• Advertisement

Planting Sawtooth Oaks

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Planting Sawtooth Oaks

Postby fullstrut12 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:05 pm

After deer season closes a buddy and I are planning on planting some sawtooth oaks at his land in flora. We are able to get 6-8' trees for about $14-$15 each. We'll prob. plant around 15 or so to start out with.

What depth should they be planted?
What precautions should be taken?
What are your experiences with these trees?
Should they be planted with the roots as they are in the pot, or should the hole be wide enough to spread the roots?

We are also planning on planting some Japanese Persimmons and the same questions apply, plus any other pointer you may have would be appreciated.
fullstrut12
8 Point

Re: Planting Sawtooth Oaks

Postby Limb Hangers » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:08 pm

The top of the rootball needs to be level with the ground. Kill all the weeds around the tree and keep them killed back. It's not neccessary to spread the roots. These trees grow fast and they don't look like your typical oak tree due to the shape of the leaves. Since these trees will already be 6-8 foot you wont have to take the precautions as with a seedling (enclosures, etc). They do best in clay soils that are well drained, but they will still do fine in moist soils. Sorry I can't help ya with the persimmon.
Limb Hangers
Spike

Postby fullstrut12 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:11 pm

thanks for the help
fullstrut12
8 Point

Postby Limb Hangers » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:20 pm

Post some pics after you get them planted.
Limb Hangers
Spike

Postby goldenhunter » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:22 pm

we have planted over a thousand sawtooths over the past 7 or 8 years. We always plant sapplings. They are alot cheaper and a lot easier to plant. We plant them with a dibble bar. No digging. The ones we planted in those first years are already starting to produce acorns. The only problem we've had with ours has been that the bucks love to rub on those trees.
goldenhunter
6 Point

Postby dublelung » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:06 pm

Yessir the bucks love to rub them. We've planted a few hundred Sawtooth, Nutall, and Burr Oaks the past 4 years and they're doing really well. The Sawtooth's are doing best and the Nutall are doing the worst. I keep the grass and weeds sprayed around them and give them a shot of fertilizer early spring and mid summer. We planted ours as saplings and used a shovel since some of the roots were fairly large. We just buried the top of the roots about 1-2 inches below the soil and moved on to the next one. We also planted ours in old fields so I could criss cross them with the bush hog and keep other trees from competing with them. Good luck with them.
I still hate Commies, even after they changed their name to Liberals.
dublelung
Non-Typical

Postby BigRic » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:17 pm

I used to work for International Paper and they gave us saw tooth oaks once a year....

Sawtooth oaks are most often
planted as 1-year transplants that
are sold either as bare-rooted or
containerized seedlings. Plant
the seedlings where they can get
plenty of light and about 25 feet
apart in rows 20- to 25-feet
wide. They may get enough light
to survive on field edges or interspersed
in pine plantings, but
they will not produce acorns.
One grove of 10 to 25 trees for
each 100 acres of land is usually
adequate. Sawtooths can be
planted like pine seedlings using
a dibble bar. Plant seedlings no
deeper then they were planted
in the nursery. Although they
can grow in most soils, sawtooth
oaks do best in sandy loam to
clay loam soil at sites that are
moderately well drained. Like
most hardwoods, sawtooth oaks
have thin bark and will not tolerate
wildfire or prescribed burning
as do thicker-barked pines.
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby fullstrut12 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:40 pm

thanks bigric
fullstrut12
8 Point

Postby tblue » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:40 pm

fullstrut12 wrote:After deer season closes a buddy and I are planning on planting some sawtooth oaks at his land in flora. We are able to get 6-8' trees for about $14-$15 each. We'll prob. plant around 15 or so to start out with.

What depth should they be planted?
What precautions should be taken?
What are your experiences with these trees?
Should they be planted with the roots as they are in the pot, or should the hole be wide enough to spread the roots?

