• Advertisement

Soil Moisture Profile -8/23/11

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Soil Moisture Profile -8/23/11

Postby FireCloud » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:07 am

For those planting a deer food plot and fall gardens, scouting for acorn trees or other mast that deer may be eating soon, planning hunting trips to other areas, or doing anything similar where the soil moisture conditions may be a major factor, here is a chart of the soil mositure profile for yesterday, stolen from Dr. Jeff Master's weather website.

aug24_soil.gif

The colors show a dramatic difference in soil moisture content within different sections of Mississippi and also in other areas of the country. For example, the dark green colors show where moisture content is in the upper 1% of all moisture readings in recorded weather history. The dark red shows the opposite.

You can clearly see the southwest section of Mississippi from roughly my land in south Hinds County down to the far tip of the southwest corner has extremely little soil moisture with a "1" rating on a scale of 1 to 100. However, conditions are remarkably better in other portions of the state, such as the north and northeastern sections where the moisture content in the soils is roughly 30 on the same scale.

The heat wave and drought conditions have been extreme in some areas and are making a huge difference in the wildlife habitat conditions in some areas. Plan your food plot and hunting preparations to take into account the soil moisture. Essentially, with very poor soil moisture, germinating and growing food plots in some areas may be problematic. The available browse for deer may also be greatly reduced resulting in lower body weight deer this season in the drought affected areas.

My take on the information shown in this map is that, all else being equal, the better wildlife habitat and browse, better food plot growing conditions, and likely better body weight deer with better antler development this season would be found in the areas with the white coloration in Mississippi which have had consistently better soil moisture. The map suggests to me the prime hunting areas this season could well be the north delta region of our state with the south delta and southwest regions suffering badly as a result of the combined weather conditions of flooding, then drought, and finally the heat wave.

For those interested in hunting out of state, the soil moisture profile shows a pocket of upper 1% moisture level content in the northern Pennsylvania region.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Soil Moisture Profile -8/23/11

Postby terry08 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:15 pm

Very good info. Firecloud, and I feel I am in for a repeat of last year.

Thanks for the information. :2TU: :2TU: :2TU:
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby LazyGhost » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:54 pm

Great info firecloud. I know that map speaks the truth cause where i live if ya want to dig a fence post hole your wasting your time with posthole diggers. Better get a jack hammer instead.
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:55 pm

Texas is hurting big time !
gtk
Admin

Postby FireCloud » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:12 pm

gtk wrote:Texas is hurting big time !

Texas surely has the worst overall conditions but several other states are suffering too, such as Oklahoma, Louisiana, Georgia, and portions of Mississippi, New Mexico, Arizona, and a few other smaller areas. Florida, Missouri, and Arkansas have some affected areas too.

Heard someone say the other day that we have had pretty nearly every kind of major natural disaster that can happen occur in the past 12 months..blizzards, heat waves, floods, droughts, earthquakes, volcano eruptions, tornados, hurricanes, wildfires, and even remnants of the tsunami. They asked

"What's next? Asteriods?" :W:

Let's hope not! :nono:
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:52 am

I don't rule out anything at this time. :W:
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:27 am

Thanks, some good info.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Habitat