• Advertisement

Clay Peas looking good updated 8-8- 11

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Clay Peas looking good updated 8-8- 11

Postby huntall » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:41 pm

They are looking great! I am getting pictures of does eating in it
and they are keeping the peas cleaned up. They are just now really fixing to start making heavy amounts of peas! They are full of blooms!
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Re: Clay Peas looking good updated 8-8- 11

Postby buckcrazy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:25 pm

looking good...I tried clay peas last year and the deer hammered my 3 acre plot. I thought about getting an electric fence or plot saver system for next year. Are you leaving it stand for hunting season?
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby huntall » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:45 pm

buckcrazy wrote:looking good...I tried clay peas last year and the deer hammered my 3 acre plot. I thought about getting an electric fence or plot saver system for next year. Are you leaving it stand for hunting season?

I am going to plant a winter plot ,but It will be my last plot to plant!
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:40 pm

Wow.. They do look good.. I can't believe with this drought that the deer haven't mowed them all down.
gtk
Admin

Postby j-bo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:19 pm

gtk wrote:Wow.. They do look good.. I can't believe with this drought that the deer haven't mowed them all down.

Yep.... is this the 1st year planting them?

I'd be willing to bet...one day soon you'll go back and you'll just see stems left.
j-bo
4 Point

Re: Clay Peas looking good updated

Postby huntall » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:55 pm

j-bo, this is my first year to plant them. Its not but about 2 acre plot so I am surprised that they are not already gone!
I think the only thing that is keeping them from eating them up yet is
that I have 2 pear trees and an apple tree that they are hitting real hard!
I planted these trees when I was a kid and they are all 3 making real heavy crops most every year!

This is not my only peas! I have about a 350 yard power line planted and they are almost doing as good as this plot.
Last edited by huntall on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:07 pm

gtk wrote:Wow.. They do look good.. I can't believe with this drought that the deer haven't mowed them all down.

Are you sure he has any deer? :stir:
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:50 pm

Great plot.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby j-bo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:13 pm

huntall wrote:j-bo, this is my first year to plant them. Its not but about 2 acre plot so I am surprised that they are not already gone!
I think the only thing that is keeping them from eating them up yet is
that I have 2 pear trees and an apple tree that they are hitting real hard!
I planted these trees when I was a kid and they are all 3 making real heavy crops most every year!

This is not my only peas! I have about a 350 yard power line planted and they are almost doing as good as this plot.

Yep.. 1st year luck! I had it too, till I went back 1 week later one time and had nothing but stems left. This year, I didn't get a good growth at all as they just about wiped them all out at 2 leaf stage. I do have some plants, but they only have a leaf here and there.

Once they know what they are.. it's over. ;)

Before, and they were like this for 6 weeks or so:

After, one week later than above photo:

j-bo
4 Point

Postby buckcrazy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:34 pm

That's crazy how fast they killed that plot. That's the only issue I have with peas and soybeans. The eagle beans regenerate when they eat them I've read but I hate to spend that kind of money on the eagle beans and have them demolish them or have them not grow. Guess it's good that they are at least eating them.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby saddaddykiller » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:14 pm

if u have the TIME and acreage, thats y its always good idea to plant that kind of stuff at different times....plant one section/plot right now, one section one or 2 weeks from now then plant another section 1 or 2 weeks from now etc.......it allows different sections to mature at different times which makes for more food for the deer for a longer period of time...
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby huntall » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:51 pm

I looked at my peas this morning. I took lazyghost with
me to look around at my place. The deer are hammering the peas hard! It is big enough plot so they have not eat it to the ground. Peas and blooms still all over the plot!
You can see the ground now and before you couldnt because they were so tall! We re set some game cams
so now maybe i will get more than a bunch of does on them!
I didnt think to get any pictures, but I will see how much will be left when I go back in few weeks!
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:12 pm

Has anyone ever tried the Austrian Winter Peas, they are about Ten Dollars cheaper than the Clay Peas.
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Habitat