• Advertisement

2011 Food Plot Improvements

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

2011 Food Plot Improvements

Postby FireCloud » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:59 pm

Thought those of you who like to keep up with what is going on at my property might like to see a few photos of the recent "free" work I got as a result of a sewer line repair.

Here is a photo of the new "shooting lane" which now gives me a wide, clear opening coming directly to my food plot and main shooting house. Keep in mind my land is "bow only" with no gun hunting. I can bring in any size equipment easily now. The lane itself is about 10 yards wide until it reaches the small ravine where it ends in a 20 yard circular clearing. Distance for this lane is about 85 yards from my shooting house. All I need to do now is disk and plant something in the lane and clearing for the deer to eat.

- 001.jpg

I also was able to get culverting and pipe laid in the small ravine to create an easy crossing into the food plot itself. After a few trips over the new path with the large track hoe, it's really a pretty workable crossing now.

- 010.jpg

The new path leads right up to my main stand, which I am working to complete before season starts, and into the food plot area. Mija is checking out the new trail.

- 011.jpg
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: 2011 Food Plot Improvements

Postby terry08 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:09 pm

FireCloud, You cannot kill deer in the city limits of Byram, Ms. Get out and find some rural property. :rotflol: :rotflol:
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:15 pm

The backhoe operator also dug out several large stumps in my food plot area making it much better. The old stump still left is where my mineral station has been for the past three years. The deer hit this station often.

- 002.jpg

Another nice improvement was clearing out the junction of two small ravines with the main ravine just below my shooting house. The deer often use the foot trail and enter the food plot at the footbridge (they just jump over.) I can now see them clearly from my stand just before they come into the clearing.

- 006.jpg

The plot area is now ready to disk and plant, hopefully within the next few days. Mija scouts the area for any lurking deer.

- 014.jpg

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:21 pm

terry08 wrote:FireCloud, You cannot kill deer in the city limits of Byram, Ms. Get out and find some rural property. :rotflol: :rotflol:

Sure I can. Done it several times before and intend to do it again. :D

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:53 am

[quote="FireCloud"]Thought those of you who like to keep up with what is going on at my property might like to see a few photos of the recent "free" work I got as a result of a sewer line repair.

Here is a photo of the new "shooting lane" which now gives me a wide, clear opening coming directly to my food plot and main shooting house. Keep in mind my land is "bow only" with no gun hunting. I can bring in any size equipment easily now. The lane itself is about 10 yards wide until it reaches the small ravine where it ends in a 20 yard circular clearing. Distance for this lane is about 85 yards from my shooting house. All I need to do now is disk and plant something in the lane and clearing for the deer to eat.

I also was able to get culverting and pipe laid in the small ravine to create an easy crossing into the food plot itself. After a few trips over the new path with the large track hoe, it's really a pretty workable crossing now.

The new path leads right up to my main stand, which I am working to complete before season starts, and into the food plot area. Mija is checking out the new trail.

[/quote]

That equipment is nice huh! I wish I had more! Looking good, it's about time to burry some seeds!
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:33 am

Nothing like getting cleanup work for free :)
gtk
Admin

Postby huntall » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:32 pm

Lookin good! Should make a great plot ! :ylsuper:
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby LazyGhost » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Dang, that sure does look good! :ylsuper:

You sure received a blessing getting all that work done for free. For those of yall that dont know firecloud, he is CHEAP and a bit old fashion, and probably a little quirky. :W: He enjoys spending countless hours in his woods cutting trees and limbs with an old dull handsaw. :roll: I cant help but believe he may be a little disappointed that it all got done so fast and easy. :D
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby Curlyjack » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:46 pm

Looks good FireCloud. Good Luck on the non-firearm hunting. :ylsuper:
"TEAM 8 Antler Addicts"

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday. " John Wayne
Curlyjack
Non-Typical

Postby saddaddykiller » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:21 pm

LazyGhost wrote:Dang, that sure does look good! :ylsuper:

You sure received a blessing getting all that work done for free. For those of yall that dont know firecloud, he is CHEAP and a bit old fashion, and probably a little quirky. :W: He enjoys spending countless hours in his woods cutting trees and limbs with an old dull handsaw. :roll: I cant help but believe he may be a little disappointed that it all got done so fast and easy. :D

does he use arrowheads for broadheads?? looks good firecloud
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:34 pm

SDK, I use "Steel Force" broadheads which are extremely wicked fixed blade head with heavy serated edges that is super tough.

Here is one shot through a wooden table leg. It will penetrate bone just as well.

- 002.jpg

Here is what the heads look like.

- 014.jpg

I do enjoy the use of traditional equipment and methods for doing things. It's just fun doing things in a more primitve style. CHEAP however is what you have to be when you are POOR!

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:42 am

[quote="FireCloud"]SDK, I use "Steel Force" broadheads which are extremely wicked fixed blade head with heavy serated edges that is super tough.

Here is one shot through a wooden table leg. It will penetrate bone just as well.

Here is what the heads look like.

I do enjoy the use of traditional equipment and methods for doing things. It's just fun doing things in a more primitve style. CHEAP however is what you have to be when you are POOR![/quote]

Why did ya shoot a table leg??? Lol
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby dustygoodson » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:15 pm

kool pics going be a good spot
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:43 pm

That's fine and dandy FC but I dont know how many table legs I expect to kill this year, LOL. On the other hand if you were aiming at the table leg, good shot! Looks like a nice broadhead though. I use to shoot serrated blades until expandables came out. Use to love them
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Return to Wildlife Habitat