• Advertisement

When are yall planting?

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

When are yall planting?

Postby huntall » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:12 pm

This rain that a lot of us are getting should be putting a lot of moisture back in the soil so our plots can be planted in a few weeks! Before this rain the soil was so dry it was looking bad for
the fall planting! The cooler weather will also be much appreciated also!
Im still planting at about the end of this month.
When are yall planting?
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Re: When are yall planting?

Postby LazyGhost » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:18 pm

We'll probably plant the first of october or so. but between now and then weve got some bushhogging and disking to do.
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby BigRic » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:49 pm

end of the month first of next month
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby ducman77 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:16 pm

Army worms are really bad right now. I will be waiting around until at least the 20th of the month.
Last edited by ducman77 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM 7
ducman77
6 Point

Postby FireCloud » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:32 pm

My plot is not large but I work it with hand operated equipment (tiller, rakes, hand spreader, etc.) so it takes me a while to get it done. I plant in sections and have gotten two sections done already this week. Still got about 75% of the area left to do.

There is plenty of moisture in the upper level of the soil but not so much deeper down, despite the 11 inches of rain that fell in the past three days. In fact, I was able to til the soil and plant every day during the rain which shows you how dry the soil really was. I dug into my compost pile after the rain and at one foot down there was NO moisture. It was bone dry. Unfinished compost is not hard packed dirt but is loose leaves and grass clippings. You would think an 11 inch rain would have soaked the pile to the bottom but it didn't.

So it's a gamble planting anything here unless more rains follow within a week or so. Last year, it was so dry that I could not plant until the third week of October, or about 7 weeks from now. Planting that late did not allow much to germinate as the average first frost occurs about 3 weeks afterwards.

Thus, I am thinking the best bet is to plant now while there is at least enough moisture to help germinate the seeds and there is enough time to get a decent stand up and growing with a developed root system before frost arrives in 8 or 9 weeks. No follow up rains or a return of hot weather can still spoil everything however.

My advice is to always be finished planting at least 30 days prior to the average first frost date in your area. For my area, that means everything must be planted by October 8.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:27 am

I agree Firecloud, Our gravel roads are completely dry, no water in the ditches. My pond did come up three feet though. I figured after the all day steady rain and the the six inches we got that night the ground would be soaked. Just goes to show how dry it really is. I went to the gas line Tues. afternoon and the fresh disc dirt was almost dry. I could walk on it without my shoes getting mud on them amazing.

I feel good I got the turnips and rape sowed anyway. They are hearty plants and if they can germinate and start a root system I think they will do fine. Who knows when the next rain will come. I took a chance on taking advantage of a good situation.
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Habitat