• Advertisement

Mineral Station Being Used

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Mineral Station Being Used

Postby FireCloud » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:37 pm

I went out late this evening to check on the food plot and mineral station. The food plot seeds left over from the fall are growing by leaps and bounds now. Some of it is a foot tall. The bob oats, winter wheat, and elbon rye are thick and growing strong. The Austrian winter peas are growing like crazy and even the turnips are growing ok. I hope to disk them under soon and plant some summer forage.

I was happy to see the deer are hitting the mineral station pretty well. Deer tracks showing in it and lots of pawed ground. Unfortunately, my cheap piece of junk Bushnell camera is meinged up and so I don't have any pics to post. I managed to get it back to daytime operation and will remount it at the plot so maybe will have some photos of the deer hitting the minerals soon.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Mineral Station Being Used

Postby gtk » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:06 am

i think i'll put a new salt lick out behind the house this spring..
gtk
Admin

Postby huntall » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:31 pm

I was going to put in 2 new mineral stations early last month, but never found the time
to do it. I have a lot more time now so I am going to get it done in the next few weeks.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby dustygoodson » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:35 pm

got to put me some mineral lick out soon
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:23 pm

Get your minerals out there ASAP. Spring is the time I see them using it a lot. I think the minerals are wanted more by the bucks as they move into the antler regrowth cycle and the does which have been bred want them apparently for supplying minerals to their unborn fawns. They hit is pretty good this time of year and I think it helps the deer a lot.

It only takes a very little amount of money to do a mineral station and it will last for many months. You can buy (A) Stock Salt, (B) Trace Mineral Salt, and (C) Di-calcium phosphate at your local co-op in 50# sacks for about $40. Mix per the recipe posted in other threads in the forum and mix well with dirt from a hole you dig at the base of an old stump. It only takes a few minutes to set up a mineral station. The deer prefer the rotten stump wood and dirt mixed in with the minerals as it dilutes the bitter taste of the minerals themselves. Typically, deer don't really like to lick the minerals if just poured into a pile on the ground and will avoid them until the rain leaches them down into the dirt.

I cannot guarantee you that your surviving big bucks will come to your mineral station but if you put a camera on it, you might get a chance to see some of the big boys as they start to regrow their antlers. Deer seem to be less cautious this time of the year and tend to move about a little more during the nice pleasant spring days.

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:39 pm

I agree with you FireCloud. Look for some good pictures soon...
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:51 pm

Terry, the brand new replacement camera sent to me by Bushnell last October has now completely failed roughly six months after being placed in service. This camera was the factory solution under their warranty for the previous Bushnell camera I purchased last January that lasted 9 months before it completely failed. I am a person who believes in giving everyone a second chance. But Bushnell had their first chance and their second chance, with both brand new, out of the box cameras failing in only 6 to 9 months time.

I spent $58.85 to buy the first cheap Bushnell plus about $16 to pay their ten dollar repair fee and ship the first broken camera back. It's not a huge money loss and I probably have gotten my $75 worth of pictures from their cameras, however the aggravation is not worth dealing with Bushnell again. They will not be getting any more of my money.

Therefore, until I can save up enough spare change to get a better built camera, such as a homebrew unit like the slick rigs Sardisdeerhunter builds, I won't be posting any more game camera photos for a while. :(

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:00 pm

Hate to hear that Firecloud. I have a friend who lives not far from you in Terry, and he is still using the first Bushnell, ever purchased back in 2002 and it still takes great photos. Maybe technology has surpassed it self.
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby LazyGhost » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:29 pm

I checked on last years mineral spot that is on my pond levee this weekend and the deer have been hammering it with fresh tracks on top of tracks.
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby mshunter » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:37 am

Firecloud,

I have had alot of good pictures with very little problems with the Moultrie Game Cam I got it for about $79 and I have purchased several more since then from Simmons Sporting Goods for $59 Here is there site :

http://www.simmonssportinggoods.com/det ... 5369512487

$59.99
MOULTRIE MFH-D-50 GAME SPY
GAME SPY 5.0
Friend, here's a great Game Camera that lets you begin monitoring deer patterns on your land! It has all the essential features you need to start taking pictures and tracking game with its quick trigger time, long-range flash and generous battery life. Affordable, and 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed by me here at the Guide!
Picture these fine features:

5 megapixels capture sharp, true-to-life images
Rapid response time captures moving game
45' white flash ensures optimal, viewable shots
Color day and night pics / video clips during the day (up to 10 seconds)
3 picture resolutions / 2 video resolutions
Weather-resistant casing
16MB internal memory... accepts SD cards up to 16GB
Includes TV out / cable and mounting strap
Operates on 6 D batteries (not included). Weighs 3 lbs.
Order yours ONLINE today... it'll pay off when hunting season's here!

