• Advertisement

Food Plot Journal

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Food Plot Journal

Postby Tom Talker » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:20 am

I recently joined a club in east MS with a couple of co-workers and I've been preaching to them that instead of just "shooting" plots, we needed to plant both spring and fall. I've decided to turn my words into action and have started doing my homework for next year. I'll be keeping a journal at home of everything I do i.e. seed mixes, money spent, fertilizer and mowing, etc. Didn't have to look any further than some of the food plot pictures posted here for some inspiration. I plan to update this post with any milestones such as planting, mowing and such along with some pics of our progress. Any advice is appreciated (already got some from gtk and ufgators68) as this is my first undertaking beyond chunkin' some rye grass and winter wheat out in the fall. Got my start today by picking up my soil sample boxes and forms from the county extension office...here goes!
Dress'em where you shoot'em!
Tom Talker
Spike

Re: Food Plot Journal

Postby jbullard1 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:45 am

The soil samples are the way to get started. If your soil is anything like mine, you may be surprised just how much lime they recommend. Choose your seed mix carefully of let your county agent tell you what to plant. They know what grows best in your soil and I have found they are more than willing to talk to hunters about food plots.
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby Tom Talker » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:24 am

Well, this little project seems to be on hold now. Heard through the grapevine that the landowner of the property with all of our food plots may not renew his lease. Maybe he'll have a change of heart before planting time in the spring.
Tom Talker
Spike

Postby 204 ruger » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:59 pm

This happened to every lease I ever signed. Always took about 3 years of work (dozer work, food plots, roads, shooting houses...)before the owner would look at the place and say WOW!! I could sell this place and make some money, or I think the lease is worth double the current price. Repeatedly happened. Finally got sick of all the lost time and money and bought our own place. 5 years later it gets better every year, and the good part, no doubts at planting time in spring and we know where we will be come fall. Sorry to hear your misfortune, hope he reconsiders.
204 ruger
6 Point

Postby gtk » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:48 pm

Yep.. That's the bad thing about leases.. Only thing is you can't do much about it.. It helps when the landowner hunts with you like bwm's club..
gtk
Admin

Postby Tom Talker » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:25 am

The tract of property that we hunt (our portion of the club land) is actually owned by two different parties. The north end is solid regrowth pines with the owner living on the north end. We have an arrangement with her that allows her grandson to hunt the property as well...for free...so he benefits from any work we do on that part. It's the fella on the south end with all the hardwoods and open spaces (our food plots) that is in question. I'd be more than happy to have him hunt with us, free if need be, to keep the lease. Nothing like having somebody living on the premises to keep an eye on things, plus he's got lots of equipment. Hopefully we'll know something soon.
Tom Talker
Spike

Return to Wildlife Habitat