We are also planning on planting some Japanese Persimmons and the same questions apply, plus any other pointer you may have would be appreciated.

did you end up planting the Japanese Persimmons trees? How are they coming and where did you get them from?
Do you have a 740 Credit Score? If not, your losing money!!
visit my website and get the score you deserve!!
http://www.bestcreditrehab.com

Do it right or not at all!!!
tblue
button buck

Postby bensabamafan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:17 pm

I have about 150 sawtooth acorns in my fridge right now. I am going to try to start them in pots in a couple of weeks. These are going in my back yard because I'm tired of mowing back there because it stays wet during the winter. I'm hoping its not too wet for sawtooth. If it is, then I'm just going to plant some type of cypress and be done with it
bensabamafan
4 Point

Postby gtk » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:19 pm

unless there is standing water a lot of the time, i wouldn't think it would be too wet!
gtk
Admin

Postby gibowhunter » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:57 am

Hey fullstrut, if you haven't purchased yet you may want to check and compare prices, those are about in line for the mossyoak nativ trees at Home Depot but the ones at HD may be a little taller, or at least the ones I purchased were, you may also want to try A Tree Source in Fannin, Hutto's sometimes has sales on theirs, and the yard place across from Liberty Park in Madison (Martinsons? I think) sometimes has some deals.

I agree with what said about plant near same depth as in pot, also you need to protect them mainly from deer rubbing them, I use 4 inch irrigation pipe ripped down one side and then cut in 3 sections from a 4 inch 10 foot corrugated drain pipe, each 10 foot section should be @ $4. You can also stake them. Plant in an area that gets good sunshine and in the future want be overtaken by taller trees. You may want to consider planting in wads, 2-4 near each other say 10 foot apart and then a large space between the next ones, don't just scatter all over the property, cause when they start falling the deer would just scatter also, you want to draw them to specific areas. Keep them weed free and start fertilizing once they get established.
gibowhunter
button buck

Postby gibowhunter » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:02 am

This is a pic of a Swamp white oak (cow oak) showing the tree protector, with this type protector it makes it easy to just spray around it with Roundup, as you can see I had recently just sprayed around the trunk to keep the area weed free. Hope this helps.
gibowhunter
button buck

Postby conservative » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:06 pm

gibowhunter wrote:Image
This is a pic of a Swamp white oak (cow oak) showing the tree protector, with this type protector it makes it easy to just spray around it with Roundup, as you can see I had recently just sprayed around the trunk to keep the area weed free. Hope this helps.

The swamp chestnut, AKA Mississippi cow oak makes a great bowbhunting hot spot when they finally mature to the point of producing acorns. As you know the acorns it produces are huge. I planted about 25 on my farm 4 or 5 years ago and made the mistake of not protecting the trunks. About half of them have been destroyed by deer. Looks like you've got yours growing pretty good.
conservative
button buck

Postby county » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:36 pm

Ive learned 2 things from planting sawtooths several years.
1) tree tubes are over rated.
2) a tree transplanted as a one-year seedling will outgrow an older, larger transplant every time.
county
button buck

Postby gibowhunter » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:36 pm

You must not have many deer on your place, because at my place the bucks will rub them until they break or push them over, and if the trees are small they will keep eating the tops out and stunt their growth. I planted 3,000 seedlings at a time and the deer really worked them over, but once they got above where they could reach they will take off. Ive had best luck with the taller trees and the tree tubes.

county wrote:Ive learned 2 things from planting sawtooths several years.
1) tree tubes are over rated.
2) a tree transplanted as a one-year seedling will outgrow an older, larger transplant every time.
gibowhunter
button buck

Postby gibowhunter » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:14 pm

pics of 2 same size sawtooths planted at the same time about 10 feet apart, the only difference was one got a tree protector, the other didn't, the one with the tree protector is about 3 times taller and larger in diameter now.

gibowhunter
button buck

Postby gtk » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:52 am

Very interesting gibowhunter... thx for sharing
gtk
Admin

Return to Wildlife Habitat