• Advertisement

Making some progress on the land!

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Postby buckcrazy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:24 am

Hey guys, been busy lately with my property. Doing a lot of dozer work lately and still a lot left to do.
This is a picture of before and after grading the road and adding gravel. This road was only accessible by ATV before because of the washouts Image

This is a before and after of the homesite area. Image

Added a powerline right of way to run the electricity to the homesite

We even took a lunch break and caught a few fish in the pond. Caught 13 bass total in about an hour. Image

Got a few more deer on camera too, wish he hadn't broke his right side off. May have been a decent one this year but now he gets a pass for this year. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Re: Making some progress on the land!

Postby gtk » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:59 am

looks like you are going to have something for years to enjoy
gtk
Admin

Postby dustygoodson » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:40 pm

you have a a nice place can't wait to see more pics
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:53 pm

Great looking place and lots of progress. You will enjoy it a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:59 am

Great progress, keep sharing as time allows. Your going to have a beautiful place soon.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:02 am

Coming along just great
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:28 am

Thanks, its a lot of work but in the end it will be nice. Was disappointed yesterday when I got there and the roads didn't look like I left them. We had a monsoon of a rain by us Saturday evening, about 3 inches in a 2 hour period, and left the roads looking less than desirable. Glad I still have the dozer for another 2 weeks so we can fix everything and still get the plots I want to make cleared. The gravel was actually laid a little to thick and made some "soft" spots on the roads. Just need to knock the gravel down and spread it out a little better so that it packs down the way it needs to do. I installed a new gate with the help of my kids and friend but will take it back off and go with a 16' gate instead to be sure we have plenty of clearance for whatever comes through. Didn't think that one through before rushing to get a gate back up :bash:
Good news is that with the amount of rain we had replacing the 12 inch culvert with a 24 inch really helped out :ylsuper:
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby buckcrazy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Anyone have any ideas on what I could do to "pack" the gravel down to lock it in quicker? There are some areas as I stated that are to thick and need to be thinned out. I'm planning on taking my box blade and dragging some areas thinner than they are. I think it may be way to much gravel to really pack down good.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:34 am

not sure, unless you could get some of that soil cement and add to it.. either that, or just time & mother nature
gtk
Admin

Postby buckcrazy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:58 am

yeah I'm guessing I just need to let mother nature pack it down. Not to many options really. I should've just paved the whole dang thing :roll:

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby terry08 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:41 am

buckcrazy wrote:yeah I'm guessing I just need to let mother nature pack it down. Not to many options really. I should've just paved the whole dang thing :roll:

Slag, would have been much better.

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:25 am

Terry , That was my plan until I was told that slag was $700 a load and $250 trucking fee because no yards nearby had slag. I tried several different companies but was told the same thing by each one.
After checking on it again this weekend I notice there are some spots that I can pull the gravel from and add to some of the thinner areas. I need to wait another week or two and wait for rain to see where I will need it and which ditches I need to make deeper for runoff because after last week I see where the water crossed the road. May need to add another culvert or two.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby buckcrazy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:18 am

Almost got the home and garage site cleared and leveled enough. Should be starting on a 30x45 garage in the next few weeks, hopefully! ImageImageImage

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby terry08 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:47 am

Looks great.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:48 am

Looking great
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:03 pm

A view from about the middle of the pond looking back at the homesite.
If you guys get aggravated with me posting pics let me know. I'll hold off if so. Image

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby terry08 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:44 pm

Heck no. Never get tired of photos. And someone accomplishing their goals.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby triple_duece » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:03 pm

Great looking place and congrats. Remember everything you do now, it will reward you in return. One day after I retire I will build a nice camp on my place.
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby triple_duece » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:08 pm

With packing your gravel, if it's to loose it's gonna be an issue. You could put some sand to help firm it up or slag/fine limestone.

As for washouts, if your place is hilly your gonna need to put humps in your trails and divert water with ditches away from trails. Any water crossings (dry ditches) will need a big culvert or make them low water crossings w sizable stones.
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby buckcrazy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:46 pm

The road isn't hilly as it follows the top of a ridge. I talked to the gravel guy I'm getting it from and he said it's going to be fine. It's got a good solid clay base and will settle just fine. Guess Im just being impatient. He also suggested in about 6 months to drop some slag on it to get the look I'm wanting. He found another delivery guy that's a good bit cheaper than the $250 delivery I was quoted. If I top dress it with the limestone or slag he thinks I could get away with 3-4 truckloads to do the 1/2 mile.
I think we've got all the washouts and water crossings covered for now. We put in 6 culverts and made some runoffs that look to be working like we planned.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby terry08 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Sounds like a plan.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby dustygoodson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:49 pm

love the pics keep them coming
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby Curlyjack » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:55 pm

Looking Good!
"TEAM 8 Antler Addicts"

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday. " John Wayne
Curlyjack
Non-Typical

Postby buckcrazy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:47 pm

Well they picked up the dozer. I had it rented for a month. Got 3 weeks of work out of it because my dozer guy had a prior engagement to do so we lost a week. Didn't really mater that week because it stormed the whole week.
He's sending me pics in dribs and drabs so this is all I have so far. Garage slab is being put in tomorrow and building will be up by Tuesday they tell me.

I'll post more as he sends them.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:50 am

8)
gtk
Admin

Next

Return to Wildlife Habitat