• Advertisement

Corn & Spikes ?????

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Corn & Spikes ?????

Postby mshunter » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:51 am

I am hearing all kinda rumors that Corn is on it's way to be legal next year and that we are going to shoot spikes and let 4pt's walk. Any truth to these rumors???.... :?: :? :?: .....ed
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby BIG COUNTRY » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:20 am

I KNOW HUNTING OVER BAIT HAS A CHANCE OF BECOMMING LEGAL NEXT YEAR, BUT I HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT SHOOTING SPIKES. I WOULD BE AGIANST THAT FOR SURE.
BIG COUNTRY
6 Point

Postby nobucks » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:41 pm

Im hearing the same thing here about the baiting law.
nobucks
12 Point

Postby gtk » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:05 pm

they keep trying every year, and will continue to push it, until it becomes legal.

i honestly dont see how batiting will make a difference in hunting, unless maybe the deer herd is very, very, over populated and hungry.

i've tried baiting on my place to get deer to come to my trail cameras. a few months and a few hundred pounds of corn later, I had nothing to show for it but birds, squirells, coons, and one nosey doe that didnt even eat the corn.
gtk
Admin

Postby jbullard1 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:02 pm

Anyone ever tried sweet taters :?: havent put any out where I been huntin but I put some out across road from my house and they come in very often
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby iveygun3 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:47 pm

word on sweet taters is good or so i hear. on the corn matter though they will keep beaten that horse until it finally gives up and passes. Me though won't be filling any feeders soon, I like daylight deer and big fat Biologic feed deer. My yard feeder only gets coons and birds while deer are nomore than 20yds away eating the protein stuff. deer ain't dumb :lol:
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby jbullard1 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:51 am

One thing I am going to try this summer is planting a food plot and calling it a garden :wink: This past summer the deer walked through mature corn to almost completly destroy my late crop of purplehull peas and greens Ran bushog over some of the corn deer kept eating peas but had a nice dove shoot opening weekend :roll:
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby mshunter » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:09 am

When I hunted in North Carolina (baiting is legal there). We would go and buy cull sweet potatoes during & after season about 8 tons of them at a time and put big piles all over our property . The deer would tear them up after they soften up some from the frost. Bear would eat them also. Sweet potatoes were very high in protien unlike corn aand really seemed to help our deer thru winter. We also planted alot of food plots which most clubs didn't, for hunting and to give the deer the 70% daily forage they needed in their diet after season......Ed
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby Brian M » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:01 pm

Personally, I hope neither one of them pass.
Brian M
button buck

Postby razrback » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:33 am

Well they are running a pilot program for the upcoming season. You will be able to bait and hunt under bait in four counties I can't remember which four exactly but the are grouped together, I believe that Neshoba county is one of them. As far as the spike issue goes, I haven't heard anything on it, but Noxubee Refuge is doing a program where they are encouraging the taking of spikes and passing of 1-2 year old 4 to 6 points. I guess we will find out if that helps after a few years. If you start hearing about big bucks being taken from there I guess it was a good thing. If not I guess they failed.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."
- Ted Nugent
razrback
6 Point

Postby BeelzeBubba » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:51 pm

I scatter corn behind my office but do not plan to hunt back there. My understanding is that bait piles are dangerous to the deer and turkeys because they do not have the bathroom manors humans have. Deseases are passed from from one to another through their droppings(this is especially true of turkeys). If you want to feed deer, broadcast the feed over a large area to lessen this. There may be no truth to this but it does make sense to me.
Our state has some pretty basic laws that foster skill and ethics and also provide a stable habitat for years to come. Lets be leary of changing laws that have allowed the wildlife population to grow so much in the last few decades.
Just my opinion...
BeelzeBubba
button buck

sweet tators

Postby Part Time Hunter » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:53 am

I have not tried sweet potatoes, I have heard they are good, looks like I might plant me a sweet tator tree in the spring.
help preserve our national blast time.
Part Time Hunter
Non-Typical

Postby Rajun cajun » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:59 pm

Well I have hunted Illinois around the corn feilds there........and it does help.

What I found down here in LA is that folks throw corn during season then forget about it.

Throw all year long, deer really need the extra fat and protien in the early spring when does are pregnant and new growth has yet to spring up.

Want to increase the protien...here is a secret......

Deer wont eat soy beans till they get wet and soften up good.

BUT.......find someone with a grist meal that grinds corn meal......buy your beans and have them ground into a meal........deer will fight to get it and it is ultra high in protein.

You can mix it in with corn in the feeders.

May want to try and throw wheat out of a feeder. Outfitter in ontario has a guy walk in to every stand they have up, every day, and dump a 30 pound bag of wheat on the ground.

I saw deer come in and work it over.

They do this year round to help keep the deer healthy and get good racks.
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Re:

Postby Tom Talker » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:24 pm

BeelzeBubba wrote:I scatter corn behind my office but do not plan to hunt back there. My understanding is that bait piles are dangerous to the deer and turkeys because they do not have the bathroom manors humans have. Deseases are passed from from one to another through their droppings(this is especially true of turkeys). If you want to feed deer, broadcast the feed over a large area to lessen this. There may be no truth to this but it does make sense to me.
Our state has some pretty basic laws that foster skill and ethics and also provide a stable habitat for years to come. Lets be leary of changing laws that have allowed the wildlife population to grow so much in the last few decades.
Just my opinion...

I have an old army buddy that has a cattle ranch in OK. I'm headed there this spring to turkey hunt (1) cause I've never taken a Rio and (2) he has a real problem with them leaving droppings in and around his feeders. I can't pronounce the disease they contract from the droppings, let alone spell it. I figure if cattle can contract it, so can deer.

Like Brian, I hope niether change is made.
Dress'em where you shoot'em!
Tom Talker
Spike

Re: Corn & Spikes ?????

Postby Tom Talker » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:22 pm

Found this article while looking around. It's from 2001, but I'm guessing the numbers haven't changed much.

http://www.mdwfp.com/wildlifeissues/art ... article=54
Dress'em where you shoot'em!
Tom Talker
Spike

Return to Wildlife Habitat