• Advertisement

Does and Bucks

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Does and Bucks

Postby gtk » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:19 am

Whats your opinion on shooting does and the effect it has on the bucks in your area.

Do you have the mindset that by killing more does, the number of bucks you see increases, because they have to get out & look for them.

Or do you have the mindset that by having more does on your place, it attracts more bucks, thus you see more?
gtk
Admin

Re: Does and Bucks

Postby merrillcd_mem » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:42 am

We have seen a lot less does this year. This is the first year that we didn't have crops (beans) planted so I believe that most of those deer are on adjacent property . However We have seen a TON more bucks than we ever have.

I was kind of wondering and hoping that the big bucks would move a lot more this year during the rut?? on the other hand they may leave for surrounding property where the does are.

So hopefully less does means the bigger bucks move more in search of them.
merrillcd_mem
Boone&Crockett

Postby nobucks » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:25 am

I have always liked seeing the does, for where the does are the bucks will come. :D
nobucks
12 Point

Postby WGbuckfever » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:50 am

I was reading in my Mississippi Outdoors book where it says, whether managing for a healthy deer herd or larger bucks, an adequate doe harvest must be sustained annually to meet management goals.
WGbuckfever
Boone&Crockett

Postby BIGERN76 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:59 pm

I've read in several mags. that by takin the does, to try and get a 1 to 1 ratio, you will have a more intense rut. This is b/c if some of the does come out in the open to feed and only 1 (that is in heat) don't. The bucks will stay in the thick stuff with the 1.
Remington 700/CDL 30-06
2009 Diamond Black Ice
Bear Grizzly

QSMA Pro Staff
BIGERN76
Pope&Young

Postby mikybigbuck » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:54 pm

in my opinion, you need a 2 to 1 doe ratio for breeding purposes...only harvest mature deer (4 year old 8 point or better bucks or mature genetically inferior bucks, and matriarch does)...also carry only enough deer that your land will keep fed year around..you have to keep the herd balanced by alternating kills, or closing your personal season on does when a quota is filled...
Looking for Mr Big
mikybigbuck
Non-Typical

Postby jalbrsn » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:41 pm

Over the past 3 years in the small club I have we killed atleast 50 does maybe even more i lost count and last year we saw a difference in the amount of bucks we were seeing. Getting the ratio were it needed to be. Don't get me wrong there are alot of does that still need to taken out but it will be harder to do this year with me being there by myself but that was a hard decision i had to make this year. WGbuckfever AND phesterbuck was in there hunting with me the past few years they can tell you.
jalbrsn
Pope&Young

Postby WGbuckfever » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:16 am

jalbrsn wrote:Over the past 3 years in the small club I have we killed atleast 50 does maybe even more i lost count and last year we saw a difference in the amount of bucks we were seeing. Getting the ratio were it needed to be. Don't get me wrong there are alot of does that still need to taken out but it will be harder to do this year with me being there by myself but that was a hard decision i had to make this year. WGbuckfever AND phesterbuck was in there hunting with me the past few years they can tell you.

Yea when the people that hunt around your land dont kill does, it makes it hard to keep the does in check. We did kill our share each year but when the land owner has his 100+ acres of beans ate to the point he cant harvest them, you know there is to many does. I do hate not hunting there anymore but thats the way it goes and its not the first club I've lost.
WGbuckfever
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:12 am

On our place, I used to could hunt a week and maybe see three or four deer. But there was an excellent chance that, of those three or four deer, one or two of them was a good shooter buck.

Over the last 10 years or so, the doe population has exploded on our place. Now its nothing to go & see 5-10 deer a day, but it seems like the shooter bucks a few & far between now?
gtk
Admin

Postby rjenkins1981 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:33 am

THERE IS NO WAY ANYONE CAN OVERHARVEST DOES. IT IS JUST NOT POSSIBLE. I SAY TAKE OUT AS MANY AS YOU CAN. LOOK AT PARTS OF THE MIDWEST, THEY ACTUALLY GET TO HAVE A TRUE RUT. ACTUALLY HAVE CLOSE TO A 1:2 RATIO. HERE, TRY CLOSE TO 5:1 IF NOT MORE. DONT GET ME WRONG, I ENJOY SEEING LOTS OF DEER IN A FOOD PLOT IN THE EVENINGS, I WOULD RATHER SEE A GOOD BUCK COME IN THAT NEEDS TO BE HARVESTED.
rjenkins1981
6 Point

Postby ufgators68 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:03 pm

When I first started hunting my father in law's place there were does EVERYWHERE! I never saw a buck older than 3 years old and definitely never saw a "wall hanger". The next year I started stacking up the does and kept that up for 3 years, that 3rd year I killed my first deer bigger than a 16" 8 point. That was the 22 1/4" 9 point that's on my wall now. Since then there have been 4 other deer that scored well over 140" killed there, with the biggest, before deductions, being near 160".

We've cut back on does the past two years, not my idea and I didn't like it one bit, but this year the doe limit was bumped up to two per member. :ylsuper:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby rjenkins1981 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:32 pm

another thing, there are lots of does that do not get bred (sp?) in our area bc there are too many. i wish more people were aware of the doe over population and do more about it. like someone said above, they count on their land neighbor to kill them. i have buddy that truly believes in that and he has a beautiful place and perfect habitat, but does not harvest any does. its a shame bc i would kill for land like that.
rjenkins1981
6 Point

Return to Wildlife Habitat