• Advertisement

All Done

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

All Done

Postby glenn » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:29 am

Spent the last few days getting seed in the ground. It's all done now, if we get some rain. Who else has theirs planted?
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Re: All Done

Postby BigRic » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:33 am

not for a couple more weeks we always plant 1st of oct
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:43 am

Some done some not
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby chadbragg » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:13 am

I have 3 of my 5 planted.
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:37 am

I like to plant early in October, but had good equipment available this weekend, so i figured I would be dumb not to take advantage of the help. We did in 2 days what normally takes me a full week, or more by myself.
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby LazyGhost » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:58 pm

Next weekend for us nore than likely. Wanting to get some rain this week then break up the soil a little better. I did finish getting everything ready for bow season though. Except myself.
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby huntall » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:18 pm

I'll be planting the next 2 weekends in a row.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby EddyBo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:26 pm

Finishing tomorrow if my buddy who is able to do all the work can break away from work.
I know just enough to be dangerous.

EddyBo
Gone but not Forgotten

Postby FireCloud » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:08 pm

Finished planting every seed I had today, Glenn. Sure feels good to get it done ahead of the rain this week.

My Austrian Winter Peas are growing fast, with some of them 8 inches tall already. They were planted exactly two weekds ago during TS Lee's rain but no rain since. The Bob Oats are nice, thick, and green. The Elbon Rye is also growing well but is not as thick. All of those are really doing nicely.

The Winter Wheat planted one week ago has germinated in some areas but needs rain. I planted the rest of the Winter Wheat today.

The purple hull peas are at the two leaf stage but have the Austrian winter peas as a cover crop so they might not get eaten by the deer too quickly. I have not yet seen any sunflowers germinating. A few acorns are just starting to fall so everything is on schedule to be in good shape by opening day.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:56 am

every single year we always say we gonna wait and plant around mid october due to the lack of rain........but we always end up planting late sept/early october....we aint planted anything yet and still dont know when we gonna plant yet...
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:22 am

Looking at the radar I feel very good about our decission to go ahead and plant. I think we will get the rain we need, or at least hope so. The only thing that concerns me is the reports of army worms around the area.

We did something this year I have never done before that one of my uncles who farms a couple thousand acres told me to do years ago. A month ago we went in and disced most of our plots. Apparently all the rain from TS Lee was absorbed into the soil. We lightly went over them again Friday and had good moisture to plant in. The ones that we did not get to earlier were nothing but dust after turning them over. I guess even with all that rain most of it ran off of them.

He told me to break it up good and deep, wait until after a good rain, then disc again lightly and plant. It sure seems to have worked, so that will become a regular habit for me in the future. Do any of you do this? We actually did it only to make things easier to break up like we want it when it was time to plant. I guess being lazy and trying to cheat a little finally paid off for me.
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby Allisonboatsms » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:52 am

We always try to disc deep early and let it sit .. we also apply some fertilizer and lime at that time and give it a chance to get watered in before we plant.Has always worked well for us .
By the pricking of my thumbs...Something wicked this way comes.
Ruger M77 HAWKEYE 25-06 .. DEATH FROM AFAR.

TEAM 5
Allisonboatsms
6 Point

Postby ducman77 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:47 pm

The 3 plots i planted should come up after this nice rain..
TEAM 7
ducman77
6 Point

Postby buckcrazy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:42 pm

Planted last weekend and we have some fuzzy green stuff peaking out even before this rain. Finally timed it right. Last year we had to throw seeds three times
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby saddaddykiller » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:40 pm

glenn wrote:Looking at the radar I feel very good about our decission to go ahead and plant. I think we will get the rain we need, or at least hope so. The only thing that concerns me is the reports of army worms around the area.

We did something this year I have never done before that one of my uncles who farms a couple thousand acres told me to do years ago. A month ago we went in and disced most of our plots. Apparently all the rain from TS Lee was absorbed into the soil. We lightly went over them again Friday and had good moisture to plant in. The ones that we did not get to earlier were nothing but dust after turning them over. I guess even with all that rain most of it ran off of them.

He told me to break it up good and deep, wait until after a good rain, then disc again lightly and plant. It sure seems to have worked, so that will become a regular habit for me in the future. Do any of you do this? We actually did it only to make things easier to break up like we want it when it was time to plant. I guess being lazy and trying to cheat a little finally paid off for me.

weve done that every time for as long as i can remember...we plow, wait 1-3 weeks, then disk once or twice, then plant.....
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:40 pm

[quote="glenn"]Looking at the radar I feel very good about our decission to go ahead and plant. I think we will get the rain we need, or at least hope so. The only thing that concerns me is the reports of army worms around the area.

He told me to break it up good and deep, wait until after a good rain, then disc again lightly and plant. It sure seems to have worked, so that will become a regular habit for me in the future. Do any of you do this? We actually did it only to make things easier to break up like we want it when it was time to plant. I guess being lazy and trying to cheat a little finally paid off for me.[/quote]

Ya need a good middle buster!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:15 pm

chadbragg wrote:
glenn wrote:Looking at the radar I feel very good about our decission to go ahead and plant. I think we will get the rain we need, or at least hope so. The only thing that concerns me is the reports of army worms around the area.

dont it take a LONGG time to get anything broke up with a middle buster considering they are so narrow?
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:31 am

[quote="saddaddykiller"]"chadbragg" wrote: "glenn" wrote: Looking at the radar I feel very good about our decission to go ahead and plant. I think we will get the rain we need, or at least hope so. The only thing that concerns me is the reports of army worms around the area.

dont it take a LONGG time to get anything broke up with a middle buster considering they are so narrow?[/quote]

Yeah it takes a bit, but the results are well worth it. I try to run it every 2.5-3'. So i cover a lil ground.
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:55 am

Chad, I use one some, but with 18 plots to plant I don't have the time to do them all each year. An 1,100 pound disc cuts pretty good though.
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby j-bo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:34 am

All done with 7 plots last weekend. Timely rain.. can't believe our luck this year over last year with that.
j-bo
4 Point

Postby LazyGhost » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:44 pm

I finished up today. Glad i waited cause it sure felt good this morning with that chill in the air.
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby ducman77 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:56 pm

Thought I was done and found out I have 5 more to plant..
TEAM 7
ducman77
6 Point

Return to Wildlife Habitat