• Advertisement

Bigger Bucks in Mississippi

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Bigger Bucks in Mississippi

Postby gtk » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:07 pm

I was reading this months Progressive Farmer, specifically an article about the increased corn & soybean production in the State of MS & LA.. More & more farmers are either reducing cotton production, or just completely eliminating it from their farms.

You know this has got to be one of the reasons that MS is producing bigger bucks over the last few years. Agree?
gtk
Admin

Re: Bigger Bucks in Mississippi

Postby dustygoodson » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:48 pm

Agree 100%
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby brewer03 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:02 pm

gtk it sure stand to reason
Triple Threat 2015- 2016

Serious Six 2014-2015

Rajun Sardis Bucks
2013-2014 deer hunting champs

life is great the oppurtunity to hunt and fish make it even better
brewer03
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:53 pm

i agree 100%
Deer sure do seem to love those soybeans. But I have had them pass on standing corn in favor of something more tender... :o
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:11 pm

where are these big bucks in ms? must be up north
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby BIGERN76 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:18 pm

There was 1 in Clay Co. but he was killed this year. :bash:
Remington 700/CDL 30-06
2009 Diamond Black Ice
Bear Grizzly

QSMA Pro Staff
BIGERN76
Pope&Young

Postby dustygoodson » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:28 pm

wish i had a place to plant some soybeans i mean a big field that i could hunt over
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby STILLHUNTER » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:45 pm

yea they LOVE them soy beams BIG TIME!!!!
STILLHUNTER
dudesittinginatree

Postby mt » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:05 pm

Maybe if they would plant more corn there would be more biguns like the mid-west grows and we could do away with feeding. :D
mt
10 Point

Postby dustygoodson » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:32 pm

tell Obama that :lol:
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby ufgators68 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:24 am

Soybeans, corn and wheat are the only things that are planted around our hunting spots. And that's all that has been planted around here for quite some time so I can't really tell ya if the bucks are getting bigger or not.
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby iveygun3 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:37 pm

feed-um and they will come. if they have plenty of food they will grow, just go check out any buffet. you don't see little-ole skinny people do you :shock:
"I am a Glock-O-Holic no intervention needed." Iveygun3
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Thomas Jefferson
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby BIGERN76 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:42 pm

iveygun3 wrote:feed-um and they will come. if they have plenty of food they will grow, just go check out any buffet. you don't see little-ole skinny people do you :shock:

HEY! I resemble that remark... :oops:
Remington 700/CDL 30-06
2009 Diamond Black Ice
Bear Grizzly

QSMA Pro Staff
BIGERN76
Pope&Young

Postby WGbuckfever » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:52 pm

The old man that owned the land where my old hunting club was at use to plant soy beans but stopped because the deer were eating the crops up. The last two years he planted he was unable to harvest his crops. To many deer and not enough hunters.
WGbuckfever
Boone&Crockett

Postby brewer03 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:36 am

We are going to plant soy beans and clay iron peas in our summer plots this year
Triple Threat 2015- 2016

Serious Six 2014-2015

Rajun Sardis Bucks

brewer03
Pope&Young

Postby iveygun3 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:10 am

buy enough seed to plant atleast 3 times b/c they are going to mow it down as soon as the blooms hit.
"I am a Glock-O-Holic no intervention needed." Iveygun3
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Thomas Jefferson
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby ajlineman » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:22 pm

i agree
born and raised hunting
ajlineman
10 Point

Postby brewer03 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:19 am

I plant clay peas last year 3 to 4 times but it sure is fun to go to my lease to check on em and they be 2 ft tall one day and gone the next :ylsuper:
Triple Threat 2015- 2016

Serious Six 2014-2015

Rajun Sardis Bucks

brewer03
Pope&Young

Postby rjenkins1981 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:29 pm

i think it is one factor. also hunters are evolving and letting younger deer pass another year. but definitely a factor gtk.
rjenkins1981
6 Point

