• Advertisement

alfalfa????

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

alfalfa????

Postby mikybigbuck » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:24 pm

has anyone tried to grow alfalfa for deer?...most people usually go with wheat/ clover or another blend...i was just curious how it would do in n miss....
Looking for Mr Big
mikybigbuck
Non-Typical

Re: alfalfa????

Postby 204 ruger » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:09 pm

We didn't have great results with it.I don't think it is extremely heat tolerant. It is very tempermental, and make sure you check soil samples first. We have always had excellent luck out of Advantage clover and the deer and turkeys absolutely love it. It produces for me year round and they are in it every single day.
204 ruger
6 Point

Postby mikybigbuck » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:39 am

204 ruger wrote:We didn't have great results with it.I don't think it is extremely heat tolerant. It is very tempermental, and make sure you check soil samples first. We have always had excellent luck out of Advantage clover and the deer and turkeys absolutely love it. It produces for me year round and they are in it every single day.
thanks for the reply....with the hot nov/dec we have, i was wondering how much it would take...where is the best place to get the Advantage?...I need to plant about 15 acres...is it good in sandy soil??
thanx again, mike
Looking for Mr Big
mikybigbuck
Non-Typical

Postby gtk » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:07 am

i've never tried alfalfa for deer.. The only alfalfa I've even heard of around here, was planted by a friend of mine for some hay one year.. I think it was more trouble than it was worth..
gtk
Admin

Postby jodymac » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:22 pm

Alfalfa is a tough crop for our region however, the University of Georgia has developed a Southern variety of alfalfa called - you guessed it Bulldog Alfalfa - you can get alot of info on the internet about it. I've seen a test plot or two and it looked really good.
jodymac
Spike

Postby 204 ruger » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:51 pm

We plant about 50 acs a year , twice a year, in a little of every thing just for the deer. I buy the Advantage clover at Seeds Inc. on President's Isle. The good thing about it is a 50# bag is the same price of 25# in Imperial or Biologic (which both of died out in one season only the chufa remained). I have one clover plot in Advantage that's 5 yrs. old but it is in a clay/sandy loam bottom area. I planted 5-6 acs. last spring on a hilltop that does not have great soil texture but it really took off. Lime and fertilize, oh, did I mention lime...
204 ruger
6 Point

Postby mikybigbuck » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:42 pm

204 ruger wrote:We plant about 50 acs a year , twice a year, in a little of every thing just for the deer. I buy the Advantage clover at Seeds Inc. on President's Isle. The good thing about it is a 50# bag is the same price of 25# in Imperial or Biologic (which both of died out in one season only the chufa remained). I have one clover plot in Advantage that's 5 yrs. old but it is in a clay/sandy loam bottom area. I planted 5-6 acs. last spring on a hilltop that does not have great soil texture but it really took off. Lime and fertilize, oh, did I mention lime...
thanx for the reply...we put out 20 tons of lime on our 15 acres of foodplots 3 years ago....we had a great 4 acre corn crop this year, with 3 ears per stalk....the rest we fall planted wheat/oats/crimson clover/rape/and sugar beets...the fall planting seemed to be a little overkill and we were looking to cut back this year...we had a couple of members move away and our revenue may be down...trying to come up with ideas, mike
Looking for Mr Big
mikybigbuck
Non-Typical

Postby 204 ruger » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:16 pm

We have great results mixing our own RR soybeans and RR corn, probably 60-40. No problems with shading, soybeans are always 3' and loaded. I fertilize with a 13-13-13 or an equal mix in a higher yeild. For one, the corn only wants nitrogen (and its a greedly little rascal never enough)and the beans make additional nitrogen on their own so its a perfect mix. Besure to get a early and late maturity bean so the deer have their needed protein in antler season cause those beans are gone come mid October and your late bean will last till frost. Remember, corn is of absolutely no advantage to deer, EXCEPT...they will be on your place when it gets cold, its candy (you know if you are getting 3 ear yeilds, that's great). 3 acres of clover in the back of a 12 acre standing corn/bean field is where I want to be come Nov-Dec. Thats the same way the Corp plants the fields for handicap hunts. Once again, no luck with Biomax mix. Planted 8 acs in it 1 mile from my mix, no comparison in very similar soils (PH,consistency,etc.) and I am still bushhogging corn every 2 weeks since season started and still have some standing.
204 ruger
6 Point

Return to Wildlife Habitat