• Advertisement

Carbon Boost. Anyone heard of it?

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Carbon Boost. Anyone heard of it?

Postby gtk » Tue May 24, 2011 8:23 am

I received some "carbon boost" from a friend, to try on my corn plot. Its supposed to really help yield and all around plant health . Have any of you ever heard of this? I don't think its on the market yet...

http://www.fbsciences.com/carbonboost/
gtk
Admin

Re: Carbon Boost. Anyone heard of it?

Postby Bullie » Tue May 24, 2011 9:42 am

Sounds like something you get after eating alot of beans.
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby lugnutzz » Tue May 24, 2011 1:37 pm

heard of it and using it on some plots. not sure what its all about but they promise a whole lot.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

~LugNutzZ

2012-13 Team 5
2013-14 Team 6 - "IronWood"
2014-15 Team 1 - The Mafia" - winner
2015-16 Team 3 - Triple Threat
lugnutzz
Boone&Crockett

Postby huntall » Tue May 24, 2011 3:54 pm

never heard of it!
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Tue May 24, 2011 10:05 pm

Don't know a thing about it. But in my experience, things which are big on promise are usually short on performance.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby BigRic » Wed May 25, 2011 10:08 pm

They actually began working with CarbonPower in the phosphorus and potassium market in golf, And built a line of products using that technology. Now they are working to do the same thing in agriculture.” (Those products are now used on more than 6,000 golf courses and professionally managed sports facilities in 41 countries.)
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby BigRic » Wed May 25, 2011 10:11 pm

In 2007 and 2008 there were numerous randomized, replicated field trials conducted by independent, third party researchers as well as field demonstration trials in locations across North America using Carbon Boost-S on corn.

Application Rates & Methods

In Furrow or Pop-Up Fertilizers: Mix 6-8 ounces per acre of Carbon Boost-S with on-the-seed applied fertilzers.

Dry Granular Fertilizers: Coat 1-4 quarts per acre of Carbon Boost-S onto each ton of dry fertilizr, depending on the final rate of application of fertilizer to the field. The final applied fertilizer should carry 8-12 ounces per acre of Carbon Boost-S to the soil.

Banded Fertilizers: Mix a total of 8-12 ounces per acre of Carbon Boost-S with under-the-seed or side dress banded liquid fertilizers, depending on rates. Higher rates of fertilizer require the higher label rates of Carbon Boost-S.

Broadcast Liquid Fertilizers: Mix 8-12 ounces per acre with chemical applications or suspensions.

Irrigation Systems: Can be applied at 8-12 ounces per acre by itself or mixed with fertilizer.
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Wed May 25, 2011 11:02 pm

Yep, I read all the hoopla about the product put out by the folks wanting to sell the stuff. What is NOT listed above in the other posts is the RESULTS of those "randomized trials." Amazingly, it actually worked....in some of them. And it didn't in others. In somewhat more than 10% of the cases, the crops to which the product was applied did worse WITH the product than they did without it.

That's not "success" in my book. If the product is supposed to make things grow better, then it should do so every time. Or put another way, it should never make things grow worse. That's like a toothpaste saying it prevents cavities but more than 10% of the time you wind up with more cavities if you use the toothpaste. Who needs that? Why, pray tell, would anyone want to spend money applying a product to crops that has a better than one in ten chance of giving you worse results? Ah ha...but the manufacturers have an explanation! Wouldn't you know they would?

In fact, they have a whole bunch of explanations to explain away every single failure. Take a look at one of them and I think you will laugh about the usefulness of the product after you evaluate their reasoning. What they said in once case was the problem was, after taking soil tests, they discovered their product combined with fertilizer and other existing soil nutrients gave the plants "too much nitrogen" thus stunting their growth.

Hummm....let's see...they did a soil test and it shows that there was enough nitrogen supplied to the plants to meet their actual needs. Then someone applied this "miracle grow" Carbon Boast product which oversaturated the plant, thus hurting its production. What that says to me, as a person who practices organic plant production principles, is that if there is good enough nutrition available in the soil you don't need the Carbon Boast product at all...it would be a waste of time and money plus you will get poor results. Not exactly an endorsement for using the product in my opinion.

Ok, so what if the soil lacks enough nutrients for the plants? Then would the Carbon Boast product work? Logically if it provided ANY nutrients that plants needed which were deficient in the soils, then yeah, the product would work. By that same principle, if a plant needs nitrogen because there is not any in the soils, you could pee on the plant and it would benefit the plant. In fact, when plants are lacking what they need ANYTHING that gives them some of what they need will produce better growth and better results. That is not any sort of scientific breakthrough of knowledge...it is simply the facts of agriculture at work.

So the way I see the results being boasted about by this manufacturer is that when the Carbon Boast product was applied to plants being grown without proper nutrients being provided either by the soils or by added fertilizers, the Carbon Boast product helped. Of course it did. As I say, anything that gave the plants what they needed would have worked...chicken poop or cow dung would have worked too. So would have compost, commercial fertilizers, or any number of other items. So to brag that Carbon Boast was applied to plants starved for nutrients and they did better makes me give them a "Duh,... really?" type of response.

Let me see some independent laboratory trials run using the Carbon Boast product on plants whose nutrient needs are fully met. In that kind of soil, plant rows side by side and treat one with Carbon Boast and the other with nothing. Let me see a reputable research facility, like MSU, document that this product works to produce measurably greater crop results (and not just nitrogen induced excess plant growth) in a side by side tests of that nature. THEN and ONLY THEN will I believe the promo material put out by the manufacterer hawking the product is really worth the money.

I am not convinced simply because golf courses use the Carbon Boast product to make their grass greener and grow faster. What grass needs to grow fast and be green is NOT necessarily the same thing marketable crops, like corn, need to produce more and better ears of corn. I can't help but wonder if you apply a "miracle grow" product known to make grass grow well to a field of corn if that REALLY is a smart move? How do you keep the product from making the grass in your fields grow better? Maybe this is a product best used with RR corn where you have already killed the grass in your fields.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Thu May 26, 2011 10:49 am

Bullie wrote:Sounds like something you get after eating alot of beans.

thats "methane boost" ... not to be confused with carbon boost.. ;)
gtk
Admin

Postby gtk » Thu May 26, 2011 10:50 am

We will see in my own tests :)

I'll be using it on 1/2 my corn plot..
gtk
Admin

Return to Wildlife Habitat