• Advertisement

Food Plot 2010

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Food Plot 2010

Postby gtk » Mon May 17, 2010 2:18 pm

Hopefully I'm going to take pics of my food plot this year, on a fairly regular basis.. Its about 2 acres, and I plan on planting Round-up ready corn, mixed with some forage Round-up ready beans..

Step 1, I sprayed some HOT roundup on it a few weeks ago.
Step 2, bush hogged it ..
Step 3, Use a cutting disk to break it up..
gtk
Admin

Re: Food Plot 2010

Postby gtk » Mon May 17, 2010 2:20 pm

I left the spots of clover in their.. I can't believe the round-up didn't kill the ladino clover...

I plan on broadcasting these beans here, http://www.eagleseed.com/index.html
and go back and plant corn in rows..
gtk
Admin

Postby saddaddykiller » Mon May 17, 2010 2:43 pm

what we did last season was planted corn in some plots and then in october just went randomly and ploughed strips in the middle of corn and planted normal wheat/oats...we saw a good many deer early in the season in them plots cause it seemed like they felt comfortable with the cover from the corn stalks...the PROBLEM was after they ate all the corn from the plots the deer practically left to neighboring properties to find more corn...but of course deer move with the food and we dont put out feeders..its like eating your favorite food every day and then its gone so you leave to look for that particular food
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Mon May 17, 2010 2:48 pm

oh...nice looking plot

i have a question...i heard that after rr corn is planted matured and dried u can take the seeds and replant them and they will be RR is that true?
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby dustygoodson » Mon May 17, 2010 7:46 pm

:thumbsup: nice looking food plot i see i few trees i can pull behind in my ranger and blast a deer lol
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby STILLHUNTER » Mon May 17, 2010 9:44 pm

Ya GTK i was thinkin os somin dif.. to throw in mine this year. THink i have about 5 (5Gal) buckets of that round up corn i might need to try to throw some of that out thats if the corn seens any good now its been in them buckets a while
STILLHUNTER
dudesittinginatree

Postby FireCloud » Wed May 19, 2010 9:46 pm

What's the planting rate per acre for those beans? Also, what do they cost? Sounds very promising. I like the idea of using the mix rather than just a single variety however.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby sardisdeerhunter » Thu May 20, 2010 5:57 am

Looking good !!! I'm running behind on mine again ..
sardisdeerhunter
8 Point

Postby gtk » Thu May 20, 2010 8:44 am

FireCloud wrote:What's the planting rate per acre for those beans? Also, what do they cost? Sounds very promising. I like the idea of using the mix rather than just a single variety however.

I don't know the cost yet. I'll let you know maybe tomorrow if I can get by and pick them up.

I plan on getting my field ready, then broadcasting the soybeans at a medium rate. Then i'll either lightly harrow or cultipack them in the ground. I'll immediately follow up with the 2 row planter and put the corn in the ground.

My plan is hopefully the beans will grow thick in the corn.. These beans are supposed to get up to 6' tall.
gtk
Admin

Postby sardisdeerhunter » Thu May 20, 2010 9:07 am

Eagle seed ?
sardisdeerhunter
8 Point

Postby gtk » Thu May 20, 2010 9:25 am

eagle seed for the beans... i can't remember for the round-up ready corn.
gtk
Admin

Postby jbullard1 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:08 pm

Just a question GTK
Are you going to overspray the corn and beans with roundup??
If so dont make it HOT
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby gtk » Thu May 20, 2010 8:27 pm

Yes. I've never used Round Up ready beans, but I've planted the Round Up ready corn several times. Round Up doesn't faze it one bit :ylsuper:
gtk
Admin

Postby 204 ruger » Fri May 21, 2010 11:43 am

Have you gotten your RR corn yet? be prepared to sit down. LOL. I was at Seeds Inc last week and the only RR corn he has left is $238.00 a bag!! Coop's still have a little but it is still $180

Good luck. We have been planting every Sat. weather permitting.
204 ruger
6 Point

Postby gtk » Fri May 21, 2010 12:19 pm

I've got access to 1/2 a bag or corn from a farmer friend.. 8) I haven't priced the beans yet though..
gtk
Admin

Postby sardisdeerhunter » Fri May 21, 2010 1:35 pm

Seeds inc. told me 2 weeks ago that (Eagle seed) are sold out for the year ..
sardisdeerhunter
8 Point

Postby conservative » Sun May 23, 2010 3:09 am

saddaddykiller wrote:oh...nice looking plot

i have a question...i heard that after rr corn is planted matured and dried u can take the seeds and replant them and they will be RR is that true?

