• Advertisement

What are yall going to plant this year?

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

What are yall going to plant this year?

Postby huntall » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:23 pm

I always plant a combination rye grass, wheat, and oats. I am also going to add turnips, rape, and a little clover to a couple of plots.
What about yall?
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Re: What are yall going to plant this year?

Postby gtk » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Got corn that I planted in June, and I'll probably throw some wheat/clover out in a couple spots.
gtk
Admin

Postby BigRic » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:57 pm

what I put out has oats, wheat, rye, winter peas , rape, crimson clover and top it off with 13-13-13 then hit it with Amonia Nitrate after it starts up..
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:14 pm

I have clay peas and yellow Jarvis corn planted now. Will plant my own blend of wheat, oats, rape, turnip, and clover mix. actually planting a 30' wide by app150yd long area in some thinned pines. I'm thinking of not blending the seeds and just planting it in sections.
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby joshua99ta » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:35 pm

im gunna try a little of it all this year....

last year I just planted tecomate ultra forage and winter peas.

this year ima do oats, millet, wheat, turnips, peas, and clover. I'm gunna seperate them all this year instead of the mixes... I think it may work better... I guess i'll see!
Rem. SPS 25-06-- rifle of choice for now
Gotta get a Barret 50BMG so I can go deer hunting
Matthews Z7 extreme
PoPo RZR 800- the carnage hauler and beer mobile
Can-am Renegade 940 by FCP
joshua99ta
Boone&Crockett

Postby FireCloud » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:45 pm

I worked for a while today at my food plot. Raked and leveled a lot of the fresh dirt turned up by the track hoe when digging out stumps, then started planting. I did two sections. One area along a drainage ditch through my plot that was reshaped with the track hoe I planted in Bob oats. I also planted the Bob oats along one of the small ravine banks, again to help with erosion control.

I planted a section of the main plot with Austrian winter peas. I threw in some left over garden seeds, including about 1/4 pound of purple hull peas, some sugar snap pea seeds, some okra, etc., to give the deer a little "candy." They will likely mow that down pretty quick after it germinates.

Although the deer have kept the clover chewed pretty low, there is still a little of the clover growing here and there. And TS Lee has blown down a lot of acorns that are now littering the plot. The acorns are still green and not yet mature so I don't know if the deer will eat them but if they do, there are plenty of acorns on the ground.

Last year I mixed seeds but this year I am planting in irregularly shaped sections. It should give me a better idea of what the deer feed on most. Deer entering the plot will have ready access to browse any of the plantings as they desire. I will be planting some Elbon Rye and Winter Wheat in two other sections. Likely I will also be planting some turnips too. And I have a quanity of sunflower seeds to add to the plot.

Therefore, the deer visiting my food plot will have oats, cereal rye, wheat, winter peas, turnips, purple hull peas, sugar snap peas, okra, clover, and probably even some sunflowers to browse along with acorns from three different types of oaks and native browse along the edges of the woodline. They will have a well established mineral lick in the plot too and a little corn pre-season for good measure. If they don't stop to nibble at my plot, then they just are not hungry deer!
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:53 pm

I'm not the only one not blending seeds. Just a trial this year for me. The stretch I mentioned earlier was the loggers main runway to taxi logs across the property. This is where I have chose to put the sky box. I plan to branch off and plant each of the rows left from thinning app 100' off tge main plot. I plan to plant each in something different.
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:33 pm

The gas line is 40 ft wide and 150 yds. long. I planted two lbs. turnips and two lbs. rape. I am going to try a new seed as soon as the rain stops. Something they call wacky weed, never heard of it but some of the folks around here say it will drive the deer crazy but you must keep an eye out for poachers.

An old timer down the road said he has plenty of seed, and what ever the deer don't eat he will harvest for me. " Wow " I have some great neighbors.
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby joshua99ta » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:10 pm

LMAO!!! yeah you better watch planting that "wacky weed" yanno that stuff is highly illegal! Planting that stuff will get ya in a whole bunch of trouble!
Rem. SPS 25-06-- rifle of choice for now
Gotta get a Barret 50BMG so I can go deer hunting
Matthews Z7 extreme
PoPo RZR 800- the carnage hauler and beer mobile
Can-am Renegade 940 by FCP
joshua99ta
Boone&Crockett

Postby leepurvis » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:26 am

yeah, you may not want to burn it off at the end of the year. The deer won't be the only ones feeling wacky. :W:
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Habitat