• Advertisement

Di-Cal

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Di-Cal

Postby slabhappy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:28 pm

I live in Olive Branch and am looking for the closest place to but it, any suggestions???
slabhappy
button buck

Re: Di-Cal

Postby reesguide » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:37 pm

All i know is to tell you to call around, a guy on the bull forum said that collierville tn was the cheapest. I recently call a bunch of places around coffeeville, ms and got a wide range of prices, anywhere fron 16 to 35 a bag so deffinately shop it. Not much help, sorry.
"Team Tenth Legion"

RIP my freind, this seasons for you!!
reesguide
Boone&Crockett

Postby gibowhunter » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:30 pm

Definitely agree with calling around, its amazing the price differences on dical, feed, and fertilizer from one location to the next.
gibowhunter
button buck

Postby slabhappy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:17 pm

Thanks guys I will post what I find and where, when calling around, should I just ask for Di-cal, is there a particular form of it to ask for?
slabhappy
button buck

Postby reesguide » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:50 am

Di-calciumphosphate, they know what your talkin about. (cant spel gud :roll: )
"Team Tenth Legion"

RIP my freind, this seasons for you!!
reesguide
Boone&Crockett

Postby slabhappy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:47 pm

Well the coop in collierville was $35 a bag and it is not in stock they have to order..
Desoto Coop in Hernando was $19 a bag and it was in stock. :ylsuper:
slabhappy
button buck

Postby merlebo02 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:17 pm

what is Di-Cal and what is it used for??
merlebo02
Spike

Postby FC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:19 pm

merlebo02 wrote:what is Di-Cal and what is it used for??

Calicum supplement used in mineral licks (salt licks) to aid in the growing of bone
FC
Boone&Crockett

Postby merlebo02 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:30 pm

so is this a mineral block or a substance that you add to a mineral block??
merlebo02
Spike

Postby mshunter » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:47 am

Benton County Coop has it for $17 for 50 lb bag but needs to be used as part of a mix with trace mineral salt, white salt and either Koolaid or brown sugar becasue Di-Cal itself is very bitter to the taste .It is good for bucks bone growth and for lactating does....ed
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby merlebo02 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:10 pm

Thanks, I will check into it and maybe put some out myself!!!
merlebo02
Spike

Postby gibowhunter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:46 am

MShunter is right, it is very bitter and needs to be added to trace mineral or just plain stock (white salt), if you don't want to fool with mixing, you may just want to try asking for a Free choice mineral, it is trace mineral salt with Dical already added, make sure you check the label and it is added, the best version would not necessarily be Di-Cal, which would be a 1 to 1 ratio of Calcium and Phosphorous, but would be a 2 to 1 ratio that also contains Magnesium, some copper, and other trace minerals. You may want to start these licks with stock salt or trace mineral mix and then gradually add in Free choice mineral or salt/dical mix to gradually get them started if they have never had salt licks before.
gibowhunter
button buck

Postby j-bo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:51 am

It's a waste, really.

Just use a plain ol salt block from your local Tractor Supply for $5. If you really think some minerals are going to help, use the trace mineral block for $7.
j-bo
4 Point

Postby FC » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:02 am

j-bo wrote:It's a waste, really.

Just use a plain ol salt block from your local Tractor Supply for $5. If you really think some minerals are going to help, use the trace mineral block for $7.

I haven't looked into or kept up with or know of any study that proves or disproves any benefits. Do you know of any or are you just expressing your opinion ?

If so based on what evidence ?

Anyone expecting instant results will be disappointed however ...
FC
Boone&Crockett

Postby j-bo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:20 am

Sure, but besides the scientific studies, my main point about the whole thing is this. Why spend more than you have to? If people think it does something better for their deer, that's fine too, they can surely use what they want to.

Here is the link to a great article on the subject by Brian at QDMA: Minerals by Brian Murphy

Excerpt:

A classic study on the mineral needs of deer was conducted at Penn State University in the 1950s (French et al. 1956). In this study, researchers did detect a difference in yearling buck antler development between supplemented and unsupplemented groups. However, these herds were fed a nutritionally deficient diet below what most whitetails would have access to in the wild.

Furthermore, when the same deer were examined the following year as 2.5–year–olds, no differences were detected between the two groups.

In a similar study conducted at Auburn University (Causey 1993), researchers tried to detect differences in body and antler size between an unsupplemented and supplemented group. The difference in this study and the Penn State study was that both herds were fed a nutritionally complete diet. In addition, one group was provided a commercial mineral supplement. Over a 4–year period the researchers were unable to detect any differences between the two deer herds.

A Louisiana study (Schultz and Johnson 1991) compared supplemented and unsupplementedwild herds in similar habitats. Although problems always arise when studying wild populations, they were unable to show any differences in body size or antler development using mineral supplementation.
j-bo
4 Point

Postby FireCloud » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:24 pm

gibowhunter wrote:MShunter is right, it is very bitter and needs to be added to trace mineral or just plain stock (white salt), if you don't want to fool with mixing, you may just want to try asking for a Free choice mineral, it is trace mineral salt with Dical already added, make sure you check the label and it is added, the best version would not necessarily be Di-Cal, which would be a 1 to 1 ratio of Calcium and Phosphorous, but would be a 2 to 1 ratio that also contains Magnesium, some copper, and other trace minerals. You may want to start these licks with stock salt or trace mineral mix and then gradually add in Free choice mineral or salt/dical mix to gradually get them started if they have never had salt licks before.

Deer do need minerals that are missing from most soils. I totally agree with Gibowhunter's post as it mirrors the research done by MSU and others. Here is a link to an article that summarizes all you need to know regarding providing a mineral lick.

http://www.southernheritageland.com/files/pdfs/Wildlife%20Management/Salt.pdf
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby j-bo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:21 am

FireCloud wrote:Deer do need minerals that are missing from most soils. I totally agree with Gibowhunter's post as it mirrors the research done by MSU and others. Here is a link to an article that summarizes all you need to know regarding providing a mineral lick.

http://www.southernheritageland.com/files/pdfs/Wildlife%20Management/Salt.pdf

Whenever someone mentions "some", "may", "scientists", and then pops in a name brand product without giving any references is what I call an opinion piece.

There is no doubt that deer needs minerals, which that's what salt is, a mineral.

Not here to argue either way as I'm no biologist or scientist, just an avg. joe bowhunter. :D To each their own, just sharing info.

Salt/trace minerals, etc. in my opinion are needed for the overall health of the deer. Claims that they will make your deer bigger and grow bigger antlers? Not so much.

4 more months till season! Good huntin to ya.
j-bo
4 Point

Postby gtk » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:39 am

I've always noticed lactating does seem to use my licks more than anything else.
gtk
Admin

Postby FireCloud » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:05 pm

gtk wrote:I've always noticed lactating does seem to use my licks more than anything else.

Deer seem to be selective browsers and apparently do seek out what they need. A doe with unborn or newborns is going to give her babies the best shot she can at being healthy. Stands to reason that does using a mineral lick are there because they want to enrich the nurishment provided to their offspring. And of course they are not using a lick to grow a bigger rack. But antlers and internal bones are the same thing genetically so if minerals are useful for strong bone growth in fawns those same minerals probably help antler growth.

Yes, opinions differ on this topic because the scientific data is inconsistent. Better research may one day establish a threashold level of needed minerals (and vitamins) for best deer health but at this time it remains an unsettled issue.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Habitat