• Advertisement

What do you think about QDM on small tract hunting lease?

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

What do you think about QDM on small tract hunting lease?

Postby cook » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:22 pm

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on QDM on tracts of 400 acers or less. Are they any point or should you start somewhere. Does an 8 point rule sound out of line ? Thanks for ANY input you may have.
cook
button buck

Postby gtk » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:42 pm

cook, how'd you stumble over here from hags ? :) You havent gotten lost have you ? :P

I believe the only way you can accomplish ANY kind of QDM or anyother managment on 400 acres, is if you get all fairly close neighbors that allow hunting on their land, involved and agreeing with you.

I'm kinda in the same boat.. I dont own but 400 or 500 acres, but I let small bucks pass year after year.. They way I look at it, if one or two out of the many small bucks makes it, then it was worth it... Just maybe he will come back around the followign year...
gtk
Admin

Postby cook » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:17 pm

I dont own but 400 or 500 acres
:roll:

"WE" lease and only have 400 acers. Someone has to own the land i guess, wish i could afford to buy it.
cook
button buck

Postby gtk » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:33 am

Let me rephrase that :lol: The land my brother, dad, cousin, and I inherited :P

I wish I could afford it too. Ever heard the term "cash poor" :wink: ... I just thank my gg-grandparents for paying the land off a long time ago, and not having but one child out of 4, who had any kids. Both my great-aunts didnt have children, and my great-uncle didnt.. that just left my dads father as the only sibling who had kids..
gtk
Admin

Postby cook » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:34 pm

yeah, its pretty easy to see where the money is. :D (gg grand parents, thats OLD money) :wink:
cook
button buck

Postby nobucks » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:34 pm

We have only 650 ac of land here at home and we are trying to manage it.The other lands around us are doing the same.I fill doing anything is better then doing nothing at all.We go with 6 point or better.I would like to see us doing 8 and 15in inside but not all will go for that. :)
nobucks
12 Point

Postby iveygun3 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:12 pm

IMO you can manage your own and try to turn the bulb on in neighboring tracts as to good management practices, but bottom line is you must start somewhere and never quit. I may pass all the 1 1-2 yr old for them to just step over the fence to be killed, but atleast i'm trying. Deer aren't dumb and they will know where the safe areas are in only a short time. It just like deer becoming nocturnal, if they aren't harrassed a lot then they we not be nocturnal. best advice is start now and never look back do your own thing and your neighbors will say " why don't I have deer like that on my place ?" your reply will be " I told you management is key"
my .02 worth :idea:
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby omegaman66 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:55 pm

Years ago virtually nobody except a few high dollar places manage. Back then it got to where a few more clubs started managing but the phrase "if I don't shoot them my neighbor will" was the most frequently heard phrase in the south. That slowly began to change and more an more people had neighbors that were managing, so more and more jumped on the bandwagon.

Point being, go ahead and take away a reason for your neighbor to NOT MANAGE. People go through a progression and the tendency is to want to not slaughter those little bucks after you have a few under your belt. So not shooting little bucks just might let them get the feeling that the little ones aren't much of a challenge if they have the opportunity each year to take numerous little ones and a big one or two.
omegaman66
button buck

Postby Rajun cajun » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:09 pm

I wish I had 400 acres.........I would manage it!

I would allow one thick area as a safe haven.

I would not shoot a point restriction, I would have a 14 inch inside width....or 15 inches of main beam on one side.

That eliminates CULL bucks from developing.

I would plant Iron clay peas for late summer and fall.

I would plant all open areas.

I would have clover blends and other high nutrition plots on my property.

I would throw corn and ground soybeans all year long.

that way you get your deer to stay on your property as much as possible,

You will also pull deer from neighbors too.

With the rack type management of width or main beams, you are making sure you have a constant progression of age class for your bucks.

You can have a much higher doe/buck ratio if you have the proper amount of food sources fo rthe so the land will carry them.

More does equals more bucks being born.

Once you get five years of age class going on your bucks, then you can thin down the does some to a better ratio of say 3:1.
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Habitat