• Advertisement

Took Off Early Today

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Took Off Early Today

Postby terry08 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:09 pm

To disc up the gas line so I could sow turnips, rape, and Austrian winter peas. Ahead of the rain they have in the forecast for Sat. Sun. & Monday. The ground was hard as concrete and after several passes with the disc I finally gave up. I think I got it deep enough to plant, but we need rain in a very bad way.
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: Took Off Early Today

Postby saddaddykiller » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:16 pm

if we dont git any rain down here, were gonna have to use dynamite to break up the ground
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:32 pm

We bought a 5foot pto driven cultivator and have never had issues with breaking ground since then but you're right the ground is hard as concrete. I'm nit planting until mid September and not until we have good rain in the forecast
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby chadbragg » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:42 pm

I am running a middle buster every 2' then disking. If not I would never break the clay around here.
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:55 pm

Terry
Chisel plow the heck out of it
Let the rain come
then disc, and plant, as soon as it;s dry enough
:W:
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby terry08 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:19 pm

Bought 2# turnip seed. 2# rape, and 100# Austrian winter peas. Not sure if I want to sow them yet or not. May wait to see if the rain is really going to fall.

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby huntall » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:26 pm

Terry, its hard to say but if we don't get that rain it would be bad for you! I am waiting 2 weeks before i plant my turnips and rape! Never can tell about the rain, but it sure is dry now!!!!
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:05 pm

Think they talking about 40% for Sunday but you know how that goes.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:04 pm

Was talking with a guy at the hardware store and he said they are sellling lots of seed but people don't need to be planting it yet. Just too dry. Walked into the food plot at lunch and I agree. It is way too dry to plant unless "for sure" rain is coming.

The large track hoe that dug up my stumps hardly made a dent in the dirt anywhere it went. The soil is packed like concrete. Even digging down a couple feet to get stumps out, the soil still had no moisture in it. The upturned dirt was just as dry as the surface dirt. That's bad! Reallly bad. The soil moisture chart I posted on 8-23 showed how bad it is in some areas.

I'm not planting until AFTER the next decent rain puts some moisture in the soil and it can be worked properly. If I planted now, I would be planting in dust!
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:04 am

Ya'll got me sold on waiting. I just do not think it is going to rain this week end. Will wait a couple more weeks.

terry08
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Habitat