• Advertisement

Food Plot Mixes ????

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Food Plot Mixes ????

Postby mshunter » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:59 pm

Wanted some of you guys info on good mixes for Spring that will grow into fall early winter, as well as some good mixes for fall plantings. Looking to add some variety beside just wheat& oats. ..Thanks
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Re: Food Plot Mixes ????

Postby mshunter » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:50 am

Come on guys! :? :? I know some of you have a favorite mix you have had success in planting :?: ??????.......Ed
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby Part Time Hunter » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:44 am

You could go with clover for year round plots. I plan on planting soybeans this year, and maybe some corn.
help preserve our national blast time.
Part Time Hunter
Non-Typical

Postby gtk » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:08 am

I've never done any "spring" planting. My favorite mix is whitetail clover with wheat mixed in... the wheat keeps them visiting that fall, and the wheat lasts thru the spring until it gets real hot..
gtk
Admin

Postby jbullard1 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:02 am

In winter I plant a mix of ryegrass, wheat, oats and greens(turnip, mustard,rape, kale) then I plant clovers in a seperate section of the plot where I dont have to disk it every year. I dont buy the expensive commercial brand seed blends. You can go MSU's website and get plenty of seed varietys that are known to grow in Ms soils do the soil samples and stick to the lime and fertilizer reccomended. It may sound like a lot of trouble but if you are in a large club with lots of foodplots you will save money buying bulk seeds and mixing them yourself. You probably got some farmers as members that may get a price break from a co-op For summertime I would try and plant some peas with soybeans, iron and clay peas are good I've heard When they start eating on the peas you have to be ready to replant unless you have huge plots
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby mshunter » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:44 pm

Thanks for the info guys!! We are planting soybeans and cowpeas also in late april early may . We are thinking of trying some peanuts :?: Anyone planted any of them??
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby StraightUp » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:41 pm

We have been trying soybeans to carry us thru the Fall and into hunting season. For some reason this year the herd has literally grazed our beans into the ground. My suggestion is, if you plant, plant at least 60lb/ac and plant as many acres as you can.

SARCASM is just another service I offer free of charge
StraightUp
Spike

Postby Limb Hangers » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:57 am

I planted this last fall with great success. It's a popular mixture. Per acre:

Wheat: 30 lbs
Oats: 30 lbs
Crimson Clover: 12 lbs

Probably going to substitue the oats with Austrian Winter Peas this year and plant a couple of plots in nothing but clover.
Limb Hangers
Spike

Postby jalbrsn » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:36 pm

I have planted soybeans every year and the last to years they had the beans gone before bow season starts so i didn't plant any this yearplus the price of everything going up its not in my buget this year and thats my fault cause I took the lease this year by myself instead of having the other members with me
jalbrsn
Pope&Young

Postby Little Yazoo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:37 am

With the high price of fertilizer this year, any kind of clover is going to be an added plus being that it puts out is't own nitrogen. Plus it has a good chance of re-seeding. If you guys like Austrian Peas and see any out there you better grab them up. Word arounfd the campfire is that they will be in short supply this year. For cheaper sources don't forget about Bob Oats and Elbon Rye.

Good Luck!
Little Yazoo
button buck

Postby Woodwalker » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:16 pm

All of the seeds mentioned will do a fine job for a food plot, and I've had success with most of them. However if you want to keep them comin during the winter, you should add some purple top turnip and brassica seed.
In the woods or at the lake. Please leave message.
Woodwalker
8 Point

Return to Wildlife Habitat