neighbor would let me use one of his roads it would be great but I haven't met him yet. Might be a good way to meet the neighbors by begging I guess. So much for first impressions.

I would go talk to your neighbor and see if he would let you have access to your food plot. Pellitized lime is over $200 a ton vs $50 a ton for ag lime.
Yellow Lab
Spike

Postby buckcrazy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:44 pm

WOW, guess I never really looked at it being that much of a price difference. Might have to go do some sweet talking. I'm pretty sure I can get to it easier from his side or at least I hope I can.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby mshunter » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:23 am

I cant find any Coop's that still rent the pull behind buggys ? I have checked from Oxford to Winona ??
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby gtk » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:46 am

The one in Hernando still rents them, I think..
gtk
Admin

Postby sardisdeerhunter » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:22 am

mshunter wrote:I cant find any Coop's that still rent the pull behind buggys ? I have checked from Oxford to Winona ??

There is a place in Oxford next to Hunter Hollow, It is a gov office . I'll try to get you a number .

But, you will need to buy a bulk load of AG lime from someone else .
sardisdeerhunter
8 Point

Postby mshunter » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:49 am

Thanks.........Ed
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby sardisdeerhunter » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:32 pm

mshunter wrote:Thanks.........Ed

Ed,
They were closed when I got by there this evening .. It is a about a quarter mile north of Hunters Hollow .. On the door was 8:00 till 4:30 M - F

NRCS

National Resources Conservation Service

2608 What ever the name of the road .. Sorry !!

Ken
sardisdeerhunter
8 Point

Postby mshunter » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks Ken , I am going by there Monday or tuesday and will let you know what i find out.........Ed
mshunter
Charter Member

Return to Wildlife Habitat