True "BUT" not legal to do so. I had planted a bag of shelled / feed corn one time with my soybeans and it survived two doses of glyphosate (roundup). Someone told me that was illegal. I didn't believe them until I emailed Monsanto and asked them. To my surprise I found out that I was wrong. It was and is illegal. :?
conservative
button buck

Postby gtk » Sun May 23, 2010 7:27 am

That's interesting.. I wonder if there is another reason simply besides the $$ issue..
gtk
Admin

Postby conservative » Sun May 23, 2010 7:10 pm

gtk wrote:That's interesting.. I wonder if there is another reason simply besides the $$ issue..

I'm not sure other than Monsanto says it is illegal to harvest their seed for the purpose of replanting or selling it. Technically I had no idea if I was buying feed corn that came from RR corn. Really, I didn't. I figured it probably was since I would bet most farmers plant RR corn now. I just wanted to try it to see what would happen. It's probably Monsanto's legal public stance but do they really care if the average John Doe from Mississippi happens to sew a bag of feed corn, hope that it comes up and actually makes ears and then leaves it standing for the wildlife with ZERO intentions of harvesting even one ear? That, by the way is what I did. Anyway how could they prove that my corn field came from "feed corn" or bought "seed corn"? That corn survived two roundup treatments and looked similar to another field of corn I had planted from the high $$ RR seed corn. The only difference was that it didn't hold up to the dry weather as good and didn't make as many ears as the seed corn did. Other than that it was really a good poor man's food plot. For the record, I am not utilizing that "practice" anymore and have repented of my evil ways even though it was truly "ignorance of the law" in my case. I attached a picture of that plot of soybeans / corn combo.
conservative
button buck

Postby LazyGhost » Sun May 23, 2010 7:22 pm

hmm...I dont know a lot about planting and such but thats the most ridiculous thing ive heard lately. Forgive me if I dont understand this right but,,,A fella buys a bag of corn seed, plants it, does whatever he does with it and saves some to plant with next year, then next year he plants the seed he saved. And thats illegal?

Im assuming thats because of some patent the seed supplier has. Or is it something else? I'm like most of ya'll and am "mostly" a law abiding citizen, but that law doesnt hold a lot of merrit to me.
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Sun May 23, 2010 8:43 pm

its all about the genetic research they have put into that corn.. I wonder if it has something to do with problems like these weeds that are all growing back "round-up" resistant !
gtk
Admin

Postby saddaddykiller » Sun May 23, 2010 9:38 pm

conservative wrote:
saddaddykiller wrote:oh...nice looking plot

True "BUT" not legal to do so. I had planted a bag of shelled / feed corn one time with my soybeans and it survived two doses of glyphosate (roundup). Someone told me that was illegal. I didn't believe them until I emailed Monsanto and asked them. To my surprise I found out that I was wrong. It was and is illegal. :?

wow i did not know that
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Mon May 24, 2010 3:46 pm

wait..let me get this straight
is it illegal to buy RR corn, plant it, save seeds, and replant them seeds
OR is it illegal to plant regular deer feed corn? or is both illegal? im a little confused now.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby lugnutzz » Mon May 24, 2010 6:06 pm

go to monsanto's website and read their stewardship agreement which you are required to sign anytime you purchase monsanto branded round up ready products... "brown bagging" seed is illegal, that is saving seed from a harvested rr crop and replanting it even for wildlife... there are variety and trait patents in place.. its the same way for any other seed companies seed.. we sell monsanto and pioneer branded varieties and traits...
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

~LugNutzZ

2012-13 Team 5
2013-14 Team 6 - "IronWood"
2014-15 Team 1 - The Mafia" - winner
2015-16 Team 3 - Triple Threat
lugnutzz
Boone&Crockett

Postby conservative » Mon May 24, 2010 6:43 pm

lugnutzz wrote:go to monsanto's website and read their stewardship agreement which you are required to sign anytime you purchase monsanto branded round up ready products... "brown bagging" seed is illegal, that is saving seed from a harvested rr crop and replanting it even for wildlife... there are variety and trait patents in place.. its the same way for any other seed companies seed.. we sell monsanto and pioneer branded varieties and traits...

Do you require someone to sign an agreement if they purchase a bag of "deer corn" from your store?
conservative
button buck

Next

Return to Wildlife Habitat