Postby gibowhunter » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:39 pm

The number one limiting factor to growing bigger bucks in MS is AGE!!!! Most deer hit their peak potential at around 6 years old. At age 3 they are only about 70% of what they will ever become, probably 80 percent of bucks in MS never make it over 3 years old. At age 4 they are typically about 80 percent, at age 5 they are usually about 90 percent. Not every 6 year old will be a HUGE buck, but most places in MS have good genetics.
The number two limiting factor in MS if Nutrition, it takes good food ALL year long, with the main food being in the December to May time frame when does are pregnant and bucks are preparing to grow antlers, if these deer head into these periods in good shape and little stress they will produce good healthy fawns and bucks will be able to maximize antler growth.
Soybeans are great for the deer, but really are planted too late to do a whole lot for that years antler growth, corn is definitely too late, but both can help the deer go into the following year in good shape. Clover is probably your best food for the deer as it gives plenty of high protein feed when they need it most, when there is very little food available otherwise.
Most people would think cotton isn't good for deer, but deer like to eat the shoots, and will eat the seeds, the seeds are high in protein (Many animal feeds are made from cotton seed meal) Also there is usually a good deal of highly fertilized green growth in the cotton fields after the cotton is picked.
Yes there are lots of big deer in the midwest, and corn and beans plays a part, but they also have lower deer densities and many states have limited gun or low bag limits so many bucks make it to a higher age structure where antler potential can be seen.
gibowhunter
button buck

Postby conservative » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:36 am

gibowhunter wrote:The number one limiting factor to growing bigger bucks in MS is AGE!!!! Most deer hit their peak potential at around 6 years old. At age 3 they are only about 70% of what they will ever become, probably 80 percent of bucks in MS never make it over 3 years old. At age 4 they are typically about 80 percent, at age 5 they are usually about 90 percent. Not every 6 year old will be a HUGE buck, but most places in MS have good genetics.

Dittos! I think the average deer hunter's attitude of letting smaller bucks walk in favor of shooting something that is NOT a 1.5 year old has made a very big difference in especially the antler sizes that we are beginning to see in all areas of the state. I will graciously give the MDWFP credit for some of that even with the good intentioned but poorly thought out four point rule. I think at least this was a foundation to build upon and probably changed the mindset of a number of deer hunters. I would think most deer hunters including me can't look at a buck and positively identify it as a 2.5 year old or a 3.5 year old. On the other hand I believe most experienced deer hunters can look at a buck and identify it for sure as yearling buck (1.5 year old) 90% of the time. I also believe those same deer hunters can look at a buck and identify it for sure as AT LEAST a 3.5 year old. As we all know too, if that buck survives his first year with antlers he gets increasingly difficult to kill or even see with each successive year that he lives. The natural browse, to me is the driving force in the nutrition part. If you don't have adequate natural browse in an area I don't care how much corn / soybeans / peas or even clover is planted, deer antler and body potential will be obviously less than if the browse was there. I plant all of that on my family's farm. Is it really making a noticeable difference in the deer's health? Probably not too much if any. Certainly not enough to justify the expense in involved. I still do it because it's my sole hobby and I thoroughly enjoy it. I hope I just echoed the excellent points that gibowhunter made.
conservative
button buck

Postby gtk » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:26 am

So true. Age is the #1 reason we don't have bigger bucks than we do. Although, we do put out some awesome deer every year !

Because of the soil types, I think it will be rare for some parts of the state to consistently produce more than a few really huge typical racks, even if the age structure was there. We need to realize that a trophy means different things from different areas of the state.

The only thing about letting them get old though, is they get awfully hard to kill when they get that much age on them :lol:
gtk
Admin

Postby FC » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:18 am

they get awfully hard to kill when they get that much age on them

But they sure are fun to chase after and once you finally do kill him, the only thing you can think about is finding another ! ;)
FC
Boone&Crockett

Return to Wildlife Habitat