• Advertisement

Planting corn or soybeans???

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Planting corn or soybeans???

Postby merlebo02 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:48 am

Hey guys I am interested in planting either corn or soybeans on a power line. Other than throwing out some rye grass I have never planted anything. I am 31 years old so I feel its about time I learn as I am going to grow my first tomato plant this year as well :lol: . So available to me is a tractor, bushhog, disk, atv and both liquid/seed spreaders. Do I have the resources to complete this task? Come someone give me step by step directions on helping me be more productive with this task? I will be planting this between Eupora and Winona just off hwy 82. When should I start planting? Do you have to get soil samples first as I am probably to late for that if I end up planting corn. Thanks guys!!!
merlebo02
Spike

Re: Planting corn or soybeans???

Postby gtk » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:15 pm

Soil samples would be beneficial. Its soon to be getting late for lime to make much of a difference this year though.

I would break up the ground as soon as possible. If the ground has never been broken up, and you have access to one, I would run a subsoiler over it.

Break the ground up good, round up it a few times if necessary. When ready to plant (late may, early June) spray some atrazine down and then get some round-up ready corn and plant it. Immediately follow up with some 13-13-13. When the corn starts getting about 6" high, go back and put some amonia nitrate on it. Spray it with roundup again when it needs it.

You will definitely have to keep a watch out for army worms and crows, because they will decimate a smaller corn field.
gtk
Admin

Postby Yellow Lab » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:15 pm

You have all the equipment needed to broadcast and grow soybeans and corn.

I would go ahead and take a soil sample now. If lime is needed, I would put it out ASAP. No need to wait.

Like gtk said, if you can get a single shank subsoiler, run it as deep as your tractor will pull it every 3 to 4 feet.

I have been using Large Lad forage soybeans from Eagle Seed the last three years. I broadcast plant 75 lbs of soybean seed per acre. These are Roundup Ready soybeans and they will stay geen into bow season. I broadcast plant appx. 25 lbs of Roundup Ready corn seed per acre.

I like to plant my corn and beans mid April to early May depending on the temps and weather. I want my plots providing protein ASAP as my bucks are growing their horns!
Yellow Lab
Spike

Postby FireCloud » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:52 pm

These guys are very knowledgeable and have given you great advice that you need to follow. There is only a little more I want to add.

First, go do a proper soil test ASAP. It is not too late. The soil test will give you more than just the recommended lime you may need; it will also analyze any fertilizer deficiencies you have in your soil and give you recommendations for what to apply.

Second, exactly how large of a plot are you going to plant? That is very important in your decision as to what to plant. There are plenty of deer in your area so if you plant a small plot of under 2 acres the deer will hammer it very hard, possibly destroying nearly all the beans and corn at an early stage where it will never recover. If you have a plot of 2 to 5 acres or so in size just get the plot ready to plant and roll on! A larger plot should give you enough plants so that the deer and other critters cannot destroy them all.

But if you have a small plot, then you may want to rethink the idea of planting corn and beans. All your money, time, and effort is likely to be wasted if you plant those crops in a small plot. Likely your plot will simply never get much beyond the germination stage. Corn is especially hard to protect long enough for the plants to produce mature ears. Nearly every kind of animal alive enjoys raiding a corn field and they will all show up at yours!!

For a smaller plot, you might do better to plant other kinds of deer forage that is not as attractive to pests, like crows, raccoons, etc. as is corn. Clover, for example, is not going to attract crows or raccoons but it will attract deer. Take a look at some of the photos Yellow Lab has posted of his Durana clover fields and I think you will be impressed.

Finally, so you want to grow tomatoes too? :D Growing tomatoes is easy enough. All you need is rich soil with plenty of organic nutrients, water, sunshine, tomato cages or stakes, time, and patience. I grow mine organically and get decent results without using any chemicals. The deer leave my tomatoes alone because they prefer other garden veggies! Be sure to fence in your garden if you want to have any veggies to eat as many types of critters will drop by regularly to raid your garden!

Good luck with your food plot.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:14 pm

they gave u some good info.......let me warn u about soybeans...if u have a good population of deer in your area, then i donot recommend planting soybeans unless you are planting 3 or 4+ acres....
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby merlebo02 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:15 pm

thanks guys, I am not exactly sure how many acres it is but I would think it is at least 2 or more. It is the width of a standard power line and I would say about 300-400 yards long.
merlebo02
Spike

Postby FireCloud » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:17 pm

merlebo02 wrote:thanks guys, I am not exactly sure how many acres it is but I would think it is at least 2 or more. It is the width of a standard power line and I would say about 300-400 yards long.

Powerline easements vary, but a typical high voltage power line easement is normally about 200 feet or so in width. The length of 300 to 400 yards converts to 900 to 1,200 feet. So the two multiplied together and divided by 43,560 (SF in a single acre) would indicate the powerline you plan to plant is about 4 to 5.5 acres in size. That would work great for a food plot planting area.

It would be best to GPS (easy to do) or otherwise measure the length and width to compute the actual size, then provide this to the lab doing your soil test. That will get you a more accurate set of recommendations. You don't want to lime for four acres if you actually have five acres to plant, as that is a 20% "miss" in the amount of lime you might need. So you most definitely DO need to acurately calculate the acreage and not just guess.

It may not happen, but if the power company has a need to access their lines such as to repair a storm damaged line, they may destroy some of your crops with their equipment without notice to you. That is the risk you take when planting under power lines.

Hope it works out well for you!
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Habitat