• Advertisement

Food Plot - Updated Photos

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Food Plot - Updated Photos

Postby FireCloud » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Had a work day this afternoon at my food plot. Things are shaping up there pretty well. I have planted about 2/3 of the main plot area, or an area about 20 yards by 20 yards. I still have about 1/3 of the main plot (15 yards by 20 yards) to do and hope to get most of it done tomorrow. I will still have the new shooting lane recently cut out of the woods left to plant too.

Everything I have already planted is germinating well. The Elbon Rye is looking the best. The Bob Oats are also up and should do ok. The Austrian Winter Peas are sprouting but really have not made a good stand yet.

Today I planted sunflower seeds in a strip in the center of the plot. Deer love eating sunflower shoots when they newly emerge so I expect them to be a magnet by opening day of bow season.

The rest of the plot will be planted in Winter Wheat. Not sure what I will plant on the shooting lane; maybe just rye grass.

The deer are visiting the plot regularly but likely only at night because of me being in there during the day. There are deer tracks in the plot, mostly near the remaining clover patches which they are mowing down or at the mineral station. I have some fawns on my land too, as I am seeing some little tracks along with the mature deer.

Seeing the deer tracks is encouraging. When the plot has more new, tender plants in it in a couple more weeks and the acorns start dropping, the deer will be in there even during the daytime. They cannot resist the lure of the food plot.

I burned off some of the piles of brush and trimmed some limbs hanging over the plot too. I need to complete some additional tree trimming and then the plot will be ready. My goal is to be done by next weekend so I can be completely out of the area for a couple weeks before season starts.
Last edited by FireCloud on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Food Plot Is Taking Shape

Postby FireCloud » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:42 pm

Got a little more done at the food plot today. Broke up another section and planted winter wheat. I now have about 3/4 of the main food plot planted. Because this is "new ground" hacked from what was previously a growing forest last year, there are a lot of stump roots, vine roots, and other unwanted trash that makes it slow going.

The small amount of corn being dispensed is also being cleaned up daily. Not a single kernal remains so the coons, possums, squirrels, and maybe a deer or two are showing up every night.

I got a little more of the exterior siding installed on my tree stand today also. It's all looking much better and coming together about on schedule.

The Elbon Rye and Bob Oats are shooting up rapidly and there is now some green showing in those sections. With the nice temps, all that is needed is a shower later this week after I finish planting.

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby EddyBo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:29 pm

Good luck getting a rain. I am so relieved not to have twenty plus acres to plant this year. I enjoyed it for years, but got tired of it.
I know just enough to be dangerous.

EddyBo
Gone but not Forgotten

Postby jv » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:13 am

Sounds like it's coming alone pretty good.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby huntall » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:20 pm

Sounds like the deer are going to have plenty to eat when you get finished with it!
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Rain is on the way Eddybo. Will get a shower on it this weekend shortly after I finish getting it planted. I've already put in a requisition!

I am making steady progress but work and other things keep interferring with my fun!

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:18 pm

Got everything planted in the plot last weekend on 9/18. Sections planted two weeks earlier are doing great. Here are some photos as of 9/21. Should look much better in 10 more days!

- 002.jpg

- 023.jpg

- 022.jpg

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Food Plot - Updated Photos

Postby FireCloud » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:26 pm

- 020.jpg

- 019.jpg

- 008.jpg

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:32 pm

What the deer see upon entering the plot.. The last two sections, planted 9/11 and 9/18, contain Winter Wheat and Sunflowers, and are just beginning to germinate.

- 014.jpg

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:47 am

Looking great FireCloud...good luck
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Habitat