• Advertisement

How many Persimmon Trees?

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

How many Persimmon Trees?

Postby tblue » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:06 pm

If you were to plant your own persimmon trees how many would you put on your property and where and why? I think i`am going to plant mine about 50 yard from my food plots in the woods, where i would mainly bow hunt. to try an create a staging area. and plant them close to the center of my property to draw more deer to my property. my other idea is to put one on every food plot, but i think that may be too many might thru in some crab apple trees. what do ya think? here is a link Wildlife Japanese Persimmon Trees http://www.tytyga.com/product/Wildlife+Persimmon+Tree does anyone know if you can get them local?
Do you have a 740 Credit Score? If not, your losing money!!
visit my website and get the score you deserve!!
http://www.bestcreditrehab.com

Do it right or not at all!!!
tblue
button buck

Re: How many Persimmon Trees?

Postby mikybigbuck » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:59 pm

persimmons are good to have, but they are primarily an early season food source...i would plant them right next to foodplots to have a double whammy during bow season...if i were planting for staging, i would go with oaks that produce at an early age, and plant them on the edges of bedding thickets...just a thought...i'm no expert...good luck though.. ;)
Looking for Mr Big
mikybigbuck
Non-Typical

Postby lugnut » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:02 pm

i would put them in an open area near a thicket or on the north end of a food plot so they get plenty of sun
lugnut
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:20 pm

killed my first deer with a bow this year under a persimmon tree :)
gtk
Admin

Postby iveygun3 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:24 am

one thing to know about persimmon trees are they have gender. male and female trees. I can't tell difference, but was shown some years back by a fellow wanting to plant for deer and he had nice trees with no fruit and came to find out they was only a single gender in each specific area. "blew my mind" his new theory in planting was to plant multiple trees in one area to cover the problem. All this may be BS, but i have seen trees that don't bear fruit beside bearing ones. Do some research on your own before wasting time planting single trees.
"I am a Glock-O-Holic no intervention needed." Iveygun3
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Thomas Jefferson
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby tblue » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:33 pm

Just wanted to let you know i did some research and the link on my first post, brings you to a Japaneses Persimmon tree that is self pollinating. You can actually buy one and have a crop for next year. I even called and talk with the people on the phone very nice people. Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and clear a complete circle in the thicket and plant tree in the middle of a 40 yard circle with clover planted. thanks for the help and ideas.
Do you have a 740 Credit Score? If not, your losing money!!
visit my website and get the score you deserve!!
http://www.bestcreditrehab.com

Do it right or not at all!!!
tblue
button buck

Postby gibowhunter » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:33 pm

The Japanese Persimmons are the ones with fruit generally about the size of a baseball, usually they are grafted onto American Persimmon rootstock, most of the trees don't get very tall, usually around 10-20 feet, the persimmons usually hold on to the branches for a long time, the deer love them but you don't typically see a "drop in a couple of weeks time" yes the deer will pick off the ones they can reach. These trees are generally more costly as well but should almost always produce fruit. The American persimmon is the one you see in the wild, they are slow growing and can grow in full woods but do best in full sunlight, they typically drop fruit from about mid Sep up until around Nov. My best advice would be to plant in open areas near other food souces, on the North or West side of a food plot would be good, but think ahead and think about future stand locations with wind in mind when planting. Also don't put all your eggs in one basket, you may want to plant one or two Jap persimmons, 3-5 American, and maybe a few crabapple or pear trees and a couple of Sawtooth trees within bow range all on the edge of the plot, a spot they may want to linger at on the way to the plot, these would all give you an early bowseason area for attracting deer to one spot.
I talked to a person the other day and they were bragging about planting 500 sawtooths scattered all over his property, I said what are you going to hunt for bowseason, and he said "Sawtooths" and I said how are you going to pattern the deer, and he looked at me like I was crazy. I guess he will know what I meant in about 10 years. ;) If you have a Huge food source like a large field, you may want to create or use a small opening near the bedding source on the way to the field and plant several trees and a hidey hole plot, a place the deer will feel safer and hopefully congregate on the way to the larger field.
gibowhunter
button buck

Postby walter man » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:27 pm

Persimmon trees are great for deer but like everyone has said they are either male or female and can actually change gender from year to year. They are also slow growing so keep that in mind as well as they require a good bit of sun. I looked at planting persimmons but decided to plant deer pears in the open areas of my land and some honeylocust trees in a moist bottom. The deer pears are basically a wild pear about the size of a golf ball and will hold fruit into November and the tree is relatively fast growing and draught and disease tolerant. Check out deerpear.com
No man should enjoy the blessings of freedom unless he is vigilant in its preservation!
walter man
button buck

Return to Wildlife Habitat