• Advertisement

Lick ???

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Lick ???

Postby slabhappy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:55 pm

I am new to creating salt licks and the like, so I thought I would try it out this year (since I got my first trail cam) for x-mas. Well I start'd out at tractor supply and got me one of those brown blocks and some buck jam. Found me a good ole rotten stump poured a little buck jam about a 1/4 the jug (VERY think stuff) and put the cam on it, went and check'd it a week later and no pics, but the stump was "clean" and some good activity around it, so I poured the rest of the the buck jam on it, and put the block on it, and I moved the camera a little closer, Iwas think'n the cam was too far away, and I switch'd it to video just for ******** and giggles. Went back 2 wks later and had 73 videos. Oh and the site was tore up real good, like a 5 ft radious from the stump, so I was really pump'd, got home about 13 videos had deer, that where walk'n on the trail I set it next to just look'n at it, and occasionally check'n it out, but the coons mainly looks like 3 of'm tore it up, I mean dude sat on the block eat'n it like cotton candy!! I know most of u guys take pics but for those that take vids, is this what u saw also?
slabhappy
button buck

Re: Lick ???

Postby FireCloud » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:10 pm

Yes, one or more raccoons will visit the feeder site multiple times per night and really pig out on the treats. You will also get heavy participation by possums, squirrels, and just about anything else that eats this stuff (and most animals do.) These non-target species will gobble up most of the food, with the deer actually getting the least share.

Typically, deer will eat a little of the treats but not much at one time. Deer are browsers by nature and not piggish. They don't like to stand still and eat a large bulk of food at any one time and place. Plus, if there is corn in the mix, their digestive system does not handle large quanities of corn very well.

I put out a feeder with corn in it after deer season closed and kept it filled the entire month of February this year. I took a ton of game photos. I also spent some time sitting in my tree stand about 15 yards from the feeder, both during the day and for a few hours now and then at night. This let me see the patterns of both the deer, the raccoons, and other animals visiting the feeder.

The raccoons came to the feeder multiple times every single night, with from one to three coming each night. The raccoons would wander off and return over and over, typically four to five times per night. They pig out on anything you have to offer.

Deer however wander by on a regular basis but typically just eat a little and wander on off. The "corn junkie" deer will stop by much more often, sometimes twice per day, and take a few bites. But deer are browsers and don't just sit at a feeder and stuff their belly full. Plus, that stuff is all "deer candy" and just like people, there is only so much candy you will eat before you want to eat something else.

I would occasionally see some of the deer that visited the site not eat any of the corn whatsoever and just browse on the normal forest vegatation they typically eat. It all depends on what the deer is hungry for at any given time. But having the food out does at least make them stop by to check on what is there, even if they don't actually eat anything you offered while they are in the area.

Now, since you are new to supplemental feeding, I respectfully suggest you read the rules on feeding wildlife. The MDWFP has regulations that prohibit doing what you describe as doing. Buck Jam or any similar product is never legal to use at any time. Nor are most "brown blocks." The rules only allow you to feed two items legally. You can feed protein pellets year round. And you can feed corn, either alone or mixed with protein pellets, during certain months of the year (not in March, April, May, June, October, and November however.)

You can also offer salt or minerals to deer year round. The reason why "brown blocks" are not legal is they contain things OTHER THAN just pure salt or minerals, such as molassas, corn, grains, etc. that cannot be fed to deer or any other animals.

I don't make these rules. In fact, I don't even agree with some of them. But I did feel you might want to know about them so that in case someone at the MDWFP reads your post you won't be getting a visit from them to issue you a citation to appear in court.

If you do want to make a legal salt lick, there are various recipies for mixing your own minerals and how to videos posted all over the internet. I have seen some good ones on You Tube. Raccoons, possums, squirrels, and the like will ordinarily not bother a legitimate mineral station set up the right way for deer. But the bucks WILL use it and in fact will dig a crater trying to get to the minerals!!

If you get some good photos, please post them.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby gibowhunter » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:32 pm

I wouldn't waste my money on most of the stuff you find marketed for deer. I would restart your lick with plain white stock salt or trace mineral salt, once it starts getting used then switch over to Free choice mineral or a combination of 2 parts trace mineral/ one part Di-Cal mineral. You will see much more deer activitiy and less non target species. You can buy a 50 pound bag of stock salt or trace mineral for what you can buy a 5 pound block or a small jug of molasses advertized for deer.
gibowhunter
button buck

Postby gtk » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:58 am

Be glad the deer "took" to your lick so quickly. It seem the licks I have started take about a year before the deer really start using them.

I usually just go to the local CO-OP and get some mineral salt and pour out. Once the deer start using it, they will use it for many years to come. Just freshen it up every year. I've also noticed that once the weather cools off, the deer tend to quit using salt licks as much..
gtk
Admin

Postby FC » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:31 pm

A Must for serious Bone Hunters and a need for anyone interested in wildlife.

Some claim that nothing beneficial has been proven ... Don't expect instant results but over time (2-5 years) you'll be able to judge for yourself ;)
FC
Boone&Crockett

Postby FireCloud » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:47 pm

Thought you might like to see a photo of a young buck digging at my mineral lick. The lick is at the base of this stump and is one part stock salt, two parts trace minerals, and one part di-calcium phosphate, mixed together throughly with some of the soil and lightly buried at the base of the stump. Three 50 pound bags of the ingredients cost about $32 total and will be enough to keep the site going for at least a full year.

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby danielw » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:10 pm

gtk wrote:Be glad the deer "took" to your lick so quickly. It seem the licks I have started take about a year before the deer really start using them.

I usually just go to the local CO-OP and get some mineral salt and pour out. Once the deer start using it, they will use it for many years to come. Just freshen it up every year. I've also noticed that once the weather cools off, the deer tend to quit using salt licks as much..

Deer will mostly use salt licks two times a year. The bucks will hit them hard in the Spring when growing new headgear. The does will use them in the late Summer/early Fall after fawns hit the ground.
danielw
10 Point

Postby FC » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:00 pm

have never heard or thought about that Daniel. Almost all of the licks I've established were in heavy cover to enhance usage during daylite or dark cause that's what I established them for, usage and hopefully benefits from. It just stands to reason the deer will use what's provided more if they feel safe and comfortable doing so.

I've approached my cameras during summer and bumped deer bedded 15-20 yards of the lick ...
FC
Boone&Crockett

Postby FireCloud » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:06 pm

Once a single deer finds a mineral lick, every other deer in the area will soon know about it. I put out fresh minerals last Friday and by this past Tuesday, just five days later, I had four deer showing up at the same time and hitting this lick for about 15 minutes. My camera got 15 photos of these four deer at the lick.

One of the deer, a young buck, was the deer that originally found this lick last weekend and he brought the other three deer to this site. When the other three deer left, he remained behind to keep hitting the minerals for at least another hour and I got 15 more photos of him.

Here are a couple of photos of the deer using this lick.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Habitat