Moultrie® Game Spy™ D-50 Game Camera
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby FireCloud » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:14 pm

MShunter, I appreciate the info and will check out the website link. I value your opinion far more than I do the store's advertising hype. What do you like and dislike about that camera? What kind of battery life do you get? Have you had any problems with the camera?

Thanks for your input.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:22 pm

another thumbs up for moultrie....i have eon thats about 10 years old and still works, think it was around 80$
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby mshunter » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:23 pm

I like it because it is very simple to operate and that works for me in this day and age for sure. If you use energizer batteries they seem to last longer I have had some last for over 2 months I have not tried the rechargeable D batteries but have been wanting to and will let you know if I do. I also like the fact that it will take SD cards up to 16GB so you never have to worry about running out of room for pics it also will make short video's I actually used mine to take a couple pics of a deer I killed like a regular camera and got prints off SD card at 5 megapixal wasnt bad at all. It has a laser that can be used to line up pics hieght and mine are still working good so far with no problems only other camera I had was a bushnell my wife got me for about $ 175 batterys never lasted a whole month when it worked and pictures were never as good as with these moultries I have. I havent owned any of the others so I cant say how they are ...Hope this helps.....Ed
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby FireCloud » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:51 pm

Thanks, Ed. I may just give the Moultrie a try. If it lasts longer than 6 months, it will beat Bushnell.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby huntall » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:31 pm

I finally got my mineral stations out this morning. :thumbsup:
I usually forget to put them out untill it is
almost too late. The deer should have pleanty of
time to benefit from them this year. Do yall put more
out in late summer?
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Huntall, I like to keep my mineral station supplied year round. The deer really don't use it except during certain peak periods but having it at my food plot reminds them it is available. If you let it run out and it goes for several months without any minerals, you run the risk the deer find another mineral station somewhere else and forget about yours.

I put out about 20 pounds of minerals at a time. So that means I will resupply mine about every 90 days as the rain will leach the minerals down into the soil. I find the deer seem to really like not having to paw deep into the ground trying to dredge up the minerals which have soaked in. However, they will paw for them if they have to.

The amount of minerals consumed will also depend on how many deer visit your station. If you have a lot of deer in your area you may need to put out 40 or 50 pounds at a time.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby sardisdeerhunter » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:35 am

They are hitting my licks pretty hard . (The very warm temps. help) ..

P.S. Fire Cloud , I can hook you up on some trailcams that work and last ..

:)
sardisdeerhunter
8 Point

Postby FireCloud » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:30 pm

sardisdeerhunter wrote:They are hitting my licks pretty hard . (The very warm temps. help) ..

I'm putting pennies in my jar trying to get enough extra cash so you can either sell me one of your homebrews or I can buy the parts and get you to help me learn how to assemble one. I'd reallly like to try to build one so I can learn what is "possible" to do with homebrew equipment. As you know, I have a few creative ideas about what I would like to have in a "dream camera" and maybe if I learned how to build the things, I could tinker around with some of my ideas. Of course, that assumes you would actually be willing to teach me. I have to be taught. This is not something I can learn to do on my own. I have no skill whatsoever at soldering and reading wiring diagrams so I need someone to show me how and help me learn what to do.

A couple of years ago on the old MDWFP forum you actually did generously offer to assist me but I just never found time to give it a try. Still not sure when I can ever find time to attempt a project. Life is incredibly different for me than it is for most people so I don't get around to doing things very fast.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby sardisdeerhunter » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:16 pm

FireCloud wrote:
sardisdeerhunter wrote:They are hitting my licks pretty hard . (The very warm temps. help) ..

I'm putting pennies in my jar trying to get enough extra cash so you can either sell me one of your homebrews or I can buy the parts and get you to help me learn how to assemble one. I'd reallly like to try to build one so I can learn what is "possible" to do with homebrew equipment. As you know, I have a few creative ideas about what I would like to have in a "dream camera" and maybe if I learned how to build the things, I could tinker around with some of my ideas. Of course, that assumes you would actually be willing to teach me. I have to be taught. This is not something I can learn to do on my own. I have no skill whatsoever at soldering and reading wiring diagrams so I need someone to show me how and help me learn what to do.

A couple of years ago on the old MDWFP forum you actually did generously offer to assist me but I just never found time to give it a try. Still not sure when I can ever find time to attempt a project. Life is incredibly different for me than it is for most people so I don't get around to doing things very fast.

I'm here for you my friend .. Health problems recently has really slowed me up .. And the offer still stands !! Maybe oneday we could build one of your "dream cameras" ..

Ken

sardisdeerhunter
8 Point

Return to Wildlife Habitat