• Advertisement

Help with my Land!!!

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Help with my Land!!!

Postby tblue » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:35 pm

I own 80 acres in Walthall County 10 miles north of Tylertown off hwy 583. The land is 80 acres of 8 year old clear cut that was not reseed or replanted. Let me tell you when i say its thick its thicker than, I dont know what. It took 3 hours to track a deer on our hands and knees cause we could not stand up in most places, and that was 200 yards in 3 hours. From what i can tell there is more little oaks in there than any thing else. And a lot of some type of trash tree that has a citrus smell. I do have a Miss. Biologist coming to my property to give some pointer just that i would pass it by yall. I'm using this land strictly for deer hunting, and this is the only place i can hunt and don't want to burn it due to i heard it will kill the hardwoods. I'm looking to pull in more does, in the process if i kill a few good bucks great. More in it for the hunt and the meat. Any ideas would be great. Thanks for all your help.
Attachments
CDY_0007.JPG
CDY_0007.JPG (103.33 KiB) Viewed 699 times
DSC00010.JPG
DSC00010.JPG (155.66 KiB) Viewed 699 times
DSC00006.JPG
DSC00006.JPG (149.85 KiB) Viewed 697 times
Do you have a 740 Credit Score? If not, your losing money!!
visit my website and get the score you deserve!!
http://www.bestcreditrehab.com

Do it right or not at all!!!
tblue
button buck

Re: Help with my Land!!!

Postby lugnut » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:23 am

welcome to the site

first off i would say that you have a perfect start for deer. on most pieces of land thickets are the hardest thing to get because you can't create your own very well. i would work with what you have, bushhog and clear a few small areas for food plots and keep them planted year round.

next you could clear another section and plant pines and persimon trees.

sit down with an areial picture of the land and draw out how you want it to look and so that the deer can move around with lots of cover but still be accessable to hunt.

i sure wish i had a setup like you got. i may take some more money and time but you can get that place to be a deer magnet if you plan it out right
lugnut
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:47 am

Welcome to the site !!

Ditto to what lugnut says.. Thickets (w/good browse) are what would attract the deer.. Give them a "safe-haven" so to speak..

I wouldn't want to clear too much, I'd leave it thick.. About the only thing I would want would to have a few openings for food plots, which looks like you do, and maybe rent a dozer & open up some long shooting lanes..

Good luck, & let us know what the biologist says..
gtk
Admin

Postby mikybigbuck » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:29 am

gtk wrote:Welcome to the site !!

Ditto to what lugnut says.. Thickets (w/good browse) are what would attract the deer.. Give them a "safe-haven" so to speak..

I wouldn't want to clear too much, I'd leave it thick.. About the only thing I would want would to have a few openings for food plots, which looks like you do, and maybe rent a dozer & open up some long shooting lanes..

Good luck, & let us know what the biologist says..

ditto here...i hunted a place a few years back, that was 240 acres and nothing but 8 ft tall pines...we found the only openings we could on the whole place(approximately 10 acres) we limed, planted them with wheat and white clover, and double fertilized them...there were 7 tripod stand locations on these so-called "killing fields"...between 3 of us, we rotated hunting these stands, and killed 8 bucks that year....the biggest being an eleven, that scored in the 120's...i regret to say, i wasn't fortunate enough to take him..
build you three or four of these,as long and narrow as possible, and do some gardening....you'll be surprised at the results you get..
Looking for Mr Big
mikybigbuck
Non-Typical

Re: Help with my Land!!! How many persimmon trees?

Postby tblue » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:45 pm

Thanks for all the info!!!! here is a drawing of my place, to the north is 15-20 year old pine plant., cow pasture the east, with large oaks in the fields, south 2 year select cut with most large oaks left and some pines.(he runs dogs) and west 10 acres just like mine and 30 arce pines 10-15 year. and Leatherwood Creek runs thru my land and No one really hunts around me, i here shots but they are pretty far, except the guy behind me that runs dogs. other than that i would have to say at least 100 acres around me no one really hunts and no food plots. I have 5 food plots all on the edges of my property with the largest are 2 plots that .5 acres and the rest are smaller. all my plots are real close to the 7.0 on the soil test if not on the money. i have been planting all Mossy oak biologic, with the Brassica, last week after they snow they murder it, nothing but stubs left. Im going to try the double cross ( clover and Brassicas mixed) this year. How many persimmon trees would you plant?One on each food plot. I researched and it im going with the Japanese Persimmon tree's due to they are not male and female and hopeful i can purchase at least for this coming year and it will bear fruit in Oct. so keep the great idea's coming. Thanks again!!! Hope will have some more pics of deer that will be in the freezer after this weekend!!!
new2.JPG
new2.JPG (64.27 KiB) Viewed 620 times

tblue
button buck

Postby saddaddykiller » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:52 pm

all i can say is...the thicker the better, end of sentence, ive done my job here. you can thank me later.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Re: Help with my Land!!! How many persimmon trees?

Postby RT8 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:47 pm

tblue wrote:Thanks for all the info!!!! here is a drawing of my place, to the north is 15-20 year old pine plant., cow pasture the east, with large oaks in the fields, south 2 year select cut with most large oaks left and some pines.(he runs dogs) and west 10 acres just like mine and 30 arce pines 10-15 year. and Leatherwood Creek runs thru my land and No one really hunts around me, i here shots but they are pretty far, except the guy behind me that runs dogs. other than that i would have to say at least 100 acres around me no one really hunts and no food plots. I have 5 food plots all on the edges of my property with the largest are 2 plots that .5 acres and the rest are smaller. all my plots are real close to the 7.0 on the soil test if not on the money. i have been planting all Mossy oak biologic, with the Brassica, last week after they snow they murder it, nothing but stubs left. Im going to try the double cross ( clover and Brassicas mixed) this year. How many persimmon trees would you plant?One on each food plot. I researched and it im going with the Japanese Persimmon tree's due to they are not male and female and hopeful i can purchase at least for this coming year and it will bear fruit in Oct. so keep the great idea's coming. Thanks again!!! Hope will have some more pics of deer that will be in the freezer after this weekend!!!
new2.JPG

Which part of that is YOURS? The writing is way too small to read.
Priapism, its not for quitters.
RT8
8 Point

Postby tblue » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:24 pm

Sorry about that, The original file was to large and had to shrink it. But you see the section with the blue line(Leatherwood Creek) run thru the property that has no red paint on it, that one is mine. its the odd shape. Upside down triangle and the bottom looks like a l_l and has some small colored squares and circles. the green area is food plots with stands. Thanks again!!!

tblue
button buck

Return to Wildlife Habitat