• Advertisement

Website for Protien Content?

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Website for Protien Content?

Postby mshunter » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:51 pm

Anyone know of a website for protien contents for Wheat, Abruzzi Rye, Seed Oats ,Canola Rape and Purple Top Turnips ? Would really like to get this info on these but having no luck in my search's.Thanks,.......Ed
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby mshunter » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:04 pm

Found the info guys, Thanks....Ed
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby gtk » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:29 am

did you find the info on the web ?
gtk
Admin

Postby mshunter » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:41 am

gtk,

Yes but not all on same site had to do a search on each one and then search thru till I found it.

Thanks,....Ed
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby mshunter » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:27 am

Southern Wildlife Management Systems . Will get website posted later....Ed
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby mshunter » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:58 am

Southern Wildlife :

Wrens Abruzzi Rye - Early season forage producer and the most palatable of all ryes. Withstands heavy browsing, winter hardy, and very nutritious (14 to 16% protein), depending on soils & fertility. Excellent livestock forage producing 2,500 plus lbs. of forage per acre from Sept. to Feb., depending on soils. (Plant 50 lbs./acre and fertilize 300 lbs. of 13-13-13 with a pH of 6-7.)

Feed Forage Oats - Highly palatable and nutritious forage producer that is an excellent protein source (14 to 18%). Winter hardy and withstands heavy foraging. Excellent livestock forage producing 2,000 plus lbs. for forage per acre form Sept. to Jan., depending on soil. (Plant 50 lbs./acre and fertilize 300 lbs. of 13-13-13 with a pH of 6-7.).

Feed Forage Wheat - Early season forage producer that is highly palatable & nutritious, winter hardy, and withstands heavy browsing. (14 to 16% protein)
Excellent livestock forage producing 1,000 plus lbs. of forage per acre from Sept. to Feb., depending on soils. (Plant 50 lbs./acre and fertilize 300 lbs. of 13-13-13 with a pH of 6-7.)

Canola & Dwarf Essex Rape - Early forage producer that is an excellent source of protein (30% plus). Highly palatable and digestible. Withstands a heavy amount of browsing and is excellent for use in blends of wheat, oats, and ryes. Has a seeding rate of 8-10 lbs. per acre. (Fertilize 300 lbs. of 5-10-15 with a pH of 6.)

PS: Found out last week from the Local Biologist that these protien figures were for optimum soil at best case conditions for our area( Duck Hill) it is more like 7%-10%.....Ed

:D .......Ed
Last edited by mshunter on Fri May 26, 2006 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby ufgators68 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:52 am

mshunter wrote:Southern Wildlife Seed & Management:

Wrens Abruzzi Rye

That is one thing we can't plant on our hunting land. My father in law hates rye grass with a passion. He says when it spreads into his bean and corn fields that it takes forever to get rid of it. We're kind of limited on the things we can plant because of that. He doesn't want anything that'll damage his crops planted there.
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby mshunter » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:19 am

Wrens Abbruzzi Rye is not Rye Grass. Marshall Or Gulf is Rye Grass . It is a Wheat and Oat type plant.........Ed
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby ufgators68 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:00 am

My bad. :oops: :oops: :oops: I saw the word Rye and didn't read much farther. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby mshunter » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:46 pm

Reb;

No problem :) . Lot of folks think the same thing . I started planting Abruzzi in Alabama in the 1980's we mixed it at that time with Gulf Ryegrass. Found out in later years it was far better mixed with Oats and turnips/rape. We would plant 2 bushels Abruzzi with 1 bushel oats and 10 lbs turnips or Rape to acre with 300 - 400 lbs of 13-13-13 after liming where necessary. Worked great and made plenty of forage thru the tough months..Deer would eat oats early and then pick Rye and turnips up when it really got cold and oats stunted back some.. :wink: ..Ed
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby ufgators68 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:27 pm

Just out of curiousity, how much does that cost you an acre to plant? We're looking at sprucing up our food plots with more than just clover. We have soybeans and corn in the fields during the summer but really nothing but what's left on the ground after harvest for the winter time.

We've got some old covered cattle feed troughs that we're going to start putting high protein feed in all year long. Hopefully, we won't have any problems with the wardens. The troughs will be quite a ways from any deer stand.
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby mshunter » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:12 am

Abruzzi Rye is about $11 bushel and Oats $6 bushel. Rape and Turnips about $2 pound takes about $50 acre max plus fertilizer and lime. We actually seed heavier than recommended......Ed
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby nobucks » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:42 am

Thats a good combo there Ed.I think I might try that on our place.I always like to put the see on a little heavy too. :wink:
nobucks
12 Point

Postby ufgators68 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:08 am

mshunter wrote:Abruzzi Rye is about $11 bushel and Oats $6 bushel. Rape and Turnips about $2 pound takes about $50 acre max plus fertilizer and lime. We actually seed heavier than recommended......Ed

Doesn't sound too bad. I may give it a shot and see what happens.
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Return to Wildlife